Breast Cancer Survivors

Options
Hi! I am new to My Fitness Pal. I need to lose 56 lbs. eighteen months ago I finished chemo and radiation to treat breast cancer. I had lost 25 lbs before my diagnosis but gained it back, eating healthy and exercising regularly is a must for me. Looking for other BC survivors trying to lose weight or have already been successful. If interested send me a friend request.

Replies

• deMoMo628
    deMoMo628 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I just joined the site, and am also a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed May 29, 2012 and finished the bulk of my treatment in April of this year. I am still going every 3 weeks for Herceptin treatments, but compared to what I've already been through, those are a breeze!

I have a lot of weight to lose. But I'm still in the first step - awareness. I am trying to be aware of what I'm eating. For me, that means writing down everything that I eat. If I'm not willing to write it down, then I won't eat it.

I am looking for someone to buddy with - someone who will commit to looking at my food journal once a week, and who will question me if I haven't been journaling. And of course I'd be more than happy to reciprocate!
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I had my tumor removed in June (with 9 lymph nodes), finished chemo in November and I'm two more zaps of radiation from done. I plan to try to lose weight and get back in shape in the new year. It's too close to the holidays and I'm still healing, so I don't want to restrict calories for another couple of weeks. I'm happy to join forces. I probably wouldn't look at the food journal regularly because of time, but would be happy to upon request.

I was doing really well losing weight and exercising before my surgery. I want to return to that, but I have a lot of muscle weakness from chemo still right now, so I will be starting off easy and taking things slowly.
  • deMoMo628
    deMoMo628 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take good care of yourself. I pushed myself too hard after I started chemo and landed myself in the hospital. After that I embraced my recliner and my remote control, and let other people take care of me! And radiation will definitely run you down.

Thank you for the offer - I might just take you up on that!

Do you have a LiveStrong program at a Y near you? I got into one here, but they met at 5:30 during the week, and I could never get there on time from work. But it was a great program and I know a lot of people love it!
  • Ohio4Me
    Ohio4Me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a BC Survivor. Diagnosed March 2011, finished chemo and rads March 2012. Lost 30 pounds during treatment but I gained that weight back (plus some). I met with a new oncologist yesterday and am dealing with the harsh realization that my only 'tools' to fight breast cancer are diet and exercise. Guidelines recommend against regular labs/tests and rely on signs and symptoms for any follow up. Okay. I was ER+/PR+ so my weight plays a part in the cancer risk.

That means, losing weight is a great way to fight the return of cancer. It's a lot to figure out but since I don't want the cancer back I need to take control and do my part to join the fight against cancer returning in my body!
  • Mrs1340Harley
    Options
    Not sure if you would call me a survivor as it was caught early ... a routine screening March 1st this year showed Micro calcifications which lead to a lumpectomy on April 8th that turned out to be cancerous... lucky for me it was caught very early and the only other treatment I have needed in Tamoxifen ( started in Sept) snd 6 monthly mammograms... My sister is fighting BC for the 2nd time... first time was 15 years ago, this time round she had a mastectomy and is undergoing treatment to contain it.

I lost weight last year but gave up smoking in July and put 10lb back on then another 10lb when I started taking the Tamoxifen...I know had I not lost weight last year the micro-calcification may not have been spotted so early.

Good luck in your journeys
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    3 year survivor here! I was diagnosed in July 2010 at age 26 - after a double mastectomy, 6 rounds of chemo and 28 radition treatments, and reconstruction I am happy to say I am focusing on a healthier life :-)

Very nice to meet you!
    Sending a friend request :-)
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I had my last rad today and I start Tamoxifen tomorrow (I'm another ER+/PR+). Looks like I'll have to be careful I don't put weight on! Ugh! Congratulations on quitting smoking, Mrs1340Harley - that's a real achievement and the biggest thing you can do for your health, IMO!

deMoMo - I don't know about LiveStrong, but I'll check it out. Time can be a problem though, which is why I like the convenience of working out at home. Thanks for the info!
  • Ohio4Me
    Options
    Yes, one of the 'side effects' of Tamoxifen and Aromatase Inhibitors (Femara, Aromasin, etc) is weight gain. Just another hurdle in the grand scheme. Not sure I really notice the difference as weight has always been a challenge for me. History, age, and meds combine to make it interesting.
  • fortune63139
    fortune63139 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All. Another survivor here, more than 5 years now. Dx 2008, bilateral mastectomies, chemo, rads, oophrectomy, now on an AI. I'm happy to say that now I don't think about it that often (never thought that day would come).

