Struggling.

Options
If this is a topic, I do apologize. Hope no one feels the need to chunk a keyboard or mouse at me.

I am struggling. Period. I'll eat fine in the mornings [ a good protein, a starch, and dairy]. For snack, I usually throw in a piece of fruit and a fiber bar. When it comes to lunch, I'm not really hungry. I'll eat some veggies or I'll try to make myself eat some form of protein, but I end up feeling pretty cruddy. Dinner time rolls around and I'm not hungry once again. Later on at night, I tend to get the urge to eat whatever I can find. For example, I ate some breaded chicken nuggets and the fat total was horrid.

I guess what I'm getting at is I need help with simple, yet appropriate meals. I'm on the go a lot. I am usually at work around 7am and I work till about 3pm. I get home and look for something to eat since I tend to forget to bring my lunch to work. I'm a substitute teacher, so not every place had a fridge to store food.

I'll appreciate any response that will help me out.

Replies

• HealthyEscape
    Options
    I purchased a pretty nice sized lunch cooler at Target and several Ice packs. I load it with all my food for the day and keep it at my desk since my office doesnt have a fridge. I have everything I need for the day right beside me so very limited temptation and prepare all my meals/snacks the night before and just load up in the morning before I leave. Has been working GREAT for me, give it a shot!
  • Beach_Chica
    Options
    As much as I am made to think, I did not have that cross my mind. I need to look for my cooler. Thanks for that! That will probably help out a lot. I just need to make a better arrangement to prepare my lunch the night before.
  • debkin
    debkin Posts: 14
    Options
    Another suggestion is to prepare some of your meals on your days off. I usually do my grocery shopping on the weekend and do food prep on Sunday before my week starts. Get all of your veggies chopped and your chicken pre-cooked. Plan what you are going to have for dinner each night to take some of the pressure off. This way, you are less likely to just grab anything when you are hungry (which is what I tend to do). Good luck!
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Also, if night time is your danger zone, this is a good time to do your work out! That is what I had started to do. If I work out, I feel more healthy and less inclined to overeat! Good luck: ) dl
  • Michellj
    Options
    oh honey i struggle too! you are NOT ALONE. after the kids go to bed is the worst time for me! i start to eat anything, kids halloween candy, cold leftovers, wine, you name it and its going down!! im going to try to plan a weekly meal plan and make a large bowl of salad so that i have no excuse for not having a salad with lunch or adding protein to it for a complete meal. im also going to stock up on soups and low sodium broth. a friend told me that sometimes having a cup of chicken broth curbs her cravings for food, so im going to try it out. i also bought a large water bottle i learned recently that for every ounce of ice cold water you drink your body burns one calorie bringing it up to body temp to digest it. so im going to try to have it full of ice water all day and sip from it to burn extra calories and keep my stomache full. im also going to have to quit having a glass of wine and watching tv late at night COLD TURKEY. thats going to hurt. and tell myself that its consistency and determination. consistency and determination.... consistency and determination... im looking at my kids halloween candy right now... consistency and determination...
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi Chica,

You’re not alone. I gained most of my weight from eating before bed. I'd come home from work and raid my kitchen like a burglar. Anything was up for grabs. Leftovers, kids snacks, and I even eye balled my cats food. Lol
    Now I eat every 2 hours. I also keep emergency snacks like popcorn, oatmeal, and cereal bars in my desk. Good thing I’m not a teacher, I would be hitting up students for cooked meals in exchange for a little slack in the class. Lol

It seems like you’re eating healthy. This is one of those simple ideas. What do you got to lose except hunger and weight?

Pedro
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also, if night time is your danger zone, this is a good time to do your work out! That is what I had started to do. If I work out, I feel more healthy and less inclined to overeat! Good luck: ) dl

Me 2!! When I get the munchies at night.. or basically any time I have free time at home.. I get moving. I work out or clean. I redirect my energy because I know there are more valuable things to do with my time than eat. I've actually gotten a lot done this week because of it, lol. Eating is a good excuse not to balance your checkbook.

I don't always distract with work, fun things are great 2! I've been spending a lot of time on mfp reading success stories, meal planning, watching movies with my hubby, drawing, playing wow, playing mtg or watching anime (I have VERY geeky hobbies).