Confused - lifting question - for waistline

Options
Do forgive this question that's probably a no-brainer to some, but I'd like to be enlightened please, on the subject of lifting.

Basically - I understand how lifting works, you have your free weights, and at the gym you have the machines to work with, for arms, legs, backs, etc.

What I want to know is - what kind of lifting sculpts the waist? I've read so many topics here on MFP about inches people lost when they started lifting, and some have lost huge amounts off their waistlines - but how did they do it?

I just can't seem to figure out what lifting exercises are there for the waist - or is it a natural result of lifting everywhere else?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mwhit148
    mwhit148 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is really no specific "lifting" exercise for the waist. First and foremost, proper diet is key for slimming the waistline. Second, compound exercises and core exercises are key. With weights, I do deadlifts and squats. I use light weights and moderate reps so I can focus on proper form. I also do exercises like hyperextensions for the lower back. Third, like you already said, it is a natural result of lifting everywhere else. Simply put, the fat moves out as the muscle moves in. So it's important to focus on working all muscle groups as opposed to trying to focus on one "problem" area. Good luck!
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it makes more sense now :) I always wondered how people achieve this, and it's good to know that overall exercise will have effect.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to target that area for weights or other work, it's just the abs (obliques on the sides in front and back). There are isolated lifts for all the abs, but most folks say they aren't necessary.

I do do them, because I can't do most compound lifts above the hips (due to a medical problem). I'm not athletic enough to have good abs from just daily life :)