Question on activity level

Options
Hi, I'm fairly new on MFP but logging faithfully since November. I am just wondering if I have my activity level set correctly. I set it at lightly active as I work as an Educational Assistant so on my feet most of the day. I try to get to the gym at least 3 times a week and
do videos on the days I can't. MFP set my calories around 1350 but some days I still feel hungry. I am very happy that the scale has actually gone below 170 which it hasn't been at in years. I am 5' 2" and started at 174 lbs. I set it to lose a lb a week.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're losing pretty close the expected pound-per-week. As long as that is correct, and assuming you are logging reasonably accurately, it would appear you have your activity level set just about right.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've found it hard to maintain focus when I'm hungry all the time. If that's true for you, it might be worthwhile to bump up your calories by 250 or 500. Slow but sustainable always trumps a faster loss.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    This might help you out. When I first started I put down sedentary but worked my way up to either lightly active But I also saw what my average was for about a week or 2 I mean for my calorie in take and I average between 1400-1450 plus this website saying I shouldnt go below 1420 for my weight now. So check this one out and see if it helps http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • kathyr_1961
    kathyr_1961 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I will play around with the calories and definitely check out the website too! I tried Weight Watchers twice with no success and this seems so much easier to me. I think I needed the visual for the calories.:smile:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I will play around with the calories and definitely check out the website too! I tried Weight Watchers twice with no success and this seems so much easier to me. I think I needed the visual for the calories.:smile:

I was successful with WW, but couldn't make it to the meetings after having my two kids. I've been even more successful here. I think WW underestimates the calories you need...and the iphone app + the website + all my good friends on here has kept me more motivated and on track than I've ever been before.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I've found it hard to maintain focus when I'm hungry all the time. If that's true for you, it might be worthwhile to bump up your calories by 250 or 500. Slow but sustainable always trumps a faster loss.

Did you read her stats? If she upped by 500 she'd be eating at maintenance.

OP eat a bit more if you're hungry, there's no fun in feeling like that. Also, try and eat more protein in your diet as it will help you feel fuller for longer.

Your diary is closed so no idea what you're actually eating atm
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You may also want to evaluate the types of foods you're eating. Protein, fiber, and healthy fats can help you feel fuller. Try drinking more water to fill up. Make sure you're sleeping enough. If you find you're losing faster than your goal, by all means eat more. If you do I would suggest upping your calories very slowly, 50 or 100 at a time.
  • kathyr_1961
    Options
    I have opened up my diary now. Protein is what is what I have trouble with. I can't eat eggs due to a food allergy but love peanut butter!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Your chicken is showing 0 protein. Peanut butter, per calorie isn't that great a source of protein. You'd probably do better with turkey bacon (for example)
  • kathyr_1961
    Options
    I hadn't noticed the 0 protein on the chicken. I went back and checked some other entries and their the same. I can definitely eat more turkey bacon! Thanks for your advise. New to this and never been great on nutrition but like it a lot better than Weight Watchers.