Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sugar Cravings

How do you deal with sugar cravings? I have diabetes and I am limited to 145 carbs per day. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• mamad5
    mamad5 Posts: 22 Member
    I have been eating pomegranates to help with sugar cravings. They take a while to eat and seem to satisfy my cravings. 16carbs for a half a cup.
  • My best advise is to stay away from anything sweet really. It'll be a tough first week but you'll notice that your cravings will get smaller and eventually be gone.
  • its all in your head
  • FreedomSand
    FreedomSand Posts: 30 Member
    For some reason, many folks with diabetes crave sugar, and carbs in general. It's not because it is a 'forbidden fruit,' it seems to be part of the disease.

Finding ways to satisfy is hard to do. I don't have diabetes; my Dad does and lived with me 12 years prior to moving in to a nursing home a year ago. This was often discussed in the Diabetes support groups we attended, and in the DOE program: Diabetes Outpatient Education.

Can you try some sweet veg like carrots? I know depending on your diabetes, even a fruit can send your numbers skyrocketing -- my Dad is a very fragile diabetic, he reacts strongly to even one apple, his numbers soar. Sweet potato -- not 'sweet' but a complex carb - also seemed to help.
  • shaymo10
    shaymo10 Posts: 134 Member
    Much appreciated. I will try out some of these ideas. I am currently experimenting with cherries, as I heard this lowers sugar levels.