Getting Started -

Options
My name is Marti. I am an ICU nurse. I deal with obesity and diabetes and all sorts of health problems every day and somehow I have let my life and my busy schedule derail my own health. I'm trying to take it back on step at a time.

For the record, I am BUSY. I am ACTIVE. We are tent campers. We hike. We love to walk. We are always chasing our kids or other kids or grandkids. We never seem to stop going and going and going. Our children are young and healthy. The weight just crept up on me. 5 or 10 pounds a year.

I was already on the path to obesity working the night shift and not sleeping well. Then 2 years ago I had a rollover accident with a semi. I broke my leg and a few ribs and tossed my back and neck. That led to 3 months of a wheelchair. FOr the next year I struggled to do PT 3 times a week. I was in chronic pain and I was really pushing myself anyway, not realizing that my leg was still broken. It took about 18 months to get it all figured out. I am 6 months relatively pain free now, but needless to say my metabolism is stagnant, and I have lost the majority of my muscle mass. I need to get back on track or I am looking at high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis and generally a miserable existence.

My ideal weight is supposedly 105 pounds, but I was never that thin, even in my judo days, so my goal is 130 pounds. I am terrified to admit that I need to lose 75 pounds. It seems insurmountable. I'm just trying to kick start my weight loss by being accountable to someone besides myself. Not a resolution, it just happens to coincide with the New Year.

Replies

• mrsidecar
    mrsidecar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good for you. After the holidays I was set back about 14lbs but I was 60 lbs down. Now I'm back on and looking to drop 23 more lbs. at least. If I can do it you can to welcome aboard.
  • shutrbugz
    Options
    Hi Marti! It's a miracle you survived a collision with a semi and you survived for a reason — of that I feel certain. Sometimes the road before us can seem insurmountable and that's why you take it one moment at a time. Put one foot in front of the other. You've already begun your journey now it's just a matter of staying focused on your goals. Best wishes as you make your way back to good health and if I can help in any way, let me know. :smile:
  • CCNurseMarti
    CCNurseMarti Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! It is going to be a long slow road, but I am trying to take it one lifestyle change at a time. If anyone has any good ideas for legs, I would appreciate it. I am definately a pear shape and carry the majority of weight in my legs.

One of my major motivators to get started was my own doctor. Not because he motivated me, but he stunned me. During a visit when I was asking about weight loss options, he actually said to me "You don't LOOK like you weigh 200 pounds. You carry it so well..." WHAT? I carry it well? I carry an extra hundred pounds of fat WELL? I wear a size 18 pants but I carry it well??? I can't run a block but I carry it well??? How on earth can I educate people to lose weight and control their sugar intake when doctors are OK WITH OBESITY??? That was really the last straw for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site!

Just start by logging all your food, and then look over your food diary and learn from it. You just have to take one day at a time and do the best you can and don't beat yourself up over what you may think is less than perfection.

I agree that the medical field has let patients down on an epic level: I was 60 pounds overweight for a decade and not any of my healthcare professionals said one word to me about it. That's a shameful lack of care and a waste of education in my opinion.

Here is a great thread for you to read to help you get started:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

edit to add:

There is not an exercise to target weight loss in one area of the body over another. You have to lose fat in general and your legs will thin as you go. Weight loss is 100% about creating a calorie deficit - eating a little less. Exercise can help you with creating a larger deficit and is good for you in general as you know. If you want to exercise, choose something you love and that you will do on a regular basis.

• CCNurseMarti
    Options
    Hi Marti! It's a miracle you survived a collision with a semi and you survived for a reason — of that I feel certain. Sometimes the road before us can seem insurmountable and that's why you take it one moment at a time. Put one foot in front of the other. You've already begun your journey now it's just a matter of staying focused on your goals. Best wishes as you make your way back to good health and if I can help in any way, let me know. :smile:

Thanks, it was a miracle indeed. And the road to recovery has been slow. It is amazing to me what chronic pain does to your mindset. I appreciate all the support I can get, along with the accountability. If you have room for friends, feel free to add me! (I doubt I will be a frequent poster in the forums, but I do plan to check in every day with my food and exercise logs. I would welcome motivation!)
  • CCNurseMarti
    Options
    Good for you. After the holidays I was set back about 14lbs but I was 60 lbs down. Now I'm back on and looking to drop 23 more lbs. at least. If I can do it you can to welcome aboard.

COngratulations! That is such an achievement, and to be 14 pounds setback and not get discouraged! I am a bit of an extremist, so I am hoping I can overcome all the little setbacks. Thanks for the warm welcome and the inspiration!