Logging Weight Lifting Sessions

Options
How do people log their weight training sessions? Do you really break everything down by exercise, set, rep, and weight in your diary? And how does MFP accurately count calorie burn based on this?

I haven't logged any of my training sessions because I fear it would take far too long for what would be, at best, questionable calorie results. But I'm curious as to others experiences ...

Thanks!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    I log it while resting between sets. I do splits and otherwise can't remember what weight I used last time, or when my last leg day was. MFP gives 0 calorie burn for strength training.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There's a Strength Training option within the Cardio section for logging. Most people tend to use that if simply wanting a rough estimate of calories burned.
    If you want to keep an accurate record of what weights are lifted in what exercises, there's plenty of apps for mobile phones that will do just that, Jetfit and Fitocracy being two of more popular ones.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I take a binder to the gym and just track it manually, it helps me to keep an eye on my progress and know what I need to work on before I get there.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Tracking my lifts is a big part of why I use MFP. I don't always log food, but I log weights/sets/reps religiously. I have that info in MFP going back a year so I know what my progress has been. I don't mind how long it takes to do, having the record I can look up at any time is important.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use a completely different log for weight training since MFP doesn't give any calorie credit anyway. The only weight training thing I log here is if I do some circuit training (like tabata or cardio circuits with weights). Otherwise I just log my lifts in an electronic journal that I can bring with me to the gym.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I use Fitocracy to log weight training. It's dramatically superior. Then I just enter in a timed cardio "strength training" entry here for a couple hundred calories.
  • smand2000
    Options
    Thanks .... I log my sessions with evernote, and was just wondering whether it would be worthwile to copy all of that info into mfp. Sounds like it's not. Like the idea of just doing a rough lowball calorie burn on lifting days. I haven't been recording anything, and with pretty low calorie goal already, I should probably make sure I eat back enough calories. Thanks!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    When you log a session as cardio to get a rough calorie burn, how do you count the time? I'm doing SL5x5 and still pretty early so I'm pretty sure I spend more time on rest between sets than actual lifting. Do you calculate out the time actually lifting (not including the 90 sec to 3 min rest in between sets) or just start to end of workout?