Veggies?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for new veggies to try and I'm experimenting with spices. What vegetables do you like, how do you cook them and what spices do you use?

I used to be a very picky eater so vegetables are uncharted territory for me. At this point, I'm willing to try almost anything except tomatoes and celery. I've tried them several time and still can't bring myself to enjoy them. Other than that, I'm open. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like water chestnuts sautéed in soy sause
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good! Thanks!
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Np :) oh and any raw veggie is good w hummus
    Ps. Tomatoes and celery are gross!
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite veggie recipe from Good Eats

Carrots sliced cooked for 5 minutes in ginger ale, then uncover add chilli powder cook for about another 5 minutes until ginger ale reduces to a glaze then add parsley and serve

Better if you make the Good Eats ginger ale recipe.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all vegetables. (I forgot how to link)
    Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts - http://www.savvyeat.com/maple-roasted-brussels-sprouts/
    Escarole - http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/rotini-white-beans-escarole-50400000115201/ (I add Kale and Spinach to this)
    Tomatoes are Delicious!
    Roast some Gold beets in the oven with some EVOO and salt, serve on toasted Rye bread with a cucumber/yogurt dressing with some cut up avocado
    Avocado - http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/smashed-chickpea-avocado-salad-sandwich/
    http://theveeword.blogspot.com/ has a bunch of recipes because it's a vegan site
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love roasting vegetables! Almost any vegetable is delicious roasted with salt, pepper, and olive oil. I love carrots with chili powder or paprika and sweet potatoes with cumin and maple syrup. My favorite veggies to snack on are carrots, cucumbers, and bell peppers.
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas! I can't wait to try these:happy:
  • Haskin_Fuzernick
    Haskin_Fuzernick Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1) Homemade salsa. You get to sneak a bunch of veggies in there and then use it on other stuff, plus you control the salt instead of being at the mercy of what Pace gives you.
    2) Green smoothies. There's a recent thread here on that.
    3) Any veg combined with the homemade salsa. I tossed a large portabella mushroom in a pan of water last night and steamed it. Cooked some brown rice in another pan, added some other veg to cook (misc - don't even remember what) and some chia seeds, and then tossed in some salsa. Served that piled high on the mushroom.
    4) Salad with hot dressing. I'll also make a hot salad dressing with salsa and some bolthouse yogurt dressing in a pan, add some nutritional yeast and flax seed meal to thicken more, and then add some type of meat chopped up. Pour over a large salad for a hot dressing.
  • tembii
    tembii Posts: 34
    Options
    Cut a zucchini in half and scoop out the insides so it's like a little boat, then put your cooked meat in it mixed with some chopped up carrots or celery or anything else you like, and mix up the insides of the zucchini in it, then if you like put some cheese on top and back it for a few minutes or so, ta-da! Stuffed zucchini boats c:
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    • Asparagus sauted in lemon juice, garlic, salt & pepper
    • Peppers, onions & mushrooms sauted with garlic, salt & pepper, then cooked in tomato sauce
    • Spaghetti squash, roasted in the oven with butter, salt & pepper (or used in place of regular spaghetti)
    • Acorn squash, roasted with butter, salt & pepper, then stuffed with brown -or- wild rice
    • Red cabbage, cooked down with sliced red onions, apples, or made raw as a coleslaw