Gluten-Free?

Options
Question - has anyone gone gluten-free? Mother-in-law is staying with us at the moment and because of pre-diabetes, weight gain/trouble losing weight and bloating, her doctor suggested she go gluten-free. We can always buy and cook separately, but that would be a pain in the a... So, I thought I might give it a try with her to see if that helps me as well. I don't have diabetes, but I have another type of insulin-resistant disorder. I may not go gluten-free, but I might just cut back on it by trying some gluten-free items in my diet. Has anyone gone gluten-free and had positive results in regards to weight loss/fatigue? Anything bad? Thanks!

Replies

• FatSLPSally
    Options
    I have been gluten free for over 5 years now. I never had the celiac test because you have to have a endoscopy and it cost way too much money for me at the time- even with insurance. And to get the test now I'd have to eat gluten again for several weeks and I am not willing to do that.

Anyway, I was chronically ill for about 10 years with a variety of problems. No one could ever figure out what was wrong with me. I was tired all the time- I'm talking I'd nap nearly every day after work because just sitting at my desk exhausted me. Giving up gluten absolutely changed my life. I never realized before I had a swollen belly. I just thought that's where I store fat. I still hate my belly, but it doesn't protrude like it used to. I have more energy and I am definitely healthier overall.

I will say this with the caveat that giving up gluten is not some magic solution. I really believe I have a gluten intolerance (I actually think my grandmother does too, but she'd never change at this point in her life). If you do not have an intolerance, it might not make you feel any different at all.

But, if it's something you want to try, there are so many great gluten free recipes out there. And almost always you can modify your favorites to make them gluten free. Good luck!
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has celiac along with an allergy to rice so she has had to cut out gluten and go rice free as well. She is a pro Bikini competitor and has website with a ton of tasy options and ideas. The website is SandiForsythe.com
  • Michelle_MyBelle
    Michelle_MyBelle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for over 5 years now. I never had the celiac test because you have to have a endoscopy and it cost way too much money for me at the time- even with insurance. And to get the test now I'd have to eat gluten again for several weeks and I am not willing to do that.

Anyway, I was chronically ill for about 10 years with a variety of problems. No one could ever figure out what was wrong with me. I was tired all the time- I'm talking I'd nap nearly every day after work because just sitting at my desk exhausted me. Giving up gluten absolutely changed my life. I never realized before I had a swollen belly. I just thought that's where I store fat. I still hate my belly, but it doesn't protrude like it used to. I have more energy and I am definitely healthier overall.

I will say this with the caveat that giving up gluten is not some magic solution. I really believe I have a gluten intolerance (I actually think my grandmother does too, but she'd never change at this point in her life). If you do not have an intolerance, it might not make you feel any different at all.

But, if it's something you want to try, there are so many great gluten free recipes out there. And almost always you can modify your favorites to make them gluten free. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the reply. I can assure you that I definitely don't see gluten-free as a miracle diet, just a substitution for certain items I guess. I have my reasons why I would like to try with her: I am always tired, belly fat, I even read somewhere that it may even help with infertility... Thanks again! Glad it helped you!
  • Kitkay805
    Options
    I have recently gone gluten free (been doing it for about a month and a half now) and I think it will be something that I will be sticking with. My mother in law is gluten intolerant and was telling me about it. The more symptoms she was giving me the more I was relating... so I figured why not try.

I have been experimenting with tons of different recipes. I haven't gone completely gluten free yet but with what I have been doing I feel like I am already gaining energy! Big plus for me!
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been mostly gluten-free for many, many years. Through an elimination diet in my early teens, I determined pizza, pasta, and bread always made me sick so I gave them up. Fast forward a few years and my grandma was diagnosed with celiac... It all started to come together and I've been totally gluten-free since.

When I hear pre-diabetes, I think low-carb, not gluten-free. You can still eat a ton of carbs while not eating gluten. Almond flour, rice/corn pasta, etc are used as substitutes for wheat. And they are absolutely not healthier than wheat.

