Suggestions For A Body Fat Analysis Scale?

Options
So, I bought a Homedics Personal Trainer Health Station (or w/e it's called) and it was fine for a couple days... Until it started fluctuating wildly when I would step on the scale... Even if I stepped on there two or three times in a row. Frustrating! Don't buy that scale, ever.

Anyway! I was hoping that someone here could guide me toward buying a much better scale. I'm hoping for something that can accurately display body fat trends, body weight, and maybe muscle mass. I am also crossing my fingers that there's one out there for $100 or less.... If that even exists.

Your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated, I hope you're having a great New Year!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust any scale for a body fat analysis, to be honest. I have a weight watchers scale that is supposed to do body fat analysis, bone mass, etc., but there are so many factors, it's hard to know when it's accurate and when it's not. I just don't trust it, so I go by pictures and what I see in the mirror.

If it's really that important to you, find a place that has a bod pod, and get it measured there. Or get a caliper measurement done, even though this has its faults too.
  • professormudd1
    Options
    Those scales test your body impedence (resistance to electrical conductivity), and they can vary pretty widely depending on the amount of water in your system, how dry/moist your skin is, and a several other variables. Honestly, I think you would be better off with a measuring tape and a good digital scale. If you are set on using body impedence to measure your fat loss, the hand held ones are better, in my opinion.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to a cheap scale with body fat data, either. Get a cheap set of calipers or just measure around your waist or go by how you look and how your clothes fit.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbit's Aria Scale. I don't trust the number to be absolutely accurate but it does seem consistent to itself. The other thing is that, after using it for 18 months, the Fat% varies depending on how my muscles are holding water. Entertaining and encouraging but I wouldn't say that it show my absolute Body Fat %...a DEXA scan is the best way to do that.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    They're wildly inaccurate. Variance isn't due to changes in fat, but rather hydration. Pretty useless if your goal is fat loss.

A skin caliper test is about the best you'll get for an afforable price.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust any scale for a body fat analysis, to be honest.

Yup. I just go by the mirror.

Am I happy with how I look?

Not really.

Okay, keep working.
  • ciki90
    ciki90 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I know that body fat analysis scales aren't totally accurate, but I just want one that's consistent and shows a downward or upward trend. As long as the numbers are showing my progress, I'll be happy with it.

The Fitbit Aria Scale ... Does it require the fitbit band to go with it or can I just use it by itself?
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    The point is, by design they aren't consistent because they cannor distinguish between 3 pounds of body fat and 2 quarts of water. You'll never actually be measuring anything of consequence.
  • BigAlNyc
    BigAlNyc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I know that body fat analysis scales aren't totally accurate, but I just want one that's consistent and shows a downward or upward trend. As long as the numbers are showing my progress, I'll be happy with it.

The Fitbit Aria Scale ... Does it require the fitbit band to go with it or can I just use it by itself?
    By itself it will work
  • kaitiebeth89
    kaitiebeth89 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I bought a weight watchers scale at Kohl's the other day on sale for $40. It pretty cool! It can store up to four users. It measures weight, BMI, water weight, and body fat percentage.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Bonus of the Aria Scale is that it links through Trendweight.com which allows you to see your daily weigh-in's and track your average weight and see if you're on a gaining or losing trend. Resolves about 95% of the craziness that comes with water fluctuations which is 3 to 6 lbs swing per day for me.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    How can a scale you step on distinguish water weight from fat?
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    They all vary widely from each other, and sometimes from themselves - weighing barefoot, at the same time of day (morning best) when you have not eaten or drank anything yet works well on mine. It also tells you % hydration, so if that is fluctuating wildly then chances are you are not getting a good measurement.

I use the Tanita Ironman and it (although not perfect, I'm sure) works for me. When I have been off it for a month or 2 and I know that I have put on excess weight around my middle, yep, the results are what I expect. So whether I am actually 26 or 28% body fat - who cares. It may be wrong. What I want to know, is, are the numbers moving in the right direction? I think this one works, at least is does for me. It's more than $100 though... Can't remember, but I think about $170.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options

by sending a small electrical current through your body. The electricity goes through muscle at a different rate than fat. From the time it takes to go through the body, a rough body fat % can be calculated.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

by sending a small electrical current through your body. The electricity goes through muscle at a different rate than fat. From the time it takes to go through the body, a rough body fat % can be calculated.

Wow, I never knew that. However, aren't folks reporting here that it's really not that accurate?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I use an Omron BF508 scale - it has the advantage of having both hand and feet sensors so at least it's trying to measure your whole body. Have a look on Amazon for local prices.

If used at a consistent time of day and hydration levels it should be OK to give you a trend - just don't take it as gospel. Out of curiosity I took it along to a sports lab where I was getting a BodPod analysis done and the numbers were very close but the weight measurement was actually out by 2lbs against their calibrated scale.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I have an older Omron, and I treat its BF% report as essentially worthless. It will go up and down - but in tandem with weight so it is really just another form of weight reporting. Seems - and this is just a guess on my part - that it's BF% algorithm is very heavily influenced by actual scale weight, and very little influenced by any sort of impedance or other attempt at actually measuring BF%. My scale sometimes varies by 0.4 lbs from minute-to-minute (i.e., weigh; step off; step back on to weigh again within 60 seconds; scale moves in increments of 0.2). Amazingly, when that happens, the BF% changes, too!

ETA: changed "not at all" influenced" to "very little influenced."
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would say to rid your thoughts of tracking bf% by a scale or even a BEM (handheld) device. They are generally innaccurate.

You can try and get a dexa scan, a bod pod, or using calipers (although i would have someone do it for you who knows what they're doing).

You may be better off checking with the above methods periodically.

I was suckered into purching an Omron and although i know the bf% was WRONG (as in 14% when i was clearly 18-19%) it was still CONSISTENT. So i was able to track loss of BF (although, again wrong) over a period of time.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I have an older Omron, and I treat its BF% report as essentially worthless. It will go up and down - but in tandem with weight so it is really just another form of weight reporting. Seems - and this is just a guess on my part - that it's BF% algorithm is very heavily influenced by actual scale weight, and very little influenced by any sort of impedance or other attempt at actually measuring BF%. My scale sometimes varies by 0.4 lbs from minute-to-minute (i.e., weigh; step off; step back on to weigh again within 60 seconds; scale moves in increments of 0.2). Amazingly, when that happens, the BF% changes, too!

ETA: changed "not at all" influenced" to "very little influenced."

Again - just my experience and my personal, older Omron scale. But I just did an experiment after a shower. I am male, 5' 9" tall. I have that profile saved in the scale. I created a new profile - male, 6' 1" tall. And then I stepped on for multiple readings on both profiles.

Turns out that the 5' 9" me has about a 2.5% greater BF% than the imaginary 6' 1" me. :grumble: I wouldn't expect such a big difference if the main input to BF% was some sort of semi-accurate electrical impedance test. The fact that the scale's BF% as measured when I had a hydrostatic test a month and a half back was wildly off, too, means I put little faith in anything the scale can report.

YMMV, and by all means get one if you like - I'd just caution not to put too many expectations on how informative it is going to be for you.