Any suggestions?

Options
For the last few months, my hip has been bothering me. It feels like there's a rubber band in my joint that's stretched and about to snap. Every now and then, it pops and hurts SO badly, like it had slipped out of the socket and popped itself back in. Then, yesterday, I fell off a chair while changing a light bulb, and landed with my arm hyper-extended over my bed. I felt a slight tear. Saw my doctor this morning, I am to avoid working out for the foreseeable future, and, of course, for both hemispheres of my body. :(

He did, however, say I could use the stationary bike. Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to keep this interesting?

Replies

• riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know there are training videos that people watch when spinning, to simulate riding in races or through different scenery. Or you could try spin classes, I've been to few where they set it up almost like a nightclub.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I know there are training videos that people watch when spinning, to simulate riding in races or through different scenery. Or you could try spin classes, I've been to few where they set it up almost like a nightclub.

My gym doesn't have spinning classes, but I will check out those videos. Thank you. :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my left hip as well ever since I gave birth to my second child. I found that it has improved a lot since I lost all this weight and got into shape.

On New Year's Eve I wiped out on ice when I took out my dog and fell right on my bad hip...so now it is really bothering me.

What has helped? My Chiropractor. I have to go once in once in a while to get adjusted. I went today as I was in really rough shape and it helped a lot. She told me not to use the incline on my treadmill when my hip is flared up as it makes it a lot worse...and I can verify this is true from my own experience. I am able to run on my treadmill again on a slight incline and it doesn't bother me although sometimes I feel like my hip is "stuck" and it have to do a running leap to get my hip to pop and then I am fine.

The other thing I would suggest is strength training. I noticed a huge difference when I started heavy lifting back in the summer.

For now I would try videos or spinning classes like others suggested. I myself hate stationary bikes but love biking outside..but that depends on the type of climate you live in.

Good luck!!
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Active release therapy from my chiropractor has helped me with injuries like this in the past and allowed me to continue training.

I'd go bonkers on a bike and only that!

Hope that helps
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Watch tv or DVDs. The first 5 min are the toughest.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Well.....I might download the C25K app and use that to spice up the workouts- on the run intervals you could either go faster or increase the resistance, whichever works for you.

Also, what about swimming? Perhaps not now but when your injuries are a little more stable.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    The swimming is probably doable. But I've actually been doing the C25K, and my doctor told me not to run or have any sort of elevation until the hip gets better. I suppose I could walk on the treadmill. It's better than nothing, right?

I think I will be making an appointment with a chiropractor soon. I had my hip x-rayed this morning, but I missed their call this afternoon. :( Really hoping we can get to the bottom of this.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The swimming is probably doable. But I've actually been doing the C25K, and my doctor told me not to run or have any sort of elevation until the hip gets better. I suppose I could walk on the treadmill. It's better than nothing, right?

I think I will be making an appointment with a chiropractor soon. I had my hip x-rayed this morning, but I missed their call this afternoon. :( Really hoping we can get to the bottom of this.

My apologies, I left out a crucial detail in my post. I was suggesting trying C25K on the stationary bike- using the intervals as guides to keep the biking more interesting. Or even Zombies run, something like that. Any of the apps that make running tolerable for non-native runners could work on a stationary bike, too.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    Oh! I get it. That's a great idea. Thank you!
  • ryfale
    ryfale Posts: 2
    Options
    I have MS and wondered what to do in the way of exercise, my balance and my one leg is weak? I am going to a physiotherapist in the next couple of months to set up an exercise program for me but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options

I always thought those classes should be more like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB5VYFcz-4g
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ryfale….I'd wait to see the therapist for sure, but while it's not the same issue, I have had knee surgery on my right leg and have been limited for months, plus I was in physical therapy for a while with back issues. First question, are you planning to workout at home or at a gym? With equipment or not?

If you go to a gym, I'd suggest doing some type of circuit so you'd get some strengthening in while doing some cardio. You probably need to do some strength exercises for your weaker side, too. You can alternate days and do floor exercises for your core. If you look up CORE workout routines, you should be able to find some simple to do exercises that will strengthen your core, legs, butt, abdomen, arms, etc. Look for things like pierformis stretch, bridging, swim/superman, basic planks, crunches, butt squeeze, hip flexors, etc.

RebekahR84, some of these things might benefit you as well. I did a lot of abdominal work and core work to strengthen the lower back. Also did a bunch of upper body work but avoided things like a shoulder/overhead press because that irritated my shoulder. Hope these help.
  • ryfale
    ryfale Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I know core work is really important for me especially with balance issues. I will start on some simple core exercises at home until I see the Physiotherapist, then I plan on going to the gym. I was going to the gym regularly for 8 months lost lots of weight felt great, then Ms got a little worse with my balance and I wasn't comfortable on the treadmill or elliptical. So I stopped going and now its time to get back to feeling great.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I use a turbo at home regularly and sometimes just spin watching a favourite TV show or music video, but for more interest and fitness I used Spinervals DVDs which are great.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What about stationary biking...not a lot to worry about with balance????