Buying advice for boxing equipment?

Options
I am taking up kick-boxing (not in the ring, just the training workouts with the bag). Will this be hard on my knees? I'm taking this up because the elliptical is hard on my knees and I have to scale that back a little.

Hoping for a whole-body workout with some fun stress release.

What kind of bag should I get? Looking at the stand bags with weighted bottoms (rather than hanging bag) and wonder what weight is best? Or should I get a hanging bag? On a stand? From the ceiling?

What do I need to know about gloves? How about other types of punching bags/activities/skills?

Any advice gratefully received!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Gloves and wraps you buy from a real boxing company, TITLE is a good one and my preference.

Get a hanging bag and mount it. Those standing units are cool, but they can't stand the impact and easily tip over.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    really good wrist wraps and gloves!! I think the wrist wraps I bought are like 180's ? they offer plenty of protection and support. and I seccond the hanging bag :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    We got the kind of heavy bag that hangs from the ceiling.
    Really expensive and he stopped using it. Ugghhh
    Now we have to put it on Craig's List to get rid of it.
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am also considering the same thing--more for boxing workout than kick-boxing. I boxed in college and know a hanging bag can swing a bit without someone holding it. The swing isn' too bad though. It gives you a bit of a moving target. Unfortunately I don't really have anywhere to mount a hanging bag and have seen mixed reviews on the standing bags. Does anyone know of a good standing bag brand?
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I am taking up kick-boxing (not in the ring, just the training workouts with the bag). Will this be hard on my knees? I'm taking this up because the elliptical is hard on my knees and I have to scale that back a little.

Hoping for a whole-body workout with some fun stress release.

What kind of bag should I get? Looking at the stand bags with weighted bottoms (rather than hanging bag) and wonder what weight is best? Or should I get a hanging bag? On a stand? From the ceiling?

What do I need to know about gloves? How about other types of punching bags/activities/skills?

Any advice gratefully received!

If you lack the space or ability to mount a hanging bag - I suggest thinking about the Bob Body punching bag:

Century-BOBbagandbase-boxing.jpg

There is also another more expensive version with a bit more of a lower body. Reasons I like this:

I didn't have the situation to hang a bag and after doing my research this was the best stand alone version for me. It takes a pretty hard shot as well. This 100% does not tip easily. I chose to fill it with pea gravel (didn't want mess with water, and sand will actually end up bonding together and form an almost cement like bottom that you can never get out.) Mine does great with the pea gravel. I could even fill it even heavier by putting water or sand inside to fill in the spaces around the pea gravel but I don't find a need for that right now.

Yes it moves a bit - especially on big punches - but I find that to be actually more realistic. I will admit a properly mounted heavy bag is probably still the best (and cheaper) choice - but if you cant (for whatever reason) hang one - then this will do great!

Also - make sure you get hand wraps like the guy above mentioned. Gloves are not enough! You don't wrap your hands properly and you can do some serious damage...or at he very least have some REALLY sore forearms.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all!