Game meat?

Options
I'm still new to all this dieting, eating clean, and exercising, and recently I've been looking up the pros and cons of eating wild game. My boyfriend and I both hunt and we have three freezers full of deer and elk (sausage, roasts, steaks, ground meat, tenderloins, etc). My understanding is that this meat tends to be "better" in some senses that it is usually leaner and that it's basically organic since the animals aren't fed grains or hormones or anything. Game is basically all I've ever eaten, other than fish and some chicken (but usually we have duck, grouse, or other game birds). I've never eaten much beef or pork. Should I change this and be incorporating more pork or chicken or something into my diet? What's your opinion/understanding of game meats? And is there any ways I should be eating it that will make it better for me? I've always just substituted it in normal recipes us as chilli, spaghetti, etc.
Thanks!!

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    What? You have freezers full of game meats...that's terrific! Don't start buying industrial mass scale meat becuase of some goofy recommendation somewhere. You have available to you some very high quality, no hormone, naturally raised meat...you should stick to eating the game meats.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    What? You have freezers full of game meats...that's terrific! Don't start buying industrial mass scale meat becuase of some goofy recommendation somewhere. You have available to you some very high quality, no hormone, naturally raised meat...you should stick to eating the game meats.

^^^ this!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Stick with your healthy game meat....it's the best.

Shirley in Oregon
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, venison. I'm jealous! Haven't been able to get out & hunt in a couple of years, and all of the deer are scrawny in Texas besides. If you like game meat, eat it! As long as you're not eating a ton of organ meat (lots of vitamins but I've heard high in cholesterol... I love heart & liver though so I wouldn't blame you :laugh: ) I don't see any issue! Enjoy!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

^^^ this!

^^^YES^^^ remember portion size counts if weight loss or gain is your goal.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, venison. I'm jealous! Haven't been able to get out & hunt in a couple of years, and all of the deer are scrawny in Texas besides. If you like game meat, eat it! As long as you're not eating a ton of organ meat (lots of vitamins but I've heard high in cholesterol... I love heart & liver though so I wouldn't blame you :laugh: ) I don't see any issue! Enjoy!!

There is nothing wrong with eating organs, and the saturated fat and cholesterol are not harmful. It is healthy. Humans have been eating organ meats forever. The myth of saturated fat causing risk of heart disease has long been debunked. Here are a few papers published in medical journals.

- Siri-Tarino PW, et al. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2010.

- Mente A, et al. A systematic review of the evidence supporting a causal link between dietary factors and coronary heart disease. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2009.

- Dreon DM, et al. Change in dietary saturated fat intake is correlated with change in mass of large low-density-lipoprotein particles in men. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1998.
  • nicole595
    nicole595 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!! Thank you everyone, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! I love my game and don't want to give it up!!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with eating organs, and the saturated fat and cholesterol are not harmful. It is healthy. Humans have been eating organ meats forever. The myth of saturated fat causing risk of heart disease has long been debunked. Here are a few papers published in medical journals.

- Siri-Tarino PW, et al. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2010.

- Mente A, et al. A systematic review of the evidence supporting a causal link between dietary factors and coronary heart disease. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2009.

- Dreon DM, et al. Change in dietary saturated fat intake is correlated with change in mass of large low-density-lipoprotein particles in men. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1998.

*shrug* I believe it. I really do like organ meats, I think it was just one of those "country wisdom" things passed on to me not to eat them all the time (and we know how inaccurate a lot of that sort of information can be). I was once advised by a medical doctor to eat more liver to help with iron deficiency anemia; I think more people should at least try them, though I'd probably get sick of eating them all the time anyway, ha!