Deer???

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Backstrap I either cut into little medallions and dredge in seasoned flour and pan fry. Or skip the flour and just pan fry with a little salt and pepper.

A couple years ago I ground some up with a really creamy bleu cheese and made hamburgers with it. I cooked them in a cast iron skillet and put all the regular hamburger stuff on them. They were so freakin good. My wife doesn't like venison and she had two burgers.

I've made lots of different kinds of sausage also - chorizo, kielbasa, breakfast sausage.

Just putting a ham in the oven with some carrots and onions and potatoes and a bottle of red wine (keep it covered tight) comes out pretty damn good too.

I love it I just haven't had time the past two years to go out and get any.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/3715/venison-cottage-pie.aspx

I haven't made this because I'm currently without a kitchen (sink and all), but it looks delicious. I generally used ground venison as taco meat, breakfast sausage, or hamburgers.

Also, I love deer. I love rabbits. I find them cute and adorable and I'm sad when I see them dead on the road.

But I do eat them, because I'd rather get my protein from a natural source than the cows all lined up for slaughter. (2edgy)

Also, venison and rabbit are delicious.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In laws recipe for jerky: ...lol I don't have it, it's a secret. but it seems like they slice it way thinner than most, I heard a machine is involved or a trip to the butcher or something. then there seems to be some type of green chile powdered seasoning on it. ONe thing I know it gets dehydrated overnight. The other thing I know is that it's addictive.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    We made meatballs last night with venison ground...it was delicious!!
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I use ground venison in chili, tacos, spaghetti. I recently did a VERY good venison roast, covered it in seasoning, and then WRAPPED in bacon. put in 2 cups of beef broth and cut up two onions in the bottom of the crockpot and put the wrapped roast on top. Cooked on low 10 hrs. AWESOME. Probably not the healthiest, but you can just choose to eat the venison and not the bacon itself. The fat in the bacon helps take out the gamey taste. Even my kids loved it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I use the same recipes for deer that I use for horse meat.

Google paardenrookvlees recipes for ideas.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    there was a thread about this recently....do a search for "venison" and see if it comes up.

the one i mentioned in there is easy and delicious.
    i marinate chunks of backstrap for a couple days in a sweet marinade of soy sauce, minced garlic, and brown sugar (maybe a lil sriracha if im feelin feisty).
    take em outta the marinade and wrap em up with bacon.
    toothpick 'em and broil em up.

good stuff.

be quick though....they disappear fast!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to remember when cooking deer meat (steaks & tenderloins) is don't over cook it. Otherwise you can pretty much treat it the same as you would beef. But if you are making burgers, they might be a little dry since there is almost no fat.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    The most important thing to remember when cooking deer meat (steaks & tenderloins) is don't over cook it. Otherwise you can pretty much treat it the same as you would beef. But if you are making burgers, they might be a little dry since there is almost no fat.

That's why I ground it up with bleu cheese. But I still wouldn't have tried to grill them on the grill. I used the cast iron frying pan in case they fell apart and also so whatever juices oozed out would not be lost to the fire.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

That's why I ground it up with bleu cheese. But I still wouldn't have tried to grill them on the grill. I used the cast iron frying pan in case they fell apart and also so whatever juices oozed out would not be lost to the fire.

Great.

Now I want deer w/ bleu cheese burgers.

:angry:
  • sjohnny
    Options

Great.

Now I want deer w/ bleu cheese burgers.

:angry:

Me too.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Backstrap I either cut into little medallions and dredge in seasoned flour and pan fry. Or skip the flour and just pan fry with a little salt and pepper.

A couple years ago I ground some up with a really creamy bleu cheese and made hamburgers with it. I cooked them in a cast iron skillet and put all the regular hamburger stuff on them. They were so freakin good. My wife doesn't like venison and she had two burgers.

I've made lots of different kinds of sausage also - chorizo, kielbasa, breakfast sausage.

Just putting a ham in the oven with some carrots and onions and potatoes and a bottle of red wine (keep it covered tight) comes out pretty damn good too.

I love it I just haven't had time the past two years to go out and get any.

Backstrap medallions (or as we always called them, dollar steaks) are absolutely awesome pan fried in a good (unrefined) coconut oil, with a little salt and pepper. The flavor of the coconut oil and the venison complement each other so well! :love:

Ground venison makes great hot sticks/smokies, too.
  • csmbsailor
    csmbsailor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    OMG thank you for posting this! I make lots of stews and we make our own sausage, but I cant wait to try the new ideas!

Blue Cheese burgers here I come!!!!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    use the ground anywhere you would use ground beef, the roast: cook in crockpot like any roast, the tenderloins, marinade in teriyaki sauce and grill.
  • echoslug
    echoslug Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Deer makes great swedish meatballs! I'm also a fan of doing tenderloins with a chili coco rub.
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I feel so fortunate that i grew up eating elk and deer. so much better for you then beef!! <3 i can't wait to try for of these recipes .

ps. i made tacos with deer meat the other day. YUM!
  • jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've used deer in a Thai red curry once. Yum!
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If the recipe calls for beef... I swap it to deer
  • leahrae720
    leahrae720 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We cut up the tenderloins or chops into bite size pieces and pan cook them up with a little reduced sodium teriyaki and soy sauces, with a few other spices of course. Then serve them up over some brown rice and veggies. The venison actually tastes amazing with Asian flavors. :)
  • mo135
    mo135 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me today to thaw out some whitetail backstrap. I marinated it for a couple of hours in Stonewall Kitchen Sriracha Teriyaki sauce, cabernet, and minced garlic. Then I pan fried it in olive oil. Good stuff, that.