Twinkie Diet - Interesting Article

maureensm
maureensm Posts: 183 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html?iref=obnetwork

I sincerely do not recommend this type of diet for anyone. However it does hold a good argument towards the simplicity of weight loss itself: Calories in vs. Calories Out.

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    It is interesting. But skinny isn't the same as healthy.Yeah, losing weight is a simple logic, being healthy is much more of a challenge :) Good read.
  • Great point Panda! I mean we know this article from MFP, burn more than you consume. You can eat fast food every day if its your only meal and lose weight but you wont be as fit and healthy. Although it is interesting that his bad cholesterol went down
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Calories consumed and burned. Food is food, it all gives calories. Exercise burns calories. Why myfitnesspal works.

Being seriously overweight is of itself the cause of a lot of health problems. Lose the weight the way you can, and just monitor your stats and general health as you go. Anybody losing serious weight should be checking in with their doctor regularly anyway, twinkie diet or cabbage soup diet or raw food diet or whatever.

If this article makes it easier for someone to diet by allowing them to work in sweet treats within their calorie guidelines it's a good thing. Too many people throw in the towel because they can't stay away from a morning donut or something, rather than focusing on the total picture of their consumption, they think they can't do it because they need a sweet something once in a while.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Have y'all heard of skinny fat people? I cannot remember where I read it, probably yahoo, but outwardly skinny people can have a very high fat percentage and suffer a lot of illnessess that are typically associated with "fat" or "obese" infividuals. Very interesting!
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    I heard this guy on the radio the other day, and he seemed surprised at all the press he is getting. He says he was just trying to make the point that in the end, calories are what matter. Since caloric content is directly tired to the amount of fat and sugar in any food, when you cut calories you automatically cut your fat and sugar intake. Pretty simple, actually. I think one of the points he was trying to make was that you can only blame yourself for the number of calories you shove down your gullet. How many calories you ingest is not the responsibility of the Hostess people, or the Frito-Lay people, or the Hershey's people or the Burger King people...
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    I am sure he was starving at times. If you think about it, eating those types of food, the volume must have been low to reach the calorie limit. I haven't read the article yet. Just an uneducated guess.
  • I remember not long ago saying to someone who was trying to explain me that taking diet pill was good for you :noway: that the day that someone would come up with a Mars bars diet a lot of people would say that it is amazing, working and perhaps even healthy. Well here we go!

Speudo study trying to make us believe that putting in your month refine sugar and trans fat is good for you. Do the big corporations really think that people are that dumb? :ohwell:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Although it is interesting that his bad cholesterol went down
    That often happens when you lose weight.

I try to tell people this all the time... that you have to track your calories in and out if you want to lose weight, that just being "good" isn't going to make it happen since it's completely possible to eat too much good food.
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    The reason though for eating healthy foods is still that healthy foods have fewer calories then a lot of junk food does in which case you can eat more and feel more full then if you eat only junk food... Also, protein helps you feel full longer and therefore is a good additive.
  • grandsolike
    grandsolike Posts: 10 Member
    I remember not long ago saying to someone who was trying to explain me that taking diet pill was good for you :noway: that the day that someone would come up with a Mars bars diet a lot of people would say that it is amazing, working and perhaps even healthy. Well here we go!

Speudo study trying to make us believe that putting in your month refine sugar and trans fat is good for you. Do the big corporations really think that people are that dumb? :ohwell:

The guy who did the study never once claimed that a fatty, sugary diet was 'good' for you...his point was simply if you (you being the average person with no medical reason for being overweight) eat less calories than you burn you will more than likely lose weight.
    You may not be any healthier than you were before but you will be thinner.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Thanks for sharing.

I have realized on MFP we say "good job" ... "way to go" when people eat under their calorie total, but when you look at their diary you'll see most don't eat fruits and vegetables and it made me wonder should we encourage "good job" when one is not eating healthy? But this article really made me think - maybe it is all moderation. :smokin:

I still think it's best to eat fruits and vegetables ... it's good roughage. LOL

:drinker:
  • grandsolike
    grandsolike Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks for sharing.

I have realized on MFP we say "good job" ... "way to go" when people eat under their calorie total, but when you look at their diary you'll see most don't eat fruits and vegetables and it made me wonder should we encourage "good job" when one is not eating healthy? But this article really made me think - maybe it is all moderation. :smokin:

I still think it's best to eat fruits and vegetables ... it's good roughage. LOL

:drinker:

Ditto on the roughage...fruits and veggies are also lower in calories so you can have more of them!
    The message I got from the article was that 'bad' food can still be part of a healthy diet as long as it's in moderation and within your calorie limit.
    I don't think I could carry on if I thought I'd never have chocolate again or a meal at McDonalds. :noway:
  • Great article.. indeed I would not follow his diet, but it did highlight the fact that the key for losing weight is reducing moderately your daily calories intake..
    I was expecting him to get skinnier but it's interesting to note that he also did get healthier in the process. How come?
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    [I don't think I could carry on if I thought I'd never have chocolate again or a meal at McDonalds. :noway:

Amen to that! I know that this is NOT a temporary thing for me; I will need to watch, if not count, my calories for the rest of my life. If I thought for one minute that this meant I could never again have a donut or a slice of pizza or some M&M's or a glass of wine, I would throw in the towel this very minute. (Especially if I had bacon in the house.)

Also, I don't recall this guy promoting this as a lifestyle. He's just saying watch the calories (hence the sugar and the fat) and you will lose weight. Simple as that.
This discussion has been closed.