My heart went into my throat!

Options
mechanicmom
mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
I went out to eat this weekend with a friend. I was going to splurge but I was trying to keep the main dish down in calories, so I picked some thing off the WW side of the menu thinking I would be safe. (We were at Applebee's.) I ate half of the Fiesta Lime Chicken meal and thought I was being smart by bringing the rest of it home today. I didn't check the calories that day because the whole day had been a mess. My plan was to eat the leftovers for lunch today. I put it in the food diary, half of the meal. 645 calories! For HALF! What!!!!! It's 1285 calories for the full meal! I thought I was doing good! That didn't even include the appetizer and dessert I splurged with on Saturday! I feel like hitting my head on the wall!
Okay, I'm done. I am just shocked. I really thought it wasn't that bad. Now I am thinking I may just throw out my leftovers, or just eat 3/4 of the half which is still 482 cals. I think I may throw it out. It's not worth it. I just feel so sad about my weekend.

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    I went out to eat this weekend with a friend. I was going to splurge but I was trying to keep the main dish down in calories, so I picked some thing off the WW side of the menu thinking I would be safe. (We were at Applebee's.) I ate half of the Fiesta Lime Chicken meal and thought I was being smart by bringing the rest of it home today. I didn't check the calories that day because the whole day had been a mess. My plan was to eat the leftovers for lunch today. I put it in the food diary, half of the meal. 645 calories! For HALF! What!!!!! It's 1285 calories for the full meal! I thought I was doing good! That didn't even include the appetizer and dessert I splurged with on Saturday! I feel like hitting my head on the wall!
    Okay, I'm done. I am just shocked. I really thought it wasn't that bad. Now I am thinking I may just throw out my leftovers, or just eat 3/4 of the half which is still 482 cals. I think I may throw it out. It's not worth it. I just feel so sad about my weekend.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yikes. How is a 1000+calorie meal qualifying as a "healthy" choice?

They should be required to put the calorie counts, at least of things they're marketing as good choices right there on the menus. I bet there are items on the "non-healthy" parts of the menu that would have been better. This is pretty scary, actually.

Sorry. Today is a new day!:flowerforyou:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Wow that IS a lot!!
    Don't worry though, you realize the mistake and can now do something about it =o)
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Don't you hate it when that happens! Happens to me ALL the time! Amazing how before MFP I would have not eaten all of it...but had dessert to go with it! At least you tried..imagine if you ate the whole thing in one sitting!! Don't worry about it too much..it's just one day... what's important..and what I keep telling myself over and over again..is to not let it get to you and jump right back on the diet .. so many times before MFP I would mess up a meal..and then go off my diet completely because of it! And don't worry..I had a bad weekend too..it happens :)
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey Mechanicmom,

Its over. Throw the self-flagellation out instead and focus on the day. Your focus was on-target and the restaurant let you down by advertising something in an inappropriate way. Its a new day and you can choose to move forward without regret.

I promise you'll enjoy it more than worrying about something you can't change. Here's a thought. Don't ever eat at Applebee's again or if you do, let them know about the their labeling.

Have a great day.
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I didn't see the fiesta lime chicken on the WW menu so did you mistakenly order it off the regular menu? I'm kind of confused. Sorry on the mix up. Focus on today and keep on keeping on!
  • arrestaad
    arrestaad Posts: 11
    Options
    I like the Fiesta Lime Chicken, but it isn't on the Weight Watcher menu. I only know that since my wife and I were trying to figure out what to order when I went out with a friend for dinner at Applebee's. I did see that it was over 1200 calories. But I got the quesadilla burger off the regular menu and even had the fries for just over 800 calories.

You'll be fine, just get back on track and keep your focus on today!!! :happy:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I know this is a pain in the neck, but one thing I've done that helps this situation is to look up the calorie count online before I go out to eat. If you google Applebees calories, there are several sites that have their menu and nutrition information. Another thing I do is if I find out afterwards that something had too many calories, I do extra exercise to more or less "pay" for it.

Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I was reading in the papers this weekend that in Oregon, they are planning on brining a law where restaurants have to share calories of the dishes they serve. I bet half the people wouldnt eatt many of the dishes because of their high calorie content. I feel the public is being cheated in making healthier and better choices for themselves just because they dont know.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I was reading in the papers this weekend that in Oregon, they are planning on brining a law where restaurants have to share calories of the dishes they serve. I bet half the people wouldnt eatt many of the dishes because of their high calorie content. I feel the public is being cheated in making healthier and better choices for themselves just because they dont know.

I think that is a great idea! When I was in Manhattan a couple weeks ago, we went to eat at The Hard Rock Cafe....and they had the calorie count for EVERYTHING. I was amazed!!! And it helps you to see that what you THINK might be a healthier choice, really isn't. I ended up with the BBQ chicken plate with baked beans, cole slaw and a few fries. The whole thing was a little under 600 calories...and all the salads were around 1000 calories! Crazy!
  • 4Serendipity
    Options
    I eat off the WW menu at Applebee's when there, and they do have the nutritional information under each item on that part of the menu. If it isn't listed in your area...they are required to have nutritional pamphlets with the information on them to show you if you ask. Sorry for your mix-up...but in the big scheme of things...it's very small...just do an extra workout, or cut back a little in the following days to make up for it....but definitely don't stress over it...it will only make you want to eat out of stress? We all have those kinds of days....You're doing great.