I have goals, now I need a community.

Options
Hey! This is my awkward attempt to introduce myself. I've always struggled with my weight and I'm trying to make a permanent change. I was always a fat kid, I got very skinny in high school, but it was because I had a very bad eating disorder (I think I may be lucky that I didn't die), and now... We'll, I've gained and lost weight a few times since then, but this time, newly engaged and planning some moderately athletic adventures for my future, I need to lose the healthy way and keep it off, while improving my overall fitness. I still struggle with disorders and obviously they bubble up whenever I try to lose weight, so I'm just looking for people who will support me and hold me accountable! I'll do the same for you! I've never been athletic and asthma coupled with a broken knee that healed a bit wrong doesn't help, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I can do this. My mom's athletic, so I'm trying to stay inspired by her. She's 50 and running marathons and recently climbed Mt Kiliminjaro, so what excuse do I have? Oh! Last thing. I'm 6 feet tall, which doesn't really matter but it's weird for a girl and it affects my totals, so I thought I would share. I hope we can work together towards our goals!

Replies

• djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    You have come to the right place. My life has changed for the better since I found this place in Nov, for the better in every way. I will help you if you like.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    First things first: let us take a moment to appreciate how awesome you are for beating that eating disorder! :drinker: Cheers to that! Feel free to message me if you feel the disorder trying to raise its ugly little needy head.

You know that you have my full support, my dear, so whatever I can do. My advice for the asthma is make sure you're taking your preventative EVERY DAY. *EVERY DAY*. Even the ones you don't think you need it for - it's surprising the amount of lung capacity it frees up.

I have a badly (oh so very badly) healed broken ankle, so I feel you with the knee! Try low impact exercises (swimming/stationary bikes etc) over things like running/jogging at first. Do exercises specifically designed to strengthen the area or a flare of your injury may hold you back.

Lastly, wake up every morning and say "Here I am, world! Another day to become the best me I can be" and imagine yourself doing something you've always wanted to do. For me, it's hiking the Overland Track in Tasmania. It makes me wake up with a huge smile and reminds me why I'm doing this. =):flowerforyou:
  • odjit
    odjit Posts: 58
    Options
    Haha yes! I always wanted to be Lara Croft and I'm not letting myself forget it! ... No matter how unrealistic it is.
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I found this site by accident to be honest and after looking around it a bit I decided to join. Everyone calls me Jade, It's a nick name that stuck. I have struggled with my weight my whole lift but to be perfectly honest I have never been depressed about it as I am now. The reason is I have never weighed as much as I do now and I have never had so much trouble with it. Even my doctors are baffled. I have always been overweight but was happy with how I was. With how I am now I'm defiantly not happy. In the past I have tried many things to loose extra weight, but nothing works for long. Like my body says ok that's enough of that. It's very frustrating, and that's probably why I accepted myself as I was. Because there was no other way. But now......well this is getting out of hand. ridiculous even. So I thought maybe I'll try one more time before I go completely insane over it all.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Join us, Jade! This community is amazing. If you get yourself a good friend base, and are consistent and honest in your food and exercise diaries, you WILL lose weight. If not, we'll work together to figure out what works for you! For me, it's low carb, low cal and high protein (any carbs are eaten in the morning) with a cheat day where I eat some carbs.

I get what you mean about the doctors being baffled. I've shown my doctors what I eat and do and have had this conversation: "huh... huh..... Uh, you didn't leave ANYTHING off, right?" "No." "Well, you should be losing weight, not gaining." "I know."

Don't go insane, hon. We've got your back!
  • DJHudgins
    DJHudgins Posts: 172
    Options
    Shoot me a friend request :). I will be happy to help keep you motivated and always looking to make new friends! As a matter of fact, anyone who see this shoot me one and I will happily accept :)
  • voodoocupcake
    voodoocupcake Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow! It's wonderful that you have such ambition and hope for the future! I truly hope that you reach your goals. Losing weight after recovering from an eating disorder can be very tricky. They're never really cured. They just go into remission. I've been struggling with one myself for quite some time and I'm here to make sure I eat enough. If you ever need to talk to someone when those nasty little voices start up, I'd be happy to listen and give you what encouragement I can.
  • jaded33jade
    jaded33jade Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks Coolchick207. Yeah even my doctor is confused and scratching his head. I have had so many test it's not funny anymore. I have tried so many things and they only work for a little while. .. I'm used to writing down what I eat and when I exercise that's normal for me. Unfortunately, I have to find new exercises that I can do... My main things was swimming and winter kinda spoiled that for me lol the other was a exercise bike that seems to be giving my knee some trouble.... So it just got pushed out of the way for a bit. I have an exercise ball I just need to look up some exercises I'm able to do on it for the winter. Sorry sometime I tend to ramble.....I'm glad to join yall. I could use the help and encouragement.