At home weight lifting

Options
1st - I AM A BEGINNER. Never touched a weight.

2nd - My goal is WEIGHT LOSS.

For a variety of reasons, going to a gym to lift IS NOT FEASIBLE for me. So I want to lift in my basement.

Where do I start? What do I buy? Thanks!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'd start with a variety of bodyweight exercises, that way you can do them anywhere whenever. Look up You Are Your Own Gym app.

I'm not sure if lack of funds are a reason for not going to the gym, but buying weights can be expensive. I'm interested to see what others suggest.

ETA: I have some of those adjustable dumbbells like in the picture. Mine aren't bowflex though, those are expensive.

Bowflex-SelectTech-1090-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Single-1.jpg
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'd start with a suspension trainer, like the junglegym XT
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well there's always bodyweight exercises, and an old standy program is "You Are Your Own Gym". I've heard very good things about the program, and it's designed to be done with no equipment, or things found around the house.

Otherwise, it's hard to say, I wouldn't want you buying equipment before you've bothered trying it out to see how you like it (though I expect you will).

That said, all you really need is a bench, a barbell, some plates, and a rack or stand to put them on. You need to read a book before you buy all of this though, and I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women.

The basis is that you can hit nearly every muscle in your body, by doing the big, main lifts: Bench Press, Overhead Press, Squat, Deadlift, and Row. The only thing you're not hitting directly are your abs... but that's why God created situps lol

These are compound movements (multi-joint) that when done together train your whole body in a safe efficient way. That book will explain it, and every serious lifter uses those movements as the basis for their programs.

I guess the bodyweight counterparts are pushup, pull ups/chin ups, upside down pushup, squat, and toe touches.
  • Depictureboy
    Depictureboy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am big proponent of Kettlebells. But you need to take the time to learn to swing them properly. Once your form is down you are ready to rock. I like both Skoggs and Pavel. Pat Flynn is more hard core when you are ready for it.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    http://neilarey.com
    100 free body weight routines, plus several programs.
    Check out her 90 days of action program. It has different levels so you can make it match your fitness level, and if you download the meal guide it gives you a very opened daily menu, just adjust the amounts to fit your calorie goals on here.
    I am currently doing her Gladiator routine.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Les Mills Pump is a combination 'weight training' calorie burn program. I am hesitant to say weight training because you do not lift heavy - you lift light and do lots and lots of reps. he weight bar is a shorty - like 4 feet long - so it does not take up a lot of room.

I am in week 5 right now and it is keeping me pretty sore. I have gained muscle though (about an inch on my chest) and lost some fractions of an inch in waist and hips - weight unchanged - but I am within a couple of pounds of my goal weight so i am not trying to lose atm.

Tomorrow it amps up to Pump and Shred...longer workout. Probably will have to drop back on weights a bit just to complete it without resting mid-set.

If you do this program, I would by some partial plates (2 @ 2.5 pounds) so you can increase the weight 5 pounds at a time instead of 10. There are so many reps that the 5 pound increase will sap you to where you can't complete the routine for a week or so.
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have you considered resistance bands, they can be very affordable and do not take up a lot of space. Not technically lifting, but depending on your needs they may bridge a gap for you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    1st - I AM A BEGINNER. Never touched a weight.

2nd - My goal is WEIGHT LOSS.

For a variety of reasons, going to a gym to lift IS NOT FEASIBLE for me. So I want to lift in my basement.

Where do I start? What do I buy? Thanks!

If money isn't an issue start with the following:

Power rack/squat cage (for safety reasons) - my husband built me a squat rack and you can find those plans online.
    Stardard or Olymic bar (I have standard)
    Bench (for bench pressing)
    Plates (usually run 1$ per 1lb) Metal are best but if you can get the others it's great too.

Extras would be pads under the equipment if you are worried over the floor)
    Chalk for your hands
    Good shoes (I lift barefoot)
    Mirror for forum check.

I would check (depending on where you live) places like Kijiji or craigs list late January mid February...;) can get lots on the cheap then.

ETA: books like Starting strenght are always good too, otherwise go onto youtube and look for videos for form.
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well there's always bodyweight exercises, and an old standy program is "You Are Your Own Gym". I've heard very good things about the program, and it's designed to be done with no equipment, or things found around the house.

Otherwise, it's hard to say, I wouldn't want you buying equipment before you've bothered trying it out to see how you like it (though I expect you will).

That said, all you really need is a bench, a barbell, some plates, and a rack or stand to put them on. You need to read a book before you buy all of this though, and I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women.

The basis is that you can hit nearly every muscle in your body, by doing the big, main lifts: Bench Press, Overhead Press, Squat, Deadlift, and Row. The only thing you're not hitting directly are your abs... but that's why God created situps lol

These are compound movements (multi-joint) that when done together train your whole body in a safe efficient way. That book will explain it, and every serious lifter uses those movements as the basis for their programs.

I guess the bodyweight counterparts are pushup, pull ups/chin ups, upside down pushup, squat, and toe touches.

This is good advice.

Also, Stronglifts 5x5 is a good strenght training program for beginners: same big, main lifts and same minimal equipment.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Nerd fitness
    YAYOG
    convict conditioning
    Shot of adenaline
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options

All of the above. When you start looking for equipment (squat rack/cage, bench etc), check out craigslist. A friend and I have made our own home gym in his basement. Squat rack, 2 sets of plates, lat machine, bench, calf machine, safety stands, full set of dumbbells 5-80, mats, mirrors etc for under $1500. Even if you decide to quit lifting, they equipment will still be worth something.

[/quote

All of the above]