Sweeteners?

Options
I bought the book 'Eat Clean Diet Recharged' and it's pretty interesting. I'm going to TRY to give up artificial sweeteners as well as white sugars... So what in the world do I use to sweeten things? What is a common inexpensive sweetener that you guys use for coffee, oatmeal, etc?

Thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Well, for oatmeal and things like that, I always use honey, its good in teas also. I pretty much use honey for almost everything, drizzle it on apples, in cereal, and its really good for you.....
  • Kristy1214
    Options
    Sugar in the raw isn't white sugar, it's more expensive, but I like it. :)
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    For oatmeal, just put some raisins in it, so each bite gives a slight sweet taste to it. I dont put anything in my tea and I dont drink coffee.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I love honey and agave nectar to sweeten things!
  • Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    HONEY IS A GREAT SWEETENER.
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I follow the Eat Clean Diet and use sucanat, agave nectar, or honey. They all work great in baking, as well.
  • Boony911
    Options
    I have used Stevia for years & love it. I've always bought it at the local Health Food store, but now they are starting to carry it in the grocery store.
  • sp33
    sp33 Posts: 10
    Options
    Raw cane sugar for my coffee, honey or agave nectar for my oatmeal and teas. For some reason i just cant get away from sugar for coffee, but I don't feel guilty about it. Look for low glycemic index, even though honey and agave are higher in calories they break down in the body better. I prefer things that come from nature, that's just the way I roll:wink:
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar when I started MFP. I tried many substitutes, including the "pink and blue packets" as well as various stevia products. I did not care for the after taste. I discovered a product called IDEAL NO CALORIE SWEETENER. No after taste!
    I drink lots of coffee! In the summer I also used it in my iced tea. Here is what they say about their product:

"Ideal® no calorie sweetener is the ideal replacement for your sugar bowl! Ideal® has fantastic taste which comes from its unique combination of ingredients. Ideal® contains more than 99% natural ingredients (Natural Xylitol and Natural Maltodextrin) by volume (with a small amount of non-natural sucralose-a concentrated sweetener), and it keeps its sweetness, volume and texture in baking as well as dissolves quickly and completely in hot or cold drinks. It measures cup for cup like sugar, and Ideal® is delicious for sweetening fresh fruit or cereal to satisfy that sweet tooth. Ideal® is a great sugar alternative for the whole family!"

And here is a link to their site:
    http://www.idealsweet.com/

I hope this helps.
  • Alleghany
    Options
    UGH...Got a HUGE sweettooth! Been trying to cut out anything sweet besides whole fruit out of my diet...even w/my coffee (since I'm trying to quit that as well). I was using Agave but there are reports that it is highly processed as well and isn't really that good for you. I'm now using natural maple syrup if I need the sweet. I've heard this isn't terrible for you but who knows...
  • Raina0512
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE!! :happy: I'm going to look at Raw Sugar and Truvia tonight and see what the differences are... I appreciate your help!
  • moredib
    Options
    I put blueberries or raspberries in my oatmeal and make it with almond milk instead of regular milk and use agave instead of honey.
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    stevia extract for sure. it's in drop form and you only need a couple of drops to sweeten things. It's completely natural too.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I like agave nectar.
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    I tried Truvia and I thought it still had that chemical taste. I use Sugar In The Raw and its so good!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm a honey person.
  • tenoclockbird
    Options
    "Stevia in the Raw" is way cheaper than Truvia, I think. It still has a bit of an after taste, but it's natural, at least.

I'm going to pick up some natural Maple Syrup. Makes sense that it wouldn't be too terrible, and you probably don't need much. I love honey, but sometimes it's just not right.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz said to stick with things like Truvia (sweetener from nature but 0 calories, it does have 3 grams of carbs per packet tho) and honey. He said that everyone should give up splenda, sweet n low, and equal. I tried the truvia sweetener last night actually and it tastes exactly like sugar except it is calorie free and is still all natural!
  • littlewhirl
    Options
    We use agave nectar quite a bit & maple sugar too. Maple sugar is expensive but it's twice as sweet as regular sugar and it's MUCH better for you. Even things like sucanat, turbinado & milled cane are still processed sugar, just less so.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    try a few dates in your oatmeal! 3 dates chopped, and 2 tsp of chopped walnuts mixed into prepared oatmeal is pretty tasty! the dates sweeten the oats nicely... kind of ends up tasting like a fruit and nut cereal :wink: