Treadmill Runners in the Winter - How do you do it?

Options

Replies

• tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am also a treadmill hater.

I mix it up by doing different kinds of intervals and challenges, which is good to be doing anyway if you're training for a race. For example:

Intervals: Alternate sprinting (or fast running) 400 or 800 meters with jogging or speed walking the same distance. Start at 4x400 and work your way up to more intervals and/or faster speeds.

Tempo runs: Start at a slower pace, and increase your speed every 5 minutes. Once you peak at top speed, work your way down again 5 minutes at a time.

Hills: Use the hill setting to challenge yourself.

If at all possible, try to still do your long runs outside. Can you drive somewhere that might have cleared paths? Personally, I can't do more than 6 miles on a treadmill without going insane. :)
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just pulled mine into the living room in front of Big Screen TV....watch while watching Family Feuds....Easy Hour!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I can't run on a treadmill. I get my cleats on and consider the world an obstacle course. I run in the middle of the road ready to evade speeding garbage trucks at lightning pace.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Lately, I have been running on the treadmill and am wanting to do a half marathon later this year. I live in Illinois, in a place without sidewalks and our city doesn't salt or plow very well, so I don't feel comfortable running outside when it gets dark and it's icy/snowy.. I am getting bored on the treadmill though. For those running on the treadmill, any motivation or ideas to keep from getting bored? TIA!

I'm right there with you. I live near Belleville, IL in cornfield country and train regularly for half marathons on roads that have not been snowplowed. Normally most of our snow is due to warm fronts, but the last few snow events have been due to cold fronts, meaning there is no warm air behind the snow to begin the melt and clear the roads. I tried the treadmill yesterday at the base gym, but the indoor temperature was too high and I overheated.

On the few times treadmills have worked for me, I watch my Netflix app on my phone. I imagine trying to learn a language could make time pass by, and there is even an app where you "run away" from zombies and earn points, although I do not own that and cannot vouch for how well it works.

My personal solution is not perfect, but it is all I can do for now. Unless the roads are clear of ice/snow, I don't do Tempo/Speedwork runs since the lack of traction can be dangerous. Focus on doing Easy runs with short steps and Long runs. If I can find a short route with relatively clear roads, I do that repeatedly to fill in for my Long run.

I don't run in the dark either, so I save all my relatively shorter runs during the workweek and my long run on the weekend.

Good luck!

Mike
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If I'm at home I watch a show that I either previously recorded or that is on the TV at the time I'm running.

At the gym I do one day of speed work, one day of a tempo run, one day of an all out as fast as I can run and one day slow run. Variety helps a lot however I'm also not running more than 3-6 miles. I feel your pain though. When I was training for a half if I skipped my long run I had to do it on a treadmill at the gym. There is nothing worse than running 10 miles on a treadmill.

Oh wait. Yes there is. Accidentally hitting the STOP button at around mile 7 and having the treadmill completely stop and shut off.

I know exactly what you mean! I'd rather run outside for my longer runs as well. No more than 7 miles on the treadmill. I always do sprints or hills to keep some variety in my run. If I'm not watching TV then I have my trusty iPod. I will say that the treadmill helps me keep a consistent pace and helps me control certain aspects of my run. When I'm outdoors I enjoy that so much that I have to focus and remember to pick up the pace.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Oh wait. Yes there is. Accidentally hitting the STOP button at around mile 7 and having the treadmill completely stop and shut off.

Yeeeeah...

I've been there. Just the other day (for the first time in a few months)...

I was at 10 mph (huge stretch for me) and bumped the stop button with my hand. :D

I bounced off the front several times before I figured it out.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm a treadmiller year round ... (too cold in winter, too hot in summer, too many dogs and other issues ... yes, I'm a wimp!) As a mom with kids at home, it's nice to be able to go for miles and still only be 30 seconds away if needed (that does have it's disadvantages too).

As others have said, TV/Movies are helpful to keep me going.

Another option would be an indoor track ... we have a few close by, at the local gym or here in Utah the Olympic Oval has a nice track. Those do require fees, but it's something I do occasionally when I want to try running (ok, jogging) NOT on the treadmill.

I use my elliptical and stationary bike too, so that helps make things feel different too.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I solve world problems while on the treadmill. It helps pass the time.
  • argyllgal
    argyllgal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot outside, however UK weather this has been terrible- gales and rain, plus last year I was badly bitten by a dog on my arm and leg and it has put me off running one of my favourite routes. So I've just order a treadmill it arrives on Tues. Hoping to do at least 30-45 min work outs 4-5 X a week. I've been told to put it a slight incline to make it more like an outdoor run!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I use treadmill programs like couch to 5k or other workouts I can find. I use it as an interval workout mainly instead of building up to a 5k race. I also have a stationary bike too as Im a stay at home mum so need some home workout options. I like the jog/walk intervals and it keeps the time passing quickly and I like to keep a mental note in my head how many more runs I have to do for the workout and I keep watching timer on my laptop and it helps. I couldnt just do one speed for an hour I need to ix things up
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Do hill work or random intervals.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have never done a long run (more than 1 hour) on a treadmill.

In past winters, I would alternate treadmill running days with spinning classes throughout the week. Then on Saturday (or sometimes Sunday) I would get a long run in outside.

Since last winter, I have cancelled my gym membership, moved, and bought a treadmill. I run with a friend on an indoor track after work a few days a week (I am lucky to have an indoor track available at no cost). I also mix my routine up with workout videos. When I do use the treadmill I watch TV. I still try to get outside as much as possible (limited mostly till weekends until there are more hours of daylight).
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    For me its all about the music. I put on good tunes and get totally lost in thought with it. =)
  • marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Running is boring. I try and mix it up with the eliptical and other cardio equipment at the gym.

I prefer the treadmill to the great outdoors though. The climate is always the same and I am less likely to fold an ankle by stepping in a hole or off the edge of the sidewalk. I'm also less likely to be killed by a motorist who is on an important call.

In addition to running/jogging, I also like to stride walk uphill for extended periods. That's way easier on a treadmill since I'm a flatlander. I listen to music and people watch at the gym to make the time move faster.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Check out the guided interval workouts on cardiocoach.com. I love them.

Or an audiobook if I want to just zone out. Or the tv.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I think tricking myself works best. I just tell myself I'm only gonna do 10-15min's, and once I get started I usually always go longer.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for the respones. I didnt even know there was a thing called Yaktrax, so I am going to look into those so I can run outdoors as well as indoors. I run over my lunch hour now in a gym at my work, but getting the mileage higher and higher, I won't be able to fit it in to my hour lunch period. There's a gym that is only $10 a month and no monthly commitment and has epic TV's in there as well as a cinema room, so maybe I can use that too to pass the time till its warm enough to go outside. Thanks everyone!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Cold is nothing! Get Yaktrax and run outside. I'm just outside St. Louis and it was -2° F here this morning.Yes, that is ice on my beard.

1558595_10151800147851010_1502302225_n.jpg
  • ltkl7
    ltkl7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do the majority of my running on a treadmill and I find by changing the speed or incline every minute, I can make an hour go by very fast.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cold is nothing! Get Yaktrax and run outside. I'm just outside St. Louis and it was -2° F here this morning.Yes, that is ice on my beard.

1558595_10151800147851010_1502302225_n.jpg

This is cold weather running (about -25C) :laugh: :laugh:

hypohalf2012_zps9fffd2c6.jpg