Best Brand of Protein Powder?

Options
What brand of protein powder has the best taste, cost and nutritional value overall? I am at a loss as to which brand to begin with seeing as there are so many to choose from. It may simply be trial and error, but I would be thankful if someone could point me in the right direction. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• loveisblind1
    Options
    I personally have used now foods whey protein isolate, muscle milk, and optimum whey protein. Optimum is a good value for the amount of protein. Muscle milk tastes pretty good (the banana is my favorite), and the now foods one is the one i drink now. I like it for its taste and nutrients. Here's another guide that you can sort out by ratings:http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I remember for years optimum was rated the best in quality control, taste and price. Not sure how it stands now, but I still buy it
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have been going with Cellucor. Although I don't use protein powder every day. I get most of my protein from chicken breast. I would try Cellucor's stuff though. I love the flavors.
  • JimiB73
    Options
    Also agree that cellucor is an excellent choice
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition. I keep the double chocolate & French vanilla (awesome bases for most shakes).

As far as cost its kinda a bargin - $30 on amazon for 30 servings. (For a 2lb container).

If i remember correctly muscle milk was more *stuff* than optimum nutrition. ON is whey protein basically (24g protien but only 1g fat & 3g carbs.)

My thought was If im going to have carbs, sugar & fats in my shake. I want to choose what they are. For me i make a shake with protien powder, almond milk, frozen fruit & ice as meal replacement a few times a week. If i follow up with a bottle of water im full for hours for 250-350 calories.
  • llephx
    Options
    I will definitely be checking out these brands. You guys are a great help. Thanks :smile:
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I like ON, Dymatize and BSNs chocolate peanut butter is delicious. Costco also carries ON, Cellucor and some others. Nutrition shops will usually give you samples so you can try some out.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Im a super frugal gal so I go to Walmart, Super Advanced Whey Protein by Body Fortress. Has great reviews. You can get it at other places but I get mine with tax for around 17 dollars 1.95lbs....chocolate...Can't beat the price and value.
  • llephx
    Options
    I love the recipe for the protein shake you provided, so I will definitely be trying that out. Thank you for the information.
  • llephx
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • fitwithwhit88
    fitwithwhit88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've tried quite a few...hopefully this is helpful!

Full list of brands I've tried include:
    --Body Fortress (from Walmart, Chocolate PB - delish, especially if making a shake with a frozen banana and/or PB2 added, Strawberry - tastes great!, Cookies N' Cream - doesn't really taste like Oreos or anything, oddly, tastes more like coconut to me, but still good!, and Vanilla. They also make a Vanilla isolate which tastes great and has more protein and even fewer carbs).
    --Bodylogix (from Meijer, Vanilla - awesome flavor. Probably my favorite powder of those I've tried thus far. A bit pricier, at around $20-$22 for 2lbs., but worth it! High protein to carb/fat ratio)
    -- Designer Whey (Vanilla - okay, but not really my favorite, even if it only contains 100 calories/scoop)
    --Generic Meijer store brand (Chocolate and Vanilla - these are okay if you're on a tight budget, but definitely not my top pick)
    -- Muscle Milk (Graham Cracker - INSANELY good flavor. Does contain more fat and carbs than most traditional whey proteins)
    -- Syntha 6 (Cake Batter - wouldn't recommend this one. Flavor seemed off to me and has composition similar to Muscle Milk. If the flavor was better, I'd take it, but since it's not, I'd prefer a powder with a higher protein ratio to carbs/fat.

I've heard lots of great things about Optimum Nutrition and plan to purchase that brand next. From what I've read, this is probably your best value powder in terms of grams of protein per dollar.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Trutein. Hands down, the best I have (granted, I've only tried 4-5 different brands). Someone suggested the stuff from walmart, and I thought it wasn't bad. Then I tried Trutein. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. If I'm craving something sweet, it can hit the spot. I love the cinnabun and the chocolate peanut butter cup is pretty good too (I just love cinnamon more than chocolate personally). I make it with water, and a friend asked if I mixed it with milk. It's that creamy. And delicious!