Young newbie!

Options
Hiya!
I'm not new to MFP but I've never posted on a message board before, and I'm starting a fitness journey afresh for 2014!

I'm 18 years old (I'm a baby!), and I've suffered with an eating disorder for the past 5 years of my life. I have been diagnosed with EDNOS. A plethora of starvation diets, yo-yo weight, and most recently, Christmas feasts, have motivated me to not only lose weight, but do it the healthy way, and be fit in the process.

My current weight is 132lbs and I am millimetres under 5'10"! I'm not looking to lose that much weight, only a few pounds. For me, it's all about the fitness levels and the toning, because I am, what many call, 'skinny fat'.

I currently attend Keele University in the West Midlands of the UK, and I'm 100% determined to join the gym when I go back there in a couple of days. So my plan is for 3/4 days at the gym, with 45 mins to 1hr of cardio (running/elliptical/rowing machine), and 2/3 days of gentle core/strength of 20 mins - 30 mins, at least at the beginning.

Basically, I want to look good naked and kick the butt of my eating disorder!
Bye bye (: Hope I can be pals with some of you guys!!!

Replies

• nataliesweet19
    Options
    Hi! I am 20 years old, 5'3 and went from 138 lbs to 110 lbs. Wanna lose 7 lbs more so I am a newbie here. Feel free to add me. Pd:I also have a history with EDNOS.
  • Magddaa1
    Options
    You look great wow.. I wish..im 5/10 1/2... 170... lol i dont look bad at all but honestly you look great.. i think if you have an issue with yourself all you need is toning and workout...defination.. serious ...mags
  • klwxx
    klwxx Posts: 39
    Options
    Hey Natalie, I've added you yay first one on here haha! :3

And thank you so much Mags! I appreciate it, I'm sure you look awesome though! And toning is what I'm aiming for :)
  • Magddaa1
    Options
    No problem sweetie :) I wish you much success
  • smand2000
    Options
    For what you want to accomplish and the body type you describe, reverse your training focus. 3x per week full body weight training (30-45 minutes per session should be sufficient to start), combined with maybe 2x per week cardio (preferably on non-training days) if you feel you need it (high intensity interval training will save you time while getting you similar (or better) results, though traditional cardio is fine if you prefer.

And don't skimp on the weights - don't go "light." Once you settle into a routine and learn proper form and technique on the lifts, go hard and heavy as possible. That's what will get you the results you're looking for, not pounding the cardio.

Check out nerdfitness.com and nia shanks blog to start, and they will lead you in the right direction.

Best of luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hiya!
    I'm not new to MFP but I've never posted on a message board before, and I'm starting a fitness journey afresh for 2014!

I'm 18 years old (I'm a baby!), and I've suffered with an eating disorder for the past 5 years of my life. I have been diagnosed with EDNOS. A plethora of starvation diets, yo-yo weight, and most recently, Christmas feasts, have motivated me to not only lose weight, but do it the healthy way, and be fit in the process.

My current weight is 132lbs and I am millimetres under 5'10"! I'm not looking to lose that much weight, only a few pounds. For me, it's all about the fitness levels and the toning, because I am, what many call, 'skinny fat'.

I currently attend Keele University in the West Midlands of the UK, and I'm 100% determined to join the gym when I go back there in a couple of days. So my plan is for 3/4 days at the gym, with 45 mins to 1hr of cardio (running/elliptical/rowing machine), and 2/3 days of gentle core/strength of 20 mins - 30 mins, at least at the beginning.

Basically, I want to look good naked and kick the butt of my eating disorder!
    Bye bye (: Hope I can be pals with some of you guys!!!

I'm 5' 9" and look slammin' at 145. I'd work with whatever doctor you are seeing for your eating disorder before decide to lose more weight.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I disagree that she needs to focus more on weight training; it depends on what sort of 'fitness' she's going for. For example, does she want to be a runner, and does that take precedent over 'toning up'? Then running and cardio will probably be the focus of her week, and weight training would be on the rest days. That said, increasing weight training certainly wouldn't hurt.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm 20 (not much older than you) and also 'starting fresh' for 2014. I've got more work to do than yourself, but it's nice having others along for the journey.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I disagree that she needs to focus more on weight training; it depends on what sort of 'fitness' she's going for. For example, does she want to be a runner, and does that take precedent over 'toning up'? Then running and cardio will probably be the focus of her week, and weight training would be on the rest days. That said, increasing weight training certainly wouldn't hurt.

Well, her goal is to become more toned and less "skinny fat." If that is true, lifting heavy will get her to that goal faster than cardio or dieting.
  • NzBuilt
    NzBuilt Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hey there welcome now this is where your journey begins and you have come to the right place,so many helpfull people on here,all the best with your journey...

Addd me if you like im a daily logger and been on here 119 days now...
  • ClaireyDeexx
    ClaireyDeexx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to tone you might want to try doing resistance training with weights 3x a week and cardio 2x. You may not lose weight but you will gain muscle which will make you toned. Muscle also burns fat quicker :) Good luck and congrats on starting!! X
  • klwxx
    klwxx Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm 5' 9" and look slammin' at 145. I'd work with whatever doctor you are seeing for your eating disorder before decide to lose more weight.

My doctor says it's safe for me to lose 7 - 10lbs as long as it's safe and healthy and not obsessive :-)
    I think everyone has different body shapes tbh, I have a really skinny and bony waist and chest area, but my arms are quite large in comparison to the rest of me and I have big thighs too, and I know you can't exactly spot reduce but it'd be impossible for me to lose any more weight off the skinny areas so hopefully those few pounds go from my areas of insecurity!

I didn't expect so many people to be so helpful. Thank you for the input and good lucks everyone! As a general reply I'm just going to join the gym, tell the induction/trainers what I want to get out of it and see what starter plans they offer, because I'm sort of completely clueless when it comes to exercise and what it does for you. I appreciate the help though :-)