coconut oil.. Have you tried it?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    it has 86% saturated fat by weight
    Dont know about your weight loss but it will definitley clog up your arteries!
    Said with conviction......those darn medical journals with those complicated descriptions really make it difficult to understand sometimes, right? btw it's 92% and it really makes you wonder why all those hundreds of millions of indigenous peoples of the tropics are still procreating after that much saturated fat for that many millennial.........it's mind blowing right?
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Said with conviction......those darn medical journals with those complicated descriptions really make it difficult to understand sometimes, right? btw it's 92% and it really makes you wonder why all those hundreds of millions of indigenous peoples of the tropics are still procreating after that much saturated fat for that many millennial.........it's mind blowing right?

:laugh:
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Cardiovascular disease has more impact on longevity and incidence of stroke and heart attack rather than the ability to procreate. In order to look at the effect of a diet high in saturated fat , studies would need to be done to to compare that kind of data.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Cardiovascular disease has more impact on longevity and incidence of stroke and heart attack rather than the ability to procreate. In order to look at the effect of a diet high in saturated fat , studies would need to be done to to compare that kind of data.

People in areas of hihgh coconut oil and milk consumption are quite long lived. And, they have less cancer and heart disease than the general American population.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

People in areas of hihgh coconut oil and milk consumption are quite long lived. And, they have less cancer and heart disease than the general American population.

Which proves nothing...

That said Coconut Oil is delicious - and I can't imagine making Jamaican Rice and Peas without it :happy:
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Have not used it for cooking! But if you melt it up add a egg and whisk , it makes a protein rich hair mask???? x
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Do you have link to data, studies etc?
    Mostly, I was just pointing out that the ability to procreate doesn't have much to do with cardiovascular health.

Because there are a lot of variables with longevity and cardiovascular disease, it might also be more meaningful to compare the effects of a diet high in saturated fat in populations with similar characteristics.
    For example, American rate of heart disease is more likely correlated to obesity which is due to over consumption in general.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I cook with it and blend it in to coffee...

If you don't like the taste, buy refined oil. It won't have the supposed health benefits, but it'll be tasteless and odourless..
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Mostly, I was just pointing out that the ability to procreate doesn't have much to do with cardiovascular health.

Because there are a lot a variables with longevity and cardiovascular disease, it might also be more meaningful to compare the effects of a diet high in saturated fat in populations with similar characteristics.

http://examine.com/faq/is-saturated-fat-bad-for-me.html#ref2

Looking at reviews and meta-analysis' of controlled trials, there does not seem to be much evidence that saturated fat increases risk for Cardiovascular Diseases. However, replacing some saturated fat with polyunsaturated may reduce risk. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20351774

Disclosure - I havent read through each study though on that examine.com page yet
  • Greytfish
    Options

Because there are a lot a variables with longevity and cardiovascular disease, it might also be more meaningful to compare the effects of a diet high in saturated fat in populations with similar characteristics.

Procreation wasn't mentioned by that poster as a side effect of health. You took a tangent and ran with it and missed the point in the process.

The idea that saturated fats and blood cholesterol levels are significant factors in cardiovascular disease and death is itself based on a flawed assumption from flawed science. It wasn't even correct when they glossed over the fact that of many countries who consumed much more saturated fats and cholsetrold than the U.S. heart disease was still a bigger killer here.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

I hear ya. First we would need to see if a diet high in fat on it's own merit causes atherosclerosis and from what I've gathered, it doesn't, and dietary fat doesn't clog arteries, at all, that's not how it works. It's multifaceted but its basically caused by inflammation of the endothelial cells of vessel walls with some particles of LDL molecules that tend to find their way into those endothelial cells and oxidate. When this oxidation takes place macrophages try and contain that inflammation and create foam cells but eventually the immune system and those white blood cells are unable to handle all of it which creates more inflammation and the cycle continues. The LDL connection has caused most of the past and some current misinformation about fat and especially saturated fat in the diet and more than likely what that poster believes to be a truism based on that limited knowledge. Not all LDL lipoproteins are created equally and it's pretty common knowledge amoung those researchers that small dense LDL's are the ones associated with heart disease. Researching small dense LDL and it's associated lifestyle may be a good primer to get involved with in this process, I do urge people to do that.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I use it on my hair and skin, keeps everything nice and soft :)
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    http://io9.com/how-many-of-your-health-supplements-are-actually-snake-1492960177

So, there is conflicting evidence that coconut-oil has any effects at all. I would be skeptical to any claims they make to positive effects.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Love coconut oil.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think its pretty funny that coconut oil is the latest health/weight loss trend. I used to live in Southeast Asia where it was a very common cooking product. Trust me, it doesn't have any magical weight loss properties; its a pretty ordinary food in much of the world--and plenty of people who cook with it regularly aren't healthy at all (judging by the people I knew, at least!).

That said, it is yummy! I cook with a variety of oils (olive, canola, sesame, coconut), and it is one I enjoy.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    It's not magic, for weight loss or other things, but it is healthier than the other oils in that list.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like it. I've had 2 kinds. One had no taste at all. The other tastes like coconut milk. I only use that one in certain dishes because the flavor is strong.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think its pretty funny that coconut oil is the latest health/weight loss trend. I used to live in Southeast Asia where it was a very common cooking product. Trust me, it doesn't have any magical weight loss properties; its a pretty ordinary food in much of the world--and plenty of people who cook with it regularly aren't healthy at all (judging by the people I knew, at least!).

That said, it is yummy! I cook with a variety of oils (olive, canola, sesame, coconut), and it is one I enjoy.

This! LOL :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love it for frying, but it's too expensive to eat all the time.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    it's really nice for baking to replace butter, and it doesn't leave a coconut taste if you use it in regular cooking, but the thing is you should only use it to replace butter, because coconut oil, like butter, is a saturated fat (it's solid at room temperature), and so if you are usually using a lot of olive oil and canola oil and these oils that are healthy unsatured fats and suddenly replace it all with coconut oil you will be adding a lot of saturated fat to your diet which isn't good. I would definitely use it to replace butter especially with sweet things because it tastes good and has more nutrients it seems.

Another complaint is that it comes in a jar, not in a stick like butter, so getting it out (especially measuring it for recipes like 1/4 cup or something) is very difficult. Also in baking it is a 1:1 ratio, if it calls for 1/4 cup butter, it's 1/4 cup coconut oil.