How did you pick your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• greenhudler
    Options
    I chose my initial goal weight on my pre-pregnancy weight with my youngest. I'm 5'5 and I was 130 pounds. Long term goal wise I would like to be around 120. I chose that goal weight because it is the weight I was at when I felt my most healthy and vibrant. If I get to a weight and I feel happy and healthy -- I'll stay around it. I won't go below 120 though, with my frame I look like awkward skin and bones.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My pre pregnancy weight was around 112lbs so I chose that. I am 114 so I'm more or less in maintenance mode now. I'm focusing on toning and strength training now
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I was 241 lbs. So I looked at my BMI and then looked at what my weight would be at a BMI of 25 and from there I saw that getting down to 141 lbs was going to put in a normal weight range so 100 lbs seemed like a sexy sounding number. I've been down to 245 and I put a little bit back on since deciding to maintain so I'm taking those 5 pounds off and then getting down to 241 this year (20`4). It's not a lot of weight and I just have to tweak a little bit to do it.
  • mrsbiscuit
    Options
    I chose mine because I used to hover around the 140s most of my adult life before my initial weight gain. My body had a setpoint there, I guess -- and I never watched what I ate, though I was active. I want that back!!
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't really pick a particular weight. More like a size-range, and I figure whatever weight I am when I look like this is my "goal weight" to maintain:

America+Ferrera+Dresses+Skirts+Cocktail+Dress+nu0gSXvrSW2l.jpg
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    my goal is to get abs.....which is coming along very slooowwly

Weight i cont care for as much.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My goal weight has changed probably 5 times during the journey. I had never been an a "normal" weight so i had no idea what to pick. Now that i'm getting closer, i've picked somewhere in the middle of my normal BMI range.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    you can always change your goal. its not set in stone. i started out at 327lbs.. so i had ALOT to lose. looking at how i NEEDED to lose 100+lbs.. would have gotten me nowhere. i would have given up. that would have seemed way too impossible. my first goal was to get down to 300. losing ANY weight.. was good enough for me. anything would be a success. then i just decided to get to 250.. 200.. lose 100lbs total.. and 150lbs lost total.. and i just keep going.. ultimately i want to reach HALF the weight i started with.. and then maybe get down to the weight of 150... see how that goes for my body.. which will end up with maybe taking it a little further and then maintenance.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Halfway between where I was through most of HS (when my family would sometimes make note of the little bit of "softness" I could stand to lose) and the point where I was told I was "getting too thin."
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My mfp goal weight is for 11 stone, the weight I was when I was at Uni and felt quite confident in my shape. But if I get there and decide to go any lower it will be 10 1/2 stone minimum (my GP who knows me very well suggested this as a minimum for me). I am quite curvy and even when I am lighter I have a fair size bum and boobs, so I like to be a nice balanced hourglass shape. But basically I am going to see how I feel along the way.

I started this new routine in mid October at 14 stone and have lost 1 stone so far (14lb). The last time I was successful at losing quite a bit of weight I got down to 12 stone 2 and, following an illness for a few months, I got disheartened and put it all back on (and more). I think that getting below 12 stone will be a real milestone for me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's a weight I've previously been and felt comfortable.
    However I'd like to have a lot more muscle this time around so this time the number might not match the size I have in my head. I have to figure out that part as i go.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Everything has changed along the way. I started with a goal of 148, just to be under 150 forever. I was probably thinking about a size 8 at that point. I thought size 8 would be marvelous. Then I got to 148 pretty easily and changed to 138, then 133. I bought size 6 jeans sometime in there. Now I'm 125 with a final goal weight of 123 (long-term goal of never going over 130...127-8 will be my red zone). I'm swimming in my size 6s. I'm anywhere from a 0-4 depending on the store/brand.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I want to lose a minimum of 20 pounds. That would put me in a size 10-12. That has been the lowest weight I could maintain after having my kids and I could live with that.

My "ideal" weight would be to lose another 20 pounds, putting me at a size 8. That was my size in my mid-late 20's when I had time to spend 2 hours a night at the gym and I was super-strict about my diet. I don't know how realistic it is to think I could once again maintain that low of a weight, but I could certainly aim for it and see what happens!
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I picked an arbitrary number and am totally cool with being upwards of 25-30 pounds heavier than my GW, as long as I am happy. I'm not sure how my body will look, because I haven't had a healthy BMI in many years.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Rather arbitrarily, I chose my high school graduation weight from almost 40 years ago.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I picked mine based on the high end of the healthy BMI for my height since I've never been under 175-180. Once I get there I'll maintain and work on fitness. If I decide to lose more I will do it very slowly
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    I looked at a BMI chart and picked a weight that would put me in the middle of normal category. Right now I'm on the very upper end of normal.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing collection of vintage lingerie, cocktail dresses and evening gowns, seriously...a whole closet full. Some were my mom's and/or grandmother's...some I've picked up at estate sales, some have been gifted to me. I also have bins of outdoor activity clothes, camping/hiking, skiing, etc. When I can fit into all my really COOL clothes again, I'll be done!

Intensely jealous of your closet ;)

me, too! I love vintage clothing also and have purchased a coat that I just love and get compliments on all of the time.

I also used BMI as a guide. Almost to maintenance and will re-evaluate when I get there. Now that I am close, I'd rather focus on fitness goals and am training to do a mini-marathon in May.
  • linorang1
    Options
    I don't believe goal weight should be used. I recommend weight loss should continue until you begin see a desired look, more LBM ,less fat.
  • WSG88
    WSG88 Posts: 13
    Options
    I looked at a BMI chart and seen what range I should be in, I picked somewhere in the middle. Also it was the weight I was pre kiddos and in High School, I was happy with my body back then (well ... for the most part anyway lol) and would like to feel like that again.