Yup, weight gain is a side effect of meds, for sure, and also a side effect of living to middle age! I am so happy to be 42 and healthy, even if that means I could loose a few :-/ It is always interesting, especially when I start a new class (boxing, recently) and have to tell the instructor that, thanks to rads, my right pectoral muscle is basically like "wet tissue paper," according to my plastic surgeon. I hate to have limits but I have to take some precautions and I urge you to as well, if you need to.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and give those recently diagnosed/treated that there will be a time when you you're just living your life. I encourage everyone to find exercise that makes you happy, and to be kind to yourselves.

xo,
    Beth
  • mkam1980
    mkam1980 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread! I was dx July 3, 2013 (I has just turned 33 years old.) Had my dbl mastectomy August 19th. I am in the midst or reconstruction. My husband and I just said we gained more weight from cancer than we did we our two pregnancies. Good luck to you all. In my thoughts.
  • virginialee78
    Options
    So glad you started this thread. Another breast cancer survivor here. Diagnosed Aug. 2012 and went thru chemo, double mastectomy, radiation, Herceptin for a year and on Arimidex for 5 years. I'm getting my exchange surgery February 10, 2014 -- just over a month away, and I really want/need to lose weight beforehand... Gained a lot over the holidays. There will be more reconstruction surgeries down the road but at least I've gotten so much behind me! I love this site... It helped me lose weight before but I didn't stick with it. Good luck to everyone and I hope we can support each other down this healthy road.
  • mtlkate
    mtlkate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Another BC survivor here. I was diagnosed in September 2008, had surgery, chemo, and radiation. It is important for me to lose weight since my cancer is fed by the hormones from the fat. Feel free to add me!
  • jennakelsey
    Options
    Another SURVIVOR here! Diagnosed June 22, 2012 at 39. Went through chemo, dbl mastectomy, radiation, lat flap and reconstruction. Now on Tamoxifen. After I finally felt happy about life, I began to socialize more and gained weight. Now it's time to lose it! I want my body to match my attitude. I love my husband, my son, my job (1st grade teacher), family & friends. I started Ideal Protein to get a jump start and it's hard. I also want to exercise but concerned about what to do because of risk of lymphedema. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Ohio4Me
    Options
    Lymphedema - - argh. I have lympedema in my right (primary) arm. It is aggravated by heat, humidity, repetitive action, and now cold. It's a bear - no cure, only treatment. I have learned to manage lymphedema very well on my own but it is always a consideration when embarking on any activity. I spent a day shopping and had to don the sleeve because my arm was dependent too long and began to swell.

Lots of water, low salt and arm maintenance help LE but LE 'cripples' spontaneous activity. I have to plan outside work for the cool morning hours and limit time spent working in the yard and garden. Same with house work, laundry, baking (stirring). Everything takes longer to accomplish in order to keep my arm happy.

I call it the gift of breast cancer :). A constant reminder of my journey.
  • mkam1980
    mkam1980 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Great attitude. Love the sweet reminder.
  • srosenfield_2000
    srosenfield_2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ladies,

I am a 12 year BC survivor. Lumpectomy, sentinal node, chemo, radiation, tamoxifin, femara and lymphadema. But, I'm here and grateful. Trying to focus more on a healthy diet...making sure that it's good food going in. Looking for slow and steady. Can use support. Be strong.....
  • Ohio4Me
    Options
    Love to hear that you are a 12 year survivor! I am almost 3 years out. I'm looking forward to the 5 year mark and really hoping for the 10 year mark. Hearing 12 years is encouraging - thank you for posting.
  • JABE6283
    Options
    Even though it was caught early, you are still a survivor. I, too, caught it early. In fact, within 6 weeks of my diagnosis (11/2013), I had my lumpectomy and radiation done. I am currently on Tamoxifen. Lovely little pill...
    I had weight to lose before diagnosis and even though I know the weight didn't come on fast, I still want to lose it as quickly as i can at a good healthy rate.
    Good luck on your progress.