Are Chia Seeds healthy?

Options
I did buy them today. I've seen so many times that they're really healthy and I've decided to try them. Just to be sure, I checked if they have any side effects and http://www.seedguides.info/chia-seeds/ site came up, and it really freaked me out.

"A few people have complained about gastrointestinal disruptions, such as formation of gas and bloated feeling after ingesting chia seeds. The American Dietetic Association attributes this to chia's high fiber content (25%).
Chia seeds and its constituents do act as allergens in case of certain individuals, as also pointed out by the European Food Safety Authority. Some people break into reactions when coming into contact with chia protein. Such people are advised to keep away from the seeds. Also it is better if you check for mustard and mustard seed allergies and keep away from chia seeds even in that case.
Homer Hartage, Chief of Nuchia Foods Corporation says that, "Because chia seeds contains omega-3s, which can thin the blood, if you are taking blood thinners, planning surgery or on an aspirin regimen, it is recommended that you consult a doctor prior to use." This effectively means that even haemophiliacs should keep away from chia seeds.
Chia contains a lot of alpha-linolenic acid. Some research suggests that large amounts of alpha-linolenic acid in the diet might increase the chance of getting prostatecancer. If you have prostate cancer or have a high risk of getting it, avoid eating large amounts of chia.
A research done by the St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto, Canada has indicated that chia seeds are potentially capable of lowering diastolic blood pressure to alarming levels. So, low blood pressure patients should steer clear of it.
Chia should be consumed in short phases followed by break periods as some cases have shown people getting addicted to it.
Pregnant and lactating mothers should keep away from chia seeds as not enough researches have been conducted to check for its effects on them.
A super storehouse of vitamin B17, consumption of chia seeds and B17 supplements during the same time period may lead to a phytonutrient overdose."

And I do have a low blood pressure. Do you think it's a good idea to eat them?

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I think if you look up the potential health side effects of ANY food you will find some sort of alarming statement. Unless your doctor specifically advised you to steer clear away from chia seeds, not sure a reasonable amount added to your food would cause issues. Just my guess.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You bought them, try them. I've never heard of anyone having trouble from them. I think they're overpriced and overhyped but I think the odds they'll hurt you are are extremely low.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are amazing. They have lots of fiber and micronutrients. Not to mention they are a vegan source of omega 3's and protein.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree- there is the potential for any food to have negative side-affects depending on your make-up. (For instance, my mother-in-law can't eat potatoes because they have a very high potassium content and with her transplant/diabetic meds, this is an issue)

I put chia seeds in my protein shakes and the only issue I have is if I don't have enough water I get really gassy.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I hear that, as a side affect, they give you spiky, green hair.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    it really freaked me out.
    It's seeds, no need to freak out.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No, they aren't healthy, they'll grow chia plants in your gut! RUN FROM IT! RUN! RUUUNNNNN!!!!

00379520-492569_500.jpg?k=68f22b43&pid=379520&s=catl&sn=history

Yeah they're fine. Eat if like.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    What do you mean when you say you have "a low blood pressure"? Do you just mean you don't have high blood pressure? Or do you mean that a doctor has diagnosed you as having a medical condition of low blood pressure? If the latter, I don't think it's a particularly good idea to eat something that medical authorities advise low blood pressure patients to stay away from, just as it wouldn't be a good idea to eat them if you were allergic to them.
  • MrsJS5
    MrsJS5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I put them in oatmeal that I leave to soak up water and almond milk all night to take to work in the morning for breakfast. They have a tapioca-like quality that makes the icebox oatmeal really good.

I have only read of the health benefits. Now I guess I will research them more.
  • K_armfield
    K_armfield Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am really tired of eating oatmeal and I like my oatmeal really thin. I just had Qia by Nature's Path and it is amazing! It has chia, hemp, and buckwheat. It is good for protein, fiber, and your omegas. It has a great consistency!
  • Natalia67
    Natalia67 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great feed back from everyone, I also researched it online a bit. I got some today and I am going to try it
  • dgraboski
    dgraboski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds as do my kids. I make pudding wih them and mixed berries with almond milk. You can make the same thing into ice pops.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    You bought them, try them. I've never heard of anyone having trouble from them. I think they're overpriced and overhyped but I think the odds they'll hurt you are are extremely low.

I agree. Both with you bought them, use them and they're just the new trendy thing. I tried them once and they weren't personally for me (I prefer flax seeds), but I still found lots of uses for them! I saw Chef John make a chocolate pudding out of them on Foodwishes if you need ideas!
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz had a really good recipe using chia seeds in pancakes. I'd give them a try
  • Missou
    Missou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a lower blood pressure too and I take 2 tablespoons in the morning sometimes. I have no problem because of that and since I take a large glass of water with it, my gi track is in better shape. I haven't been taking them for some time now and I feel bloated. Guess it is time to buy some again. Try them, if you feel dizzy, you'll know they are not meant for you.
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    I hear that, as a side affect, they give you spiky, green hair.

HAAAAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!

Thanks I needed this!

:bigsmile:
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Cha cha cha Chia!
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    lol. funny, I've heard so much about chia months ago......well, just finally got around to ordering them, and got them today. Wow were they good in my protein shake. I definitely won;t be over-doing them. WELL......maybe I already did haha. I put about a tbsp of chia into my protein shake with 2 cups of spinach, a cup of blueberries.....wow it was good....but yep, gas is coming lol.

As with everything, they should be OK in moderation.....unless your doctor says no.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love using a spoon full of them in my smoothies, but beware they contain quite a few calories.
    Stef.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have them and occasionally put them in my smoothies, but a while ago I was having them almost daily. Now that you mentioned it I noticed that my blood seemed thinner than usual the last time I gave blood- after the finger prick it wouldnt stop bleeding and it normally is alright in about a minute, and after like 5 hours my needle site still did as well, which is also not normal for me. I wondered what it was in my diet that was causing that... didn't even think about the Chia!