How to Figure out Calories Burned

Options
Hey,

For the most part I track my calories burned from cardio. I have a running watch and a Garmin Fit app on my phone that I use for walking. So, I don't have to think about my Calories.

When it comes to lifting weights, I don't know how to calculate that. I would like to so I can make sure I am eating enough. I don't like being hungry.

That's also another reason I am so finicky with this site. Granted, I always come back, but I would like to add in my weights. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank - You
Crampt

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you lift weights for 45 minutes, figure out how far you can run for 45 minutes, figure out how many calories that burns (see below), then divide by 6. That'll at least put you in the right ballpark.

net calories burned running = 0.63 * bodyweight in pounds * miles run
  • crampt
    crampt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Even if you are doing different movements?

Say ,I am doing arms and I have a few different exercises for those, and then I work my back with a few different exercises for those as well, that doesn't matter? It is just the length of time I spend lifting? Even if I switch the weight of my dumbbell?
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    A Heart Rate device ( chest strap and watch) calculations are based on some personal data and your active heart rate throughout your activity, wear one of these throughout your workout and log the results... Your heart rate will increase while exerting effort, I personally wouldn't do without one...
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    personally, as cals burned lifting are not that signifigant, i just count them as bonus cals and dont include them in my daily goal. The purpose of weight lifting is muscle building not weight loss afterall.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    As cals burned lifting are not that signifigant, i just count them as bonus cals and dont include them in my daily goal.
    ^^^This. Weight loss just takes a whole lot of trial & error. Don