Confused ... Did I Run too Much?

Options
Hi-

There is a lot going on here... but I will try to explain...

So from Sunday, December 22nd - January 1st (with the exception of Christmas Day) I ran about 8 to 8.5 miles each day (except on Christmas Eve I ran a total of 10 miles to compensate for a few cookies on Christmas Day). I had maintained my weight of 122 to 124 pounds (fluctuated depending on the day) for like three months. On the 22nd I weighed in at 122.5. The day after Christmas I was up to 125.5, but I expected that... due to water weight from some salty and sugary foods that I normally do not consume. The 27th I was up another pound to 126.5 Then instead of losing the water weight like I presumed I ended up just sitting at 126.5 pounds until yesterday. Yesterday, January 2nd I went up to just under 128 pounds so I drank a lot of extra water and took some stool softeners because I also thought I was constipated because my stomach felt heavy and rock hard and was extremely bloated (sorry TMI) so that might explain the additional gain. I had a bowel movement this morning and went to spin class and sweated like crazy got on the scale and was up another 2 pounds to 130 pounds (I always weigh at same time after my workout for the day).

I can't even remember the last time I weighed in at this much. I'm not going to lie.. I'm starting to freak out a little because I don't want it to keep going up... I was really happy at my weight of 122 - 124. I mean, I did splurge a little on Christmas Day as well as New Years Eve, but really not enough to cause maybe more then a pound or two over the entire period of time. Most days, I ate less then I normally do because I was just sitting around all day (outside of my morning run) so I wasn't as hungry.

I know exercise can cause water retention, but its not like exercise is new to me and on top of it I usually run 3-4 days every week for about 6 to 7 miles so I don't know why it has hit me so hard this time. Could this really all be water retention? But if it is, why hasn't anything come off? Granted I know it has only been yesterday and today I didn't run, but I didn't even maintain -- I gained more! I read that it could also be cortisel? How do i get that down then? I don't know what to do... I bought some mild diuretics today and took one because my stomach still feels bloated and heavy. I've lost the definition in my stomach and it looks like a layer of fat has formed. My legs also appear slightly bigger and a little bit swollen around the knees but everyone says I don't look 8 pounds heavier-- so I'm at a loss here!

I need to get this under control like NOW?!?!?! I'm really upset and frustrated because I was super careful about portions and what I ate during the entire holiday season and passed up a lot of good food! If i knew I was gonna gain eight pounds anyways I would have just ate it!

What's going on here?!?!? Help Please!!!

Replies

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This is all just my opinion and nothing scientific to back it up but maybe your body is still responding to the holidays, you said you don't usually eat salty or sweet foods. I think you are freaking yourself out over nothing. Just get back into your routine and stop weighing in every day because that's just causing you to get frustrated.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, it could be the running. As you increase your mileage, your body becomes more efficient at manufacturing glycogen - and glycogen is stored with a significant amount of water. I trained for a marathon last year and before my longest runs, my weight would go up as much as 8 pounds. The weight would be gone immediately after the run and come back as I started eating again and rebuilding glycogen stores.

You just ran 80 - 90 miles in the same timespan that you usually run about 30 miles. That is a HUGE increase. Your body may be adjusting by storing extra glycogen. You may also be storing water as your muscles are recovering. It's considered safest to only increase your mileage by 10% or less per week.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, it could be the running. As you increase your mileage, your body becomes more efficient at manufacturing glycogen - and glycogen is stored with a significant amount of water. I trained for a marathon last year and before my longest runs, my weight would go up as much as 8 pounds. The weight would be gone immediately after the run and come back as I started eating again and rebuilding glycogen stores.

You just ran 80 - 90 miles in the same timespan that you usually run about 30 miles. That is a HUGE increase. Your body may be adjusting by storing extra glycogen. You may also be storing water as your muscles are recovering. It's considered safest to only increase your mileage by 10% or less per week.

^^^agree.. Be thankful you didn't injure yourself. That was a massive increase
  • marathon_44
    marathon_44 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. I do a lot of marathons, but have pretty low mileage run weeks in between. After every one, I gain about 5 pounds, which takes about 4 to 6 days to disappear. My guess is that it is just inflammation from the large increase in mileage.
  • farfromperfectdottv
    Options
    Let's look at the science.

If you were to actually GAIN 8 pounds, you would have had to have consumed 28,000 calories MORE than you expended. Which, given your weight, I seriously doubt that happened. I've been in marathon mode the last several months, and I probably consumed that many calories period in a week and a half time, minimum. That's not excess calories, that's just eat-to-fuel-my-body-properly calories.

Your body is responding to the mileage. Your body is holding onto glycogen, your energy stores, and you are retaining more fluids because of this. Your muscles are working more, and when your muscles work, your blood is pumping more. There is a lot of water in your blood. Heck, there's a lot of water in your body. It helps to maintain homeostasis- a healthy level that keeps you alive. So, as your body requires more, it retains more water. I run all the time, and during high mileage seasons runners tend to put on weight. Even my tiniest running buddies put on 5 pounds or more, but it's not fat. Part of it may come from an increase in your appetite (do you have a bad case of the runchies?), but a lot of it just because of science and your body responding to its needs.

Your weight fluctuates throughout the day, everyday. Mine fluctuates up to 10 pounds a day from morning to bedtime, and I can stay bloated up to a week from a bad day of eating. My weight is just now getting back to normal from baaaad eating at Christmas.

So, calm down. Everything is ok :)

On a side note, please be cautious about that big of increase in mileage. You're more likely to develop an injury from overuse by bumping up that quickly. Find a good plan for whatever you're working towards (Hal Higdon's are what I use) and use those as a guide. I speak from experience- I sprained my knee during the summer from a rapid increase in my daily mileage (from just a 2-3 week window), and now I have an even more serious knee injury. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. It's not sustainable for your body, unless you're one of those genetic freaks like Dean Karnazes.