40lbs in 4 months for sisters wedding need mentor plz

Options
My sister is getting married in 4 months, I only just fit in my dress.
My goal is to lose 40lbs or as close to as possible.

I am 100lbs over weight.

I need help to stay motivated and with exercises to do.

Thank you for your help.

Replies

• alstroemerialover
    Options
    Hi, nice to meet you. I noticed we have roughly the same goal, lose 40 lbs in 4 months. For me it's my own wedding that I've got to lose weight for. I'm 75 lbs overweight. I'm doing Jillian Michaels workout dvds, they are really hard at first but you can modify and stick to the easier levels. Right now a few of the really good ones are only $3.00 each on amazon. I use an elliptical machine too because it's easier on my knees than a treadmill. Can't say I can mentor because I'm just starting too, but we can inspire each other.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Please excuse any typos, I'm on my phone.

Since you have 100lbs overall to lose, you may be able to achieve a 40lb loss in 4 months. But it could be too aggressive the closer you get.
    Also you may not lose weight every week so that will affect your goal.

Start resistance training now to retain lean body mass. And plus, even if you dont lose the 40lbs, with progressive resistance training, it can look like you did.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Good luck to both of you. I would join one of the groups for motivation and support. Wish you both well!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    At your weight, a weight loss of 2 lbs per week is healthy, and would probably get you close to your goal. But it is going to take work. You need to log your food consistently and honestly. As for exercise, cardio and lift weights. If you are looking for people to give you advice on actual exercises to do, you're going to need to provide some information on what resources you have available to you.
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    10lbs/month is a great and reasonable goal. I see so many that want to lose 40lbs in a month...not possible unless you chop of a leg. The Jillian Michaels is a great way to start just like alstroemerial said. Another great way that is pretty easy on the knees is walking at a quicker pace for at least 30 minutes. I suggest 45 - 60 minutes of walking if possible. For me right now walking outside is not the best option. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be -15F and -50F on Monday...yay Northern Wisconsin winters.

The other half besides increasing your activity level is to eat healthy. Keeping track of what you eat is super easy on here. This is by far my favorite site to use for calorie tracking. For exercise tracking I use Fitbit. It is not necessary to get one but I recommend it. It really helps fine tune your goals. If I walk or work a little more then I normally do in a day Fitbit shows me that and then I don't feel so bad having a beer. But I digress.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I love helping people achieve their goals! :smile:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Please excuse any typos, I'm on my phone.

Since you have 100lbs overall to lose, you may be able to achieve a 40lb loss in 4 months. But it could be too aggressive the closer you get.
    Also you may not lose weight every week so that will affect your goal.

Start resistance training now to retain lean body mass. And plus, even if you dont lose the 40lbs, with progressive resistance training, it can look like you did.
    Please, *please* take this advice to heart, OP! Losing weight that rapidly is doable at your starting weight, but without the progressive resistance training, you will lose a lot of muscle mass, which means you will need to eat fewer calories to maintain your weight when you reach your goal. Obviously this will make maintaining the loss successfully that much harder than it already is! Don't set yourself up for failure. And enjoy your sister's wedding!
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not an easy task you are setting up for. To be honest I wish you had a little more time since it takes 21 days to make something a habit and when you are in a time crunch for an event you might not develop the habits to make the full goal of getting off all the extra weight so the yo-yo cycle begins. But that said, you do have a motivator and I hope we can all help you.

First off, diet wise, where are you... over-eating, under-eating, binge eating, junk food centered? Do you have any weakness foods that you wouldn't be able to portion control? Do you have allergies that would impact certain diet plans or recipes? Do you have a food scale?

Exercise wise... do you have a gym membership or access to any equipment? Could you afford some DVDs or even get them at the library? Do you have any conditions (e.g. asthma) that would make something like starting a couch to 5k (c25k) program out? Also starting stats would be helpful.

Encouragement wise.... take before pictures, seriously. And take measurements. I weigh in 1x a week only and I measure every 2 weeks so seeing that difference on my charting helps a lot. As of right now I'm 20# down in 2 months. I did zero working out other then 2 hikes my first month and just started watching calories. I wasn't using my food scale all the time so chances are I was over. I started using it full time and then added in body-weight exercises and some DVD stuff 2nd month. I rejoined the gym and am pushing myself there as well now that I'm into my 3rd month.. I made small changes so I knew I wouldn't get frustrated and give up.
  • keeley1981
    keeley1981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you. i am going to buy a UP by Jawbone today. Hoping it will help me stay on track a bit more.
  • keeley1981
    keeley1981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a junk food eater, i love chocolate.
    I work out at home, i have a trendmill, bike and weight machine.
    I have no allergies but i do have sleep apena

thank you
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Thank you. i am going to buy a UP by Jawbone today. Hoping it will help me stay on track a bit more.

Buy a digital food scale, too. :wink:
  • Nadia222222
    Nadia222222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I Would love to have a mentor too. I need to lose at least 40 lbs or more. I am 197 would like to get down to 110 or 112.