return to daily running, lifting = i hate my scale

Options
I've started back faithfully running and lifting, and I feel great. Tell me to keep running and ignore my scale for another week, please. I've had a good calorie deficit all week, and I don't want to check in because I'm *heavier* than I was last week. Grr ...

Replies

• woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Definitely ignore the scale, it really doesn't tell you much of anything.

Tell yourself to wait a month, keep on doing what you are doing... if at the end of the month you feel better ask yourself if you even need to weigh yourself. It's all about how good you feel, not your relationship with gravity.
  • Amandainyaface
    Options
    Ignore the scale. The scale can only tell you so much, 'cause will it tell you when you put on a pound of muscle? nope
    Will it tell you when you lose an inch around your waist? nope
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The only thing my scale tells me is if Earth's gravity has increased.

Just kidding, I got rid of mine after it started to malfunction and am now very happy with just a measuring tape!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Ignore the scale on a weekly basis, it's the long term numbers that matter or perhaps not if you are lifting enough that keeps your weight the same or it may go up. Keep track of your measurements regularly and take note of how your clothes fit.

I put on some weight over the holidays but some of it was water retention and some of it was excess food! I'm not worried though because it's coming off. I'm no longer afraid of what the scale says.
  • mowree
    mowree Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The scale will NEVER reward you when you NEED it. That always happens as a surprise! I'm in the same boat as you! Trying to start over.

Feel free to add me!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    When you start a new exercise routine, or increase the intensity, it's normal for your muscles to retain water as they heal themselves.
    Ignore the scale. Enjoy the running!!! Keep at it. Quick results usually do not last long term. Stay consistent and be patient. It will happen!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Oh I agree. MY scale hates me for days after lifting but if i take a gym week off and still watch my food the scale loves me and drops. It is the water stored in your muscles not actual "Fat" weight so I take it with a grain of salt and just keep going.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm totally over the scale and am just doing body fat testing once per month.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Just ignore the scale initially. Mine tells me I've gained a pound when I've been working out faithfully and tracking everything then tells me I've lost 1.5 pounds overnight.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and pictures frequently (~1x per week), step on the scale about once a month.

I gain about 3lbs after my squat and deadlift days when I first get back into things. All water weight for repair :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Pursue running and lifting goals....use the scale sparingly and rely more on measurements. The scale only tells so much of the story. I'm 5'5" and 140, but my body fat is only about 20.5-21% which isn't horrible. But if I just looked at the scale alone, I'd be kinda bummed. I have run a marathon and take age group awards in various length shorter runs. I run in pursuit of goals, not so the scale and I get along better.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You guys are great, and this is just what I needed! Thank you!