Doctor cut my blood pressure medication in half...

Options
With all three pregnancies I've had, I developed pre-eclampsia each time. With the last pregnancy, (daughter was born in August 2011), my hypertension didn't go away like it did with the other two.

Hypertension runs in my family. Both parents and all three siblings have it (even little brother who's 24). So I felt doomed; hopeless, helpless to have to take medication for this evil diagnosis for the rest of my life.

Well, when I made the commitment to myself back in July (2013) to finally lose this weight, I was desperately hoping that it would bring my blood pressure down naturally and I could wean myself from the medication. As I've been losing the weight, I've been seeing my practitioner every thirty days to monitor my loss and my overall health. I care very much for my health if that wasn't clear yet... ;)

And I'm a bit OCD which is another reason I was determined to lose the weight.

A little back story on me: I gained almost 100 pounds from over 10 years ago when I first got pregnant with my son to when I had my last baby in August 2011. I was unhealthy and it was not all my fault. I had trouble carrying children and was on bed rest for most of my three pregnancies. And then after the last baby, I had four different surgeries, for four different reasons. None of those were for weight loss. After my last surgery, an emergency gallbladder removal (in June 2013), I had to wait 7 weeks before I could go back to the gym. I was anxious because the surgery prior to that one, a rhinoplasty to fix a veered septum which had lead to a complete blocked right sinus cavity (which caused chronic acute sinus infections), I could breathe better and in turn it was easier to work out.

By the end of July, I was cleared to go back to the gym and get back on track. I was more determined than ever, especially because I was about to turn 30 in November and I wanted to give myself the best birthday present ever: good health. And the better body didn't hurt either. ;)

I have achieved and exceeded what I didn't think was possible and in turn, that has given my heart the biggest benefit. At my doctor's appointment last week, she said the magical words, "Let's cut your medication in half." I was elated; I wanted to hug her...

Now the plan is to go three more months and see what happens. I'm absolutely determined to get myself off of that medication. I know I can do it... I want to defy genetics. Take that science! Ha! :)

Cheer me on? Add me if you would like to join my journey. I'll cheer you on, too.

To health, new friend.

-Melissa

Replies

• MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Melissa! You look fantastic...loved your other post about the jeans!
  • oosterman
    oosterman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thats Just Awesome! congrats!
  • FitBelleVie
    FitBelleVie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! :D
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I AM SO THERE FOR YOU!

I was 100 pounds (or more) overweight when my doctor began experimenting with putting me on BP meds last March. After trying SEVERAL of them, I knew I had to try to change myself - I could not stand the way those meds made me feel!

I went online to find as many ways as I could to lower my BP naturally. I learned that Hibiscus Tea and hard cooked egg whites might help me lower my BP. OF COURSE, I realized that weight loss would help too!

I learned about slow breathing, Paleo, singing to relax, and the more I learned, the lower my BP and my blood sugar went. And I honestly believe my AGE has gotten lower too.

I've come to realize what should have been totally obvious- If I feed my body good fuel, everything works better and I FEEL BETTER. If I fuel my body on garbage, I get the opposite result.

You are just the sort of take charge example of what I'm doing. Blessings to yo, keep up the good work, and BE SURE TO KEEP POSTING!
  • rsmith77
    rsmith77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!