Need help

Options
I am needing help with figuring out a workout plan. I am 5'5 weighing 198. I am currently on thyroid meds as it left me long time ago ( lol) and the doctor put me on Adipex ( I had a bad blood work that showed prediabetic). My diet is 130g in Carbs and 30g in Fat.

I do have access to a gym and I am going but here is my dilemma. I want to drop the weight fast as I can and then tone up. I have been doing strength training as well as cardio but I am starting to see I am not losing the weight due to muscle gain. I would like to drop another 10-20 pounds before I start getting my muscle tone.... Make sense? Don't get me wrong I want to be healthy but I want to be out of the pre diabetes. I am getting discouraged when I see the weight staying on.

What would be a good workout for me?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's *very* hard to gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. In all probability, you're not seeing the numbers on the scale going down because you're seeing water retention from all the new exercise you're doing. Just stay the course, eat at your calorie goal, and log your food as accurately at consistently as possible.

If you haven't already, invest in a good kitchen scale and weigh all of your food portions. Since you're exercising, think about purchasing a heart rate monitor too.

Before you know it, the weight will start to come off.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    OP, you mention several goals, like getting out of being prediabetic , losing weight and toning up. I think you may need to select one goal at a time, instead of conquering everything at once. Which one is more important today?
  • debralekicsummers
    debralekicsummers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    try the insanity program by beach body, it will help you gain muscle and loose weight. It was and is my lifesaver. I also suffer from insulin resistance caused by pcos and struggle to loose, but Insanity was my life saver. It is hard but the results are awesome. It doesn't just make you physically stronger but mentally too. good luck
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    OP, you mention several goals, like getting out of being prediabetic , losing weight and toning up. I think you may need to select one goal at a time, instead of conquering everything at once. Which one is more important today?

Like she said one goal at a time....First off it takes over a month for any one to really lose any weight. Usually first month is the water weight. I jumped up to 192 and lost 10 very quickly after being on here for 6 weeks. I wasnt logging correctly either. I tried the 1200 diet but didnt accurately log my drinks that have calories either. Once I did I tweaked on things that I knew I could. I didnt eliminate anything just started cutting back on alot of my portions including my calorie drinks. But I noticed what my calorie goal was cut back on it and try my best to stay within it. Also eat alot of protein and fiber enriched foods to keep you full longer
  • grneyes0908
    Options
    Thanks everyone.... I ended up meeting with a trainer for about 4 sessions and through talking with him.... My calorie intake is really low. The dr put me on a limit on my carbs ( 130g) and my fats (30) daily. Well I have been staying within that range BUT I am not doing such a good job as I very rarely hit 1000 calories for the day. I am at the gym atleast every two days if not every day. The trainer also thinks I might have changed to much at the same time ( diet and then increased in the exercise ( treadmill and the weight lifting).

All I drink is water but I have been drinking mostly water for at least 6 months prior ( with the exception of 2 cups of coffee a day-- that I cut out)... So far I am down 12.2 pounds since December 21st and I go back to the dr tomorrow .