College student in need of some SERIOUS nutrition help

Options
Hi everyone, I am a 23 year old college student. I have been on MFP for about 2 and a half months now and It's been great but I need some serious help with my nutrition. I live at home with my single mother and two siblings under 10. So buying healthy food isn't on the top of my mom's list right now and I make just enough to pay bills and for bus money so I can't even buy the food I need to be healthier, so I need some help on how to maintain a healthy diet while eating not so healthy food. Is it portion control? Do I need to exercise more? Please help.

P.S I am also looking for friends for motivation and support. Feel free to add me

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If in doubt, raw fruit.

I think my diet is fairly balanced, but MFP often says I dont eat enough iron or calcium. This may be because the products that I put in dont have these figures put in, but even still, I take 'vitamin' tablets each day to make sure.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eat as much 'healthy' as you can that's been brought into the house, otherwise, work with what you have.

For weightloss, you can literally eat ANYTHING you want, you just have to keep it within your calorie goal and maintain your deficit.

In the words of Tim Gunn, "Make it work."

You'll see plenty of people on here who still eat ice cream, chips, oreos & soda, that still lose weight. They simply fit it into their day and moderate how much.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I do not know too much about eating on a tight budget. My suggestions would be to offer to cook, if you can some nights or days per week. Help your Mom with grocery shopping, try to talk her into some inexpensive or clearance items that can be healthy. If you're not buying beans or eggs, for example, those could really help with a healthy diet. What sorts of things is she able to buy now? I agree work with what you've got to make what you need, watch coupons and clearance deals like a hawk
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am a 23 year old college student. I have been on MFP for about 2 and a half months now and It's been great but I need some serious help with my nutrition. I live at home with my single mother and two siblings under 10. So buying healthy food isn't on the top of my mom's list right now and I make just enough to pay bills and for bus money so I can't even buy the food I need to be healthier, so I need some help on how to maintain a healthy diet while eating not so healthy food. Is it portion control? Do I need to exercise more? Please help.

P.S I am also looking for friends for motivation and support. Feel free to add me

Maybe do some research and help mom out by learning inexpensive ways to make healthy meals? She might be glad you're willing to help her out. In the meantime, cut portions of what's being served to fit your calorie goals. Remember vegetable are very low-cal so you can eat a lot of them, and less of anything else so you're still full without extra calories.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    My diet is not for everybody, but it has good nutrition and is cheap, about $100 a month for one person.

I make the basics in batches.

For breakfast, I cook a large pot of steel cut oats and then reheat some every morning (just add a little water) with chopped apple instead of sugar.

For lunch and dinner, I cook a lot of lentils. One cup has 18 g protein (the protein of 3 eggs). The lentils cost about $1.00 a bag in the grocery store. One bag makes about 5 cups of food. They cook in 20-30 minutes.

Some people find beans hard to digest because we lack an enzyme to digest the coat or shell. Soaking takes care of this or you can add extra water and cook until very soft. I then stir fry some lentils in a little olive oil in a pan with chopped veggies like carrots and sweet onions. For spice, I add some McCormick's Perfect Pinch spices -- they have a line of spices with no MSG/no salt/no sugar. I also eat a lot of steamed greens like kale, collards, and spinach.

I cook brown rice in a rice cooker and eat that instead of bread (read the label if you buy bread because a lot of it has corn syrup, which adds calories and causes cravings). Rice costs between $1.00 a bag up to $5.00 for organic.

You can also make soups that will keep in the fridge for a week. Soups are very nutritious and not expensive.

Do you live near a Mexican or Latino grocery store? They often have onions, tomatoes, and other fresh vegetables at far lower prices than the chain grocery stores.

Editing this to add that sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes -- they are lower in calories and higher in some other nutrients.
  • Kimo0590
    Kimo0590 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks guyz these are some really good ideas. Keep em coming!
  • brightblueskie
    Options
    Good for you! Sounds like you're shouldering a lot but doing your best to make positive choices.

I second the idea of offering to cook a few times a week - some of my college favorites were (and still are!) rice and beans (dried beans are SO cheap, super nutritious, and easy to make - they just take a little time), eggs, and cabbage soup. Hot sauce is something that really helps the flavor of all of the above. I'm very busy these days and I'll make a big pot of beans and rice on Sundays and eat the leftovers all week.

Packaged/processed foods are often more expensive than the alternatives - case in point, Uncle Ben's precooked rice vs. a bag of brown rice. Check your unit labels to find the best deal. Get frozen veggies on sale.

You've got this! Good luck!
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    Hi,

I am from Australia, I am 20 years old and go to University, I also live with my single mother and my younger sister and I know it can be really tough financially.
    Maybe you could try talking to your mom about add a few healthy cheap basics in bulk. For example you could plan your meals out for the week i.e. oatmeal or eggs for breakfast (inexpensive), some kind of protein (canned tuna, beans etc) for lunch and buy some vegetables to pair with a protein of your choice for dinner. I hope this helps in some way.

Good luck and I wish you all the best.
  • EyesOnSize8
    Options
    Kimo - I give you big props for focusing on your health! Your family is going to benefit from it too and I bet that feels great. I just wanted to chime in to suggest frozen veggies...You can get them for $1 a bag or less and the fact that they are frozen doesn't mean they've lost their nutrition. Some other things to investigate are whether there is a produce market near you...they sometimes have better veggie prices than the chain grocery. Farmer's markets sometimes double food stamp values too. (Not sure if you use those.)

I also would add that if you care about your health, which obviously you do, it DOES matter what you choose to spend your calories on (contrary to an earlier post.) I'm sure you are smart enough to know that it matters whether your daily calories are full of Oreos and ice cream or veggies and grains...just had to point out the ridiculousness of that earlier comment.
  • Kimo0590
    Kimo0590 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you for your input it really makes it seem easy to eat the right things even when I don't have control over what is bought. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will be taking all of it into consideration.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am back in school myself and for cheap healthy food I got with all kind of beans, lentils, tofu, canned tuna. I watched the veggies/fruits on sale and that's what will be on the menu that week! Well, I actually look at every sale, meat, dairy and stock up whenever i can... Frozen veggies are a great option and nutrition wise they are sometimes better than the one we buy that have been waiting to be bought....but i personally do not like the texture of them. I prefer putting nutritious food into my body over any process food, but our body doesn't differentiate if it is good or bad sugar, good or bad carbs, it comes down to all the same thing, The difference is the nutrition you get from them.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You could also see if your mom would be willing to swap an unhealthy snack (such as chips, etc) for a healthy snack such as fruit. Also, buy fruit that is in season for your area. Where I live, oranges are considered "in season" right now and a lot cheaper than grapes or strawberries.

Also, if you can, buy chicken when it is on sale (buy as much as you can), freeze it and then thaw it as you need it.

I know it has been suggested already, but see if you can buy frozen veggies, and try to stock up when they are on sale. They're usually cheaper than the fresh veggies and they still have the nutrients in them.