Unless you have celiac or an intolerance or some other reason (and a family member who requires a gluten-free diet is a pretty good reason for simplicity sake), gluten-free won't do anything for you except drain your wallet faster.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I have been slacking lately but when I go gluten free I feel so much more amazing. I have food allergies so that as well as a vegan diet works well for me.
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free due to celiac, which I was diagnosed with about 3 1/2 years ago. It is not a miracle diet by any means. In fact, many gluten free products (such as breads and what not) have more sugar in than regular gluten full items, in order to make them taste relatively normal. I gained weight after being diagnosed and going gluten free, because I wanted to still get to eat bread and cookies and all that stuff, which was even worse for me than the regular stuff due to all the extra sugar. If you're really thinking of going gluten free to lose weight, my suggestion is to stick with natural products (outside perimeter of the grocery store which is just eating healthier in general anyway) and stay away from all of the touted gluten free products for the most part.
  • breakingred
    breakingred Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've gone thru more tests than I could list right now, even for celiac. Truth be told there are MANY tests that have a high false negative. All I know is that when I don't eat it I feel so much better. Like other people posted my symptoms were all over the place: tired, exhausted, couldn't sleep, couldn't concentrate, felt nauseous all the time but never actually vomited, severe constipation and then diarrhea. My nails were splitting hair falling out.

This is what I can tell you: when I don't eat gluten, I feel awesome. When I do I am in pain and all my symptoms come back.

Going gluten doesn't have to be expensive or complicated. A nice steak with two veggies on the side. A chicken breast with prosciutto and mozzarella. Google paleo or primal. I made a turkey and 13 sides all gluten free for thanksgiving feeding 17 people. NO ONE noticed it was all gluten free. No one didn't notice the fact there wasn't any bread. Oh and I also made 4 appetizers all gluten free. Friends brought dessert, 3 were gluten free

For the record I buy N.O.T.H.I.N.G that is fake- meaning I don't buy go bread cake or anything like that. At this time I eat no grains.
  • treefrogkate
    treefrogkate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been mostly gluten-free for many, many years. Through an elimination diet in my early teens, I determined pizza, pasta, and bread always made me sick so I gave them up. Fast forward a few years and my grandma was diagnosed with celiac... It all started to come together and I've been totally gluten-free since.

When I hear pre-diabetes, I think low-carb, not gluten-free. You can still eat a ton of carbs while not eating gluten. Almond flour, rice/corn pasta, etc are used as substitutes for wheat. And they are absolutely not healthier than wheat.

Unless you have celiac or an intolerance or some other reason (and a family member who requires a gluten-free diet is a pretty good reason for simplicity sake), gluten-free won't do anything for you except drain your wallet faster.
    THIS. So much this.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    All of my wt and health issues have been driven by my addiction to food made from ground grains. I am now attempting to have a diet that is mostly grain free. Occasionally I will have a tbsp or 2 of brown rice or tabbouleh but otherwise I don't incorporate it into my meals anymore. Beans are my primary starches now and I feel so much better and my hgba1c is perfect.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why people would go gluten-free if they dont HAVE to.

Have you ever tasted anything gluten-free? The whole gluten-free thing reminds me a lot of similar fads such as "dont eat fat" and "carbs are bad" and "stop eating protein" that Dr. Oz has endorsed.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law honestly almost died from celiac disease before she was diagnosed. My husband does not have celiac per se, but bloats like anything if he is not careful with his gluten and has had a foot of his intestine removed because of diverticulitis.

It is easy to lower your gluten. It is very difficult to go gluten free.

The easiest way to do it is to eat Chinese/Asian. No wheat/barley/oats. Rice is fine. There are a lot of no gluten cookie recipies out there - I just mailed one to my sister-in-law.

HOWEVER, if pre-diabetes is your issue, might I suggest just lowering your carbs to something under 30% Much easier than gluten free, not a no-carb diet, but it will help with your insulin resistance problems and is pretty easy to do.

Gluten is an intestinal irritant for some people. But easily processed carbs will cause insulin spikes for people who are prone towards diabetes or insulin resistance. They are NOT the same thing, although they overlap.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have celiac so I am gluten free. I feel a million times better since going gluten free. The one thing that I will always remember is the exhaustion that came with eating gluten. Will never go back to that.