Baked Eggplant with Mushroom-and-Tomato Sauce

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member

Ingredients
1 peeled eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
2/3 cup (about 3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preparation
Preheat broiler.
Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat; add onion and next 4 ingredients (onion through mushrooms). Cover and cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high; uncover and cook for 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates.

Spread half of mushroom mixture in bottom of a 1 1/2-quart round baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant slices over mushroom mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1/3 cup mozzarella. Spread remaining mushroom mixture over mozzarella; top with remaining eggplant slices. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper; top with remaining tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes.

Yield
4 servings

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 168(30% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 3.2g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.5g); IRON 2.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 16mg; CALCIUM 236mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21g; SODIUM 369mg; PROTEIN 10.9g; FIBER 6.1g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2000

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options

Ingredients
    1 peeled eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
    Cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
    1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
    2/3 cup (about 3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preparation
    Preheat broiler.
    Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat; add onion and next 4 ingredients (onion through mushrooms). Cover and cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high; uncover and cook for 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates.

Spread half of mushroom mixture in bottom of a 1 1/2-quart round baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant slices over mushroom mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1/3 cup mozzarella. Spread remaining mushroom mixture over mozzarella; top with remaining eggplant slices. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper; top with remaining tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes.

Yield
    4 servings

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 168(30% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 3.2g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.5g); IRON 2.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 16mg; CALCIUM 236mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21g; SODIUM 369mg; PROTEIN 10.9g; FIBER 6.1g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2000
  • runningdevil
    runningdevil Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This also sounds delicious. I love your recipes! They are very veg-friendly, I appreciate that!:tongue:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    This also sounds delicious. I love your recipes! They are very veg-friendly, I appreciate that!:tongue:
    Thanks! :) I have to have variety because I like lots of veggies and my hubby doesn't eat beef or pork! And chicken and fish get old sometimes! :laugh: :laugh:
  • marathongirly
    marathongirly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just joined today and the two recipes I check out first BOTH happened to be yours!!! Sounds like I like the same kind of food you do....NOW I just need you to make them for me.....Actually I think I can do them....I'll let you know how it goes.
    Way to go on the weight loss!!! WOW! That's fabulous! BE PROUD!
    All the best
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I just joined today and the two recipes I check out first BOTH happened to be yours!!! Sounds like I like the same kind of food you do....NOW I just need you to make them for me.....Actually I think I can do them....I'll let you know how it goes.
    Way to go on the weight loss!!! WOW! That's fabulous! BE PROUD!
    All the best

Thank you so much and welcome to the site! This is a WONDERFUL place to go to for information and support. You might get addicted!! :wink:

Most of the recipes I post are from Cooking Light. I subscribe to the publication and am constantly checking out their recipes online for something new. I cook from them a lot. The great thing is they do focus on healthful meals and cutting fats where you can but they don't make everything completely "Fat-free" which means taste free! Plus you DO need fats in your diet! :)

Anyway, best of luck to you in reaching your goals!

:flowerforyou:
    -Tami
  • marathongirly
    marathongirly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tami! I use to get that magazine...and loved it but really appreciate knowing that someone else found it yummy and not just some food editor. I'm going to check more of yours out. Thanks again!
    Jennifer
  • runningdevil
    runningdevil Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    OK, I tried this recipe last week and it was fan-freaking-tastic! It was so good that my husband requested I make it again sometime (I'm making it this evening). And he's not even vegetarian!
    Thanks TAM! :love:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    OK, I tried this recipe last week and it was fan-freaking-tastic! It was so good that my husband requested I make it again sometime (I'm making it this evening). And he's not even vegetarian!
    Thanks TAM! :love:

Wooo! That's awesome!!! You are very welcome.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    eggplants-ck-222191-l.jpg
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yum O!!!

This would hit the spot.... *sigh*
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Ok, now I have this baking and am SO looking forward to it!! And with the low cals and fat, I have already calculated 2 portions into my dinner, along with some green beans!! MMMM!!

I haven't tasted it yet but it smells wonderful! This just goes to show that with the right ingredients, you don't have to sacrifice flavor even if you do go the healthy route.

Then I have butterscoth blondies for dessert!!!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Ok, I made this on Wed and am making it again tonight. It is THAT good!!!!! SUPER filling and tasty!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmm okay where were you yesterday when I made o'skool Eggplant Parm....LOL

I did some calc's on my own and not too bad...still next time I'm gonna try this out...course the family may not be thrilled....I make my Eggplant stuffed....so almost like a lasagna...w/ the ricotta mixture in the middle...mmmm it was good....BUT back to the "good" one....back to the good one Ali....:ohwell: :tongue:

thanks Tam!!
    hugs and love!
    Ali
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Bump
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumpin' Tam! Guess what's on the grocery list now?!

mmmmm, I can already smell it :tongue:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks for bumpin' Tam! Guess what's on the grocery list now?!

mmmmm, I can already smell it :tongue:
    I have to say, it is darn good and you get a HUGE portion!! And if you have enough calories, have 2 huge portions!! LMAO! This is one of my fav staples now!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Bump, I am thinking of making this later.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This looks yummy! Eggplant is going on my next shopping list!

Have you ever had Italian eggplant? My neighbor planted some last year and she gave us quite a few as they were ripening. They are smaller like a zucchini and oh so delicious! I'd split them in half, brush with olive oil, alittle salt & pepper then grill. And besides tasting good the plant was beautiful, greenish purple leaves and small lavender flowers. I'm putting some into my flower bed next year.
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and it was YUMMY!!!!!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Bump. Making tonight