Treadmill Runners in the Winter - How do you do it?

Options
Lately, I have been running on the treadmill and am wanting to do a half marathon later this year. I live in Illinois, in a place without sidewalks and our city doesn't salt or plow very well, so I don't feel comfortable running outside when it gets dark and it's icy/snowy.. I am getting bored on the treadmill though. For those running on the treadmill, any motivation or ideas to keep from getting bored? TIA!

Replies

• sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Park the treadmill in front of the tv and put on a movie I love.

I get soooooo bored on the treadmill, but eventually I get lost in thought or the tv and the time passes.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use a TV or my tablet and watch netflix or my favorite shows on a network app. But yes, I watch something because running (or walking) on a treadmill for an hour or more is seriously boring.

God bless,
    Karen
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    TV helps. I would also start incorporating shorter interval runs into your schedule to keep it interesting. HIIT is beneficial to any runner's routine anyway. I did 4 months of training on the treadmill in the summer because I live in Texas and I would die in the heat otherwise. I have run 10 miles on the treadmill multiple times. It's not fun, but you just gotta push through it.
  • WSG88
    WSG88 Posts: 13
    Options
    I too have my treadmill in front of the TV, and if that doesn't work I listen to my Ipod. I still get bored but those 2 things help me.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Can you run outside at lunchtime when it's daylight wearing YakTrax or similar?
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    If I'm at home I watch a show that I either previously recorded or that is on the TV at the time I'm running.

At the gym I do one day of speed work, one day of a tempo run, one day of an all out as fast as I can run and one day slow run. Variety helps a lot however I'm also not running more than 3-6 miles. I feel your pain though. When I was training for a half if I skipped my long run I had to do it on a treadmill at the gym. There is nothing worse than running 10 miles on a treadmill.

Oh wait. Yes there is. Accidentally hitting the STOP button at around mile 7 and having the treadmill completely stop and shut off.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would buy a safety strobe light, some Yaktrak/Stablicers and a pair of fleece lined tights and hit the open road. And, if the snow piles up, snowshoes are really fun! Winter conditions are no reason to stop your outdoor workouts.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I listen to music and take it mile by mile. I totally understand how much TM running can suck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Dress properly (warmth & visibility) and running outside can be very enjoyable. I try to keep my treadmill use to a minimum (freezing rain or extreme cold conditions), even with the TV in the family room it's so boring - especially as you start having the longer runs in your HM training plan (I did 10 miles on mine a couple of weeks ago, it nearly killed me; 10 miles outside last Sunday was bliss)
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I have my treadmill and bike parked infront of the TV unfortunately. I use that 50% of the time, the other days I use my itunes and listen to audio books or music. I can not wait till spring is here and I can do this stuff outside again!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I hear you on that - I don't have a treadmill at home so I have to go to the gym. Even though I know logically people probably really don't care/pay attention, I get really self-conscious and bored. I have no idea how to run more lightly on my feet so I feel like a hippo stomping all over the damn thing.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Running indoors or outdoors makes no difference to me. I tune everything out except for my breathing and my stride. As soon as my attention shifts to nature's wonders or the treadmill, I can't run anymore. The mental chatter starts and I'm finished.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I HATE the treadmill....but I live in northern WI and the temps lately do not allow for outdoor running. We have ours hooked up to our dish system, but I still get bored. So I got nothin'.....:laugh:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at my gym have there own built in TV's that you have total control over. I scout out what is going to be on TV and plan around that. Then I run during the movie/show/sporting event and walk the commericals. I have come to prefer it over outdoor running, except in the springtime when the weather is moderate and I just want to be outdoors after winter.
  • CoachB6
    CoachB6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've run 5 half marathons and have done a majority of my training on the treadmill. My schedule, as well as where I live, doesn't always permit me to run outside. (I do see better "body" results by training outside though, so I wish I could run outside more often.)

Whether it's a great playlist on my phone or watching tv, I make it through runs.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I bought a roku 3 for my old crappy garage tv.

Now I watch super old episodes of Doctor Who from Amazon Prime while I run.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I found watching TV makes it more painful for me using the treadmill. If I can pay enough attention to my body as I run on the treadmill, it helps me from going crazy. Music or audio-book is essential too. I also use the treadmill before work and use the motivation that I could just stop and go into the office early or keep going as motivation to get me through my 45-60 minutes. Feels awesome when you’re done though and remembering that keeps me getting up every morning.
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on the DREADmill for the next few weeks too...I live in rural Maine so running outside is not an option if I don't want to fall and sustain an injury or be picked off by a snowplow so I feel your pain. My treadmill is on an unheated porch that has some windows so it kind of feels like I'm outside (its cold anyways! ;)...and then I bring my laptop and watch shows. Lately I have been watching Amazing Race episodes and I feel like I'm racing too and/or Walking Dead and then it's like homemade Zombie Run. Cheesy, I know, but anything to get me through the winter months. I do feel like fast paced/action oriented works better than shows or movies where I need to hear the dialogue well to enjoy it. I also do some interval training and usually listen to music on those days. Good luck! Keep at it! Running through the winter will be well worth it when we're all back outside enjoying our runs (and not having to start from scratch since we sat all winter)!! Best to you!!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    learn a new language?
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The treadmills at the gym have tv programmed in them so you can watch tv while running/walking. I typically don't though. I play games with my speeds and change things up. I don't run the full time though. For runners that just run--I imagine it will get boring.