Busy Schedule: Can't snack in between

Options
I'm in college and I have a pretty hectic schedule.

TUESDAY/FRIDAYS

I wake up at 6:30AM, drink a glass of water before eating breakfast
My breakfast is usually composed of quinoa/oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and 3-5oz chicken breast/other meat protein.

I have class from 9AM-1:30PM and I can't eat during class. So I eat my lunch from my only 1.5hr break of the day which is from 1:30-3PM

I have class again from 3-6PM and eat dinner when I get home.

I rarely have the opportunity to snack a few bites of my apple or some pieces from my trailmix.

I want to be able to do the 4-5 meals/day within 2-3 hours/meal thing but because of my schedule, it's kinda hard. I get hungry within the day and feel deprived (well not so much but I hope you get my point).

And yes I drink a lot of water, especially when I need to suppress my hunger in class.

Replies

• mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would be helpful to carry a calorie-dense snack, like those little circles of cheese encased in wax. If you can pop one in your mouth in class, or during a bathroom break, that would give you some fat and protein in a single bite. I used to have a class that the teacher decided should be doubled up. I ended up having to give myself a bathroom break regularly. Maybe you'll need to do something similar. If you are allowed a "coffee" make it a meal replacement shake. Good luck!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you need to eat 4-5 meals a day, unless there's a medical reason to do so. Lots here have lost weight eating 2 big meals a day with a bit of snacking.

I, myself, have lost all the weight I've lost eating breakfast and lunch, with a small snack after work. Eat when you can. Don't focus on how many meals you should be eating, focus on making sure it fits your macros.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to eat more regularly?

I'd focus on protein and fat with a heap of vegies (lower calorie density, more of them!). The protein and fat, along with fibre in the vegies will keep you satisfied longer between meals. I generally have 3-4 meals a day (I count dinner and dessert as one, so 3 meals) and have no issues lasting hours between!
  • pinklotusblossom
    Options
    You might want to try making a wrap sandwich (maybe a chicken salad made with dried cranberries, parsley, celery, salt, pepper, and Greek yogurt) to take to school. Eat half at 1:30, the other half at 2:45 so that you go into class full but not stuffed.

Do the same with breakfast. Eat your regular breakfast (add some fruit to your oatmeal) at your usual time, then take along bananas or apples and a peanut butter sandwich. Eat those a few minutes before your morning class starts.

I really applaud the fact that you eat non-traditional breakfasts!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to snack. It really doesn't matter in the long run. Just try and have a heavier lunch.
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    As others have said, you don't need to snack to lose weight and maintain muscle. Just eat more at each of your three main meals.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutely forbidden from bringing food to class? I would find this hard to believe. There's plenty of dry snacks you could carry with you. Or maybe eat a snack right before class to carry you through. Of course there's no reason that you have to snack but it does help if you get really hungry between breakfast and lunch.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I always carry around fruit and almonds either in my car or my purse. you can chow them down pretty quick and they are chock full of healthy nutrition