Whole30

Options
Tips?experiences? Did you guys count calories? Are 'zero noodle' or 'shirataki noodles' allowed?

Replies

• lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm starting mine in January for the 1st time- I've done quite a bit of reading and research. I don't think those fake noodles are allowed on the Whole30, but might be fine for Paleo after the Whole30. Whole30 is very strict on the "no paleofying" of foods that are non-paleo, like noodles, breads, pancakes, etc. Good luck- there's a group for Jan 2014 Whole30 if you're interested.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Depends on what's in the noodles, since the point of the Whole30 is to cut out all processed foods, etc. I haven't seen the nutrition for the "zero noodles" but just take a look at the ingredient list- if it has more than five ingredients listed or any of them are chemicals or food dyes, etc, it's a no-no. That being said, the Whole30 was really awesome when I first did it. It is a bit hard the first week or so, but it gets way easier as you go along. I counted calories during mine, but many people don't bother and still lose weight. My tips to make it easier: make sure you get a lot of high quality fats like avocados and nut butter (almond butter is amazing, I went through a jar a week on my Whole30) to keep you feeling satisfied, and drink lots and lots of water :) good luck!
  • Where is the whole30 group? Do you have a link? Oh and here are the ingrediants

Ingredients: water, konjac flour, potato starch, calcium hydroxide, reduced iron. Folic acid.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Where is the whole30 group? Do you have a link? Oh and here are the ingrediants

Ingredients: water, konjac flour, potato starch, calcium hydroxide, reduced iron. Folic acid.

Search for it under the groups tab in the community section of MFP. Also, there are forums on the "it Starts With Food" website that might be able to address the zero noodles thing, honestly, I think it's a no-go.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Where is the whole30 group? Do you have a link? Oh and here are the ingrediants

Yeah, that's pretty much a definite no go for Whole30.

Click on groups on top and search Whole30. I'm not a member so I don't have a link handy.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I just sent you an invite to the Whole 30 group.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The ingredients in the noodles listed are not compliant. you can however have zucchini noodles or rather, spiralized vegetables. Here is a great description from whole9life forums as to where the line gets crossed when it comes to "paleofying" foods.

"If you love macaroni and cheese and you get a spiralizer and make zucchini noodles and add ghee and nutritional yeast to make a "cheese sauce" you just had SWYPO. Not a real meal. Recreates (in a really failish way) a dish that is non compliant with "technically compliant" ingredients. If you take those same zucchini noodles and serve them alongside your protein and fats then it's not really a fake noodle anymore it's a fancy cut vegetable.

SWYPO does have some gray area and a lot of room for debate but from reading the forums I gather that the single biggest deciding factor is "how does your meal template look". As long as the requirements for protein + fat + vegetables are being met seems to be the most important thing. "

This is a pretty comprehensive list of "can I haves" http://www.whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ You can also ask away in the Jan W30 group or on the forums at whole9life.com :)
  • I did a bit of research on the "zero" shirataki noodle.

Konjac is a very healthy vegetable that appears in Japan and is known for it's weight loss properties. The noodles are made primarily of konjac and water. The potato starch helps stabilize the konjac so it can stay in its gelatinous, noodle form.

Calcium hydroxide(food grade type) is and inorganic calcium compound that is virtually "lime juice" or lime paste" it is used to supplement foods that are low in calcium.

Lastly the reduced iron, is when an electric current is sent through rusted iron(iron that comes from the earth). Reduced iron is popularly used in food products, enriched products, and vitamins.

The pros about these noodles in relation to Whole30:
    -Gluten/wheat free
    -lactose free
    -"natural"-according to the FDA, but I don't think and inorganic compound should be deemed natural..-

DISCLAIMER!!!!!

THESE ARE NOT REAL FOOD- it is not something you find from the ground, its not even a mixture of stuff found from the ground with something found in an animal. It is processed refined vegetable components, mixed with natural and artificial vitamin. Where's the nutrition, fat, protein, or satiety factor? therefore it does not follow the 30 DAY PROGRAM FOR WHOLE30

if you are an extremely strict I'm doing the to the max, as pure as possible for 30 days, then no, you absolutely cannot eat them because they are "paleo-ified" and have a small amount of Potato starch (not sure which type of potato, i tried looking) in order to balance out the konjac..

If you are like me, and decided to do a less strict "whole30 lifestyle" type program, where there are obviously imperfections, slip ups, some "paleo-ifying", but you still just stick to WHOLE30 a majority of the time, then these are MUCH MUCH better than giving in to refined pasta and even whole wheat pasta. At least the "zero noodles" don't contain wheat, gluten, or more than 4 carbs per serving.

Generally-don't eat them- however, they can be the exception in very few cases.
  • melissadaigle1
    Options
    May I be invited? Currently on Day 9 of my second Whole30.