High in Protein foods

Options
What do you eat to get your protein everyday. Cant afford to contantly buy protein powder for two of us. I'm not a huge meat eater. For the most part only beef and chicken breast. I can get tired of grilled chicken breast, then drop off the good eating lifestyle.

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Other parts of chicken, like thigh, drum sticks, wings, etc
    Turkey
    Lamb
    Pork (bacon is awesome!!!)
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Cheese
    Yogurt
    Fish
    Seafood

I don't buy or consume protein powders, and I get plenty of protein in my diet everyday.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    On top of what Fruittibiscott said, I would add cottage cheese, which is delicious sweet, savory or all by its lonesome.
  • newyorkgiants123
    Options
    All natural peanut butter with no added ingredients.
    Milk
    Other dried nuts
    Canned fish (tuna)
    Yoghurt
    Beans
    Mushrooms
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Have you considering buying a half or quarter cow and freezing it?

ETA: I eat ricotta cheese as opposed to cottage cheese (my diary is open to all if you're curious). For me, I like the texture and taste better. It's lower in sodium.

Sarauk2sf has a great protein list posted somewhere. I'm too lazy to look for it right now, but it's quite helpful. Anyone else have the link handy?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    All natural peanut butter with no added ingredients.
    Milk
    Other dried nuts
    Canned fish (tuna)
    Yoghurt
    Beans
    Mushrooms
    Nuts and peanut butter are more a fat source than a protein source, beans and milk are more carbs than protein, and mushrooms (also spinach), whereas they may have a high percentage of their calories from protein, you are going to be hard-pressed to eat enough of them to make a dent in your daily protein needs.

Here's protein sources from Sarauk2sf: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    if it had a heartbeat, eat it. it will have lots of glorious protein.

i have no research to back this up, but i think chicken has the best protein to calorie ratio.
    could be way off though.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my protein from plain, nonfat greek yogurt.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar spot. I'm trying to reduce my meat intake to save money and for ethical and health reasons. I only eat chicken breast, lean beef, and fish. I also eat tofu and edamame, although not too often because soy isn't too healthy in large quantities. I've also been having more quinoa. Rice and beans make a delicious, cheap complete protein. Eggs are delicious and cheap sources of protein and other nutrients; sometimes I'll make one egg and add extra egg whites for more protein with less calories and fat.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    My fave high protein foods are chicken breast, fish (tilapia), turkey burgers and sausages, cottage cheese (1% fat = 80 calories, 13g protein), yogurt, milk, and nuts. I can sometimes add a little extra with whole grains such as bagels, rice, pasta, and high protein cereal.
  • jen_mv
    jen_mv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Legumes of any sort (soy, peas, beans, lentils), nuts and nut butters.
  • BCoffey3
    BCoffey3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    See I'm so picky when it comes to stuff. I don't eat fish, cottage cheese or chicken. I'm not crazy about eggs...so that's why I decided to try protein powder to help. I love yogurt and fruit and beans..but it takes me over in my carbs.
  • tinakowalik
    tinakowalik Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    We started eating lentils. 1/2 cup has almost 9g of protein. Tasty and easy to make, Also tried Greek yogurt. Had for breakfast, and it kept me full longer. G per serving.
  • Pete0725
    Pete0725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One 5oz can of Solid White Albacore (Servings Per Container 2) has a total of 12g of protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I have eggs, chicken, salmon, white fish (usually snapper), kangaroo, and beef regularly. I also use protein powder - to make "bread" or pancakes, and gelatin (Great Lakes).

I eat a load of vegies and get more protein than I think from them, but I would never rely on them for protein (or beans/quinoa, or nuts)
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    This is what I was going to ask also. Having trouble getting enough most days...
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    if you compute the protein per grams, those protein powder are actually cheap enough. still it's recommended to take shakes minimally and eat as much as various protein source as you can.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    One 5oz can of Solid White Albacore (Servings Per Container 2) has a total of 12g of protein.
    A 5 oz. can of tuna should have more like 26 grams of protein. Is albacore that much fattier than regular tuna or something?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    See I'm so picky when it comes to stuff. I don't eat fish, cottage cheese or chicken. I'm not crazy about eggs...so that's why I decided to try protein powder to help. I love yogurt and fruit and beans..but it takes me over in my carbs.
    "Good, fast, or cheap. Pick two." can be analogized to apply to many situations in life.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ground turkey and chicken thighs. chicken thighs are much cheaper than breast and a lot more flavorful
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Eggs, egg whites, chicken, steak, ham, canned tuna, deli meats, fortified breads, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, cheese, protein powder/bars/shakes.