Working out and gaining weight

Options

Replies

• Shreddingit84
    Options
    I would suggest to get down to the weight level you want and than do weights. In other words just do cardio.
    Ohhh ohhh I hope "they" didnt read this...:frown:
  • robathealthsidekick
    Options
    Weight is only one metric. Body Fat Percentage is an important tool.
    what was your average done over the last week, 14, 30 days and so on. You can have fluctuation for a variety of different reason.
    For women
    monthly cycles are a big one and why for women averages are so important. If you are not good at math and spreadsheetd I use healthsidekicks calculator that does the averages for me.
  • CokeBottle84
    CokeBottle84 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to keep at it, keep my calories at 1500 and incorporate more cardio.
  • mama000
    mama000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've found that I have to accurately log food intake, in advance, to stay on track. A miss counted snack could be an extra .... calories that I forgot about.
    My Dr has me weighing each day in order to be aware of what the previous day may have done to my weight and denial.
    I have found that salt, carbs in the form of sugar, make a big difference.
    But I haven't seen the type of increase you've experienced. 2-3 lbs up or down but not 10.
    I've found, as most have, that the more I exercise the more hungry I am. I have to be really careful with food on heavy workout days.
    Hope you find the answer.
  • DeeGreen1978
    DeeGreen1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well you did not gain 10 lb of muscle. You may be working out but you are eating too much. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.

that was a bit blunt!!!!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You could be increasing muscle but losing fat as muscle is heavier than fat!! Just a guess

Lulz.

A professional female body builder would be hard pressed to put on 1lb of muscle in a month.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well you did not gain 10 lb of muscle. You may be working out but you are eating too much. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.

that was a bit blunt!!!!!

But it's the truth.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights....I'd say you're gaining muscle weight for sure. Could also be a little water weight as well.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are looser and you look better what do you care what the scale says? Isn't getting a better body composition the end goal?

I agree ... the scale sucks at measuring success. It is all about the measurements.
  • jpie79
    jpie79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should try a heart rate monitor to see how many calories you are burning. Sometimes we can overestimate or underestimate the amount we burn which causes us to not eat the correct amount. I also got in the Bod Pod to tell me how many calories my body needs. I was shocked to see I was not eating enough. I always thought I only needed about 1200 calories a day only to find out I needed 1900 a day to lose weight. Strange yes, but its true!
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    My clothes fit loser. I actually look like I'm more toned. I've been receiving compliments. I'm not sure what's going on with my body. Would my menstrual cycle effect weight loss?

If your clothes are looser and you look better what do you care what the scale says? Isn't getting a better body composition the end goal?

this!
    Working on this myself!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've you've gained 10 Lbs then your diet is not on and you are eating at a surplus. You are either underestimating your intake or overestimating your burn...probably both.

You do NOT gain muscle on a calorie deficit, so ignore those statements and face reality...something is not right in your diet.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Make sure you always weigh yourself in the morning naked before you eat or drink anything. This will tell you your True weight unless you ate a lot of salt or went out to dinner the day before.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights....I'd say you're gaining muscle weight for sure. Could also be a little water weight as well.

No! Nobody gains 10 pounds of muscle in a month!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to get down to the weight level you want and than do weights. In other words just do cardio.

Perfect example of why NOT to take advice from people on MFP ... everyone has opinions whom have 0 knowledge !!! This is the worst advice I've ever seen congratz.
  • TeamStriationDre
    Options
    This may have happended because if your sodium levels are normally high and then you dont take in much sodium for a few days your weight will fluxuate i know people whos weight have fluxuated to around 5-7kg heavier then normal so its about 13-15pound.
  • RGv2
    Options
    It's either muscle or you are eating too much. How do your clothes fit? Tighter? The same? Looser?

I noticed that when I started strength-training, I was HUNGRY. I def ate too many cals at the beginning. That's why I was getting stronger, and smaller, but the weight was stagnant.

I started logging my food on here...and def say on my lifting days I was eating too much. I was fine during the rest of the week though. I've been watching my cals more closely lately, and I lost 2 lbs this month alone by not over doing it on my lifting days.

It's not muscle. A professional female bodybuilder would be hard pressed to put on a pound of muscle in a month.
  • RGv2
    Options

dnw.gif