Evening workouts

Options
I'm planning to incorporate evening workouts into my routine 3x per week (since I get home from work around 5:30pm). Anybody out there have a good schedule they could share? Do you experience trouble with falling to sleep after a workout? Any helpful tips?

Thanks. I'm hoping to avoid a lot of trial & error ;-)

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Not sure how helpful it will be, but here it is......
    Mon - spin class (6pm)
    Tue - legs; if I don't have a staff meeting I'll also run immediately after work
    Wed - run and lift (chest/back)
    Thur - soccer
    Fri - legs and run (possible hill interval) or speedwork and plyos
    Sat - usually am run, afternoon lift (arms and shoulders)
    Sun - long run

I usually do take a rest day each week, just alternate which day it is. I teach, and in the winter I will bring my running clothes to work and go for a run immediately after the kids get on the bus, then go to the gym to lift. In the spring I start triathlon training and things get switched up a bit, some of the runs are replaced by biking. Other than when I run at work, most of my workouts are 5pm or later. I'm usually up until 10pm sometimes 11pm by the time I get home, shower, cook and eat dinner, then prepare for the next day of work. I don't have trouble falling asleep, except for soccer nights when I have a late game.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the gym after dinner, typically get home between 10:00-11:00. I start in the weight room, usually do 5-6 exercises which takes 45 minutes to an hour, then I hit the pool if it's not too busy, or the bike if the pool is stuffed, I keep my cardio to around 30 minutes. Once I get home I usually have a light snack and wind down before bed, if I'm asleep before midnight I'm probably sick.

Rigger
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I find that any exercise in the evening (whether walking a couple of miles or just cleaning house) actually keeps me awake, rather than putting me to sleep quickly. I don't mean like it keeps me up at night when I need to sleep...I just mean, it energizes me!

OTOH I don't do any super strenuous workouts, either.

Anyway I just wanted to say that for me it's best to come home, eat, and then exercise right after that. If I wait too late then I'm less likely to actually do it ;-) Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I lift in the evenings on Monday and Wednesday evenings and then on Saturday mornings...I can really only do two evenings a week at this point as I need to get home to the kiddos, etc and leaving my wife hanging for two nights is enough. I sleep like a baby myself. I'm also accustomed to eating rather late at night relatively speaking, so it doesn't bother me to get home from the gym at 7:30 and eat around 8:30 and be in bed by 10.

I generally don't have time to do cardio after my lifting sessions so I do cardio either in the morning or during lunch...I pretty much ride my bike for my cardiovascular fitness and cross-train with some other form of cardio on Saturday mornings.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    When I was working night shift, I would come home, do Insanity, eat an absurd amount of food and go straight to bed since I had literally 2 hours a day not already occupied by work or sleep. It never caused me any problems. Do whatever works for you.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    During the week I always work out first thing when I get home from work (about 5:45pm or so). Never has it been an issue as far as sleep goes.

The most important thing is to plan your workouts at a time that you know you make. Do what works for you and make it a routine.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I come home at 5:00 and do a workout video then make dinner. After that I usually walk on the treadmill for an hour so that gets me to 8:00 and bed by 9 or 10. I never have problems sleeping I prefer after work workouts to decrease stress from the day. Good luck :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to incorporate evening workouts into my routine 3x per week (since I get home from work around 5:30pm). Anybody out there have a good schedule they could share? Do you experience trouble with falling to sleep after a workout? Any helpful tips?

Thanks. I'm hoping to avoid a lot of trial & error ;-)

I run Monday, Tuesday, Friday evenings after work. I usually start at around 1830 and I'm out for between 60 and 90 minutes. Saturdays and Sundays I run in the forenoons.

I don't usually get to bed until about midnight and up again at about 0600 so never usually any issues with slipping off.

fwiw I struggle a little with forenoon runs as I'm still a bit stiff and generally find myself a bit less well fuelled.
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Very helpful!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I find I sleep better at night after a good workout....I just make sure I don't workout too close to my bedtime.
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options
    I would suggest to try and workout before you eat just because if you wait until after you wont have as much energy.