Sugar Cravings

How do you deal with sugar cravings? I have diabetes and I am limited to 145 carbs per day. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• mamad5
    mamad5 Posts: 22 Member
    I have been eating pomegranates to help with sugar cravings. They take a while to eat and seem to satisfy my cravings. 16carbs for a half a cup.
  • My best advise is to stay away from anything sweet really. It'll be a tough first week but you'll notice that your cravings will get smaller and eventually be gone.
  • its all in your head
  • FreedomSand
    FreedomSand Posts: 30 Member
    For some reason, many folks with diabetes crave sugar, and carbs in general. It's not because it is a 'forbidden fruit,' it seems to be part of the disease.

Finding ways to satisfy is hard to do. I don't have diabetes; my Dad does and lived with me 12 years prior to moving in to a nursing home a year ago. This was often discussed in the Diabetes support groups we attended, and in the DOE program: Diabetes Outpatient Education.

Can you try some sweet veg like carrots? I know depending on your diabetes, even a fruit can send your numbers skyrocketing -- my Dad is a very fragile diabetic, he reacts strongly to even one apple, his numbers soar. Sweet potato -- not 'sweet' but a complex carb - also seemed to help.
  • shaymo10
    shaymo10 Posts: 134 Member
    Much appreciated. I will try out some of these ideas. I am currently experimenting with cherries, as I heard this lowers sugar levels.