I need to eat!

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
Ok peeps, I work out at night...so it's 10pm and i need to eat 1200 calories...how the hell do I do that? do i eat more during the day? I eat all freakin' day as it is...what can i consume that's high in calories but that's still good for me?

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Maybe a pre-workout drink or a post workout recovery drink? I drink creatine right after my workout so my muscles can absorb the nutrients from the dinner I'm getting ready to eat and that in itself is 200 calories.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Pre and Post workout shakes are the best way to go. Plus they help you during your next workout because your muscles recover a little better. Try to get LOW sugar and avoid soy if you can (it's highly processed, only way you should eat soy is soy beans, etc).
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    So are you needing the 1200 calories this late in the day because of your late workout? I'm a little suspicious of most of the formulas for how many calories a workout burns..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: start your day with a big healthy breakfast, don't wait until bedtime to try to eat all your calories.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sarah_donniegreen
    Options
    Definitely increase your vegetables (non starch), fruits and lean meat before anything else. You should look at mypyramidtracker.gov and make sure you are eating a good balance of all food groups. High fiber snacks are good, too (as long as you are drinking enough water, cuz otherwise you'll get gassy)... hope that helps!
  • futureflaka
    futureflaka Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    nuts! they're amazingly good, good for you, and have a ton of cals!
  • lilRicki
    Options
    i use my heart rate monitor because i work out at home...
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Pre-guesstimate how many calories you'll burn and spread those "extras" throughout the day. Breakfast is the best time to get in a high calorie breakfast. Lately, I've been easily getting to 500 with 2 slices of whole wheat toast with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light, 2 eggs either overeasy, overmedium, or scrambled, however you want, and some juice or fruit. Eggs are about 140, the butter is 50-100, the toast is 180 and juice is about 110. You can do it! Yogurt is also a great choice, try nonfat plain or Greek mixed with fruit or sweetened/fruit-filled granola for a high protein meal! Then just make sure you have good healthy carbs throughout the day & those will eat up quite a few calories. Also, like someone else mentioned: nuts! Or, nut butter. Try a banana with nut butter - easily 300 cals! Or Triscuits with avocado slices... yum!
  • drew77
    Options
    I agree with older lady who posted. EAT most of your calories in the daytime, that way you are more active and burn more off doing everyday activities. Drink alot of water and don't go overboard on caffeine. If you have to workout at night, I'd suggest drinking chocolate milk after or a protein shake. That's it. better to spread your calories then to take all at once.

chicken, eggs, fruit, veggies, peanuts, yogurt, wheat bread, oatmeal

i also eat avocado, light cheese, dark chocolate on occasin
  • lilRicki
    Options
    wow awesome responses, thanx guys
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Pre-guesstimate how many calories you'll burn and spread those "extras" throughout the day. Breakfast is the best time to get in a high calorie breakfast. Lately, I've been easily getting to 500 with 2 slices of whole wheat toast with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light, 2 eggs either overeasy, overmedium, or scrambled, however you want, and some juice or fruit. Eggs are about 140, the butter is 50-100, the toast is 180 and juice is about 110. You can do it! Yogurt is also a great choice, try nonfat plain or Greek mixed with fruit or sweetened/fruit-filled granola for a high protein meal! Then just make sure you have good healthy carbs throughout the day & those will eat up quite a few calories. Also, like someone else mentioned: nuts! Or, nut butter. Try a banana with nut butter - easily 300 cals! Or Triscuits with avocado slices... yum!

Agreed with ALL of that! Especially the triscuits and avocado! 6 triscuits are 120 calories and a whole avocado is around 350! Also, all that working out you'll need protein! Try some greek yogurt with granola, it's about 400 calories!
  • lilRicki
    Options

Agreed with ALL of that! Especially the triscuits and avocado! 6 triscuits are 120 calories and a whole avocado is around 350! Also, all that working out you'll need protein! Try some greek yogurt with granola, it's about 400 calories!

I can't eat dairy
  • lilRicki
    Options
    lol I'm getting hungry just talking about it...i LOVE acacado and triscuits...but that's not in the house until saturday lol I am so not prepared!!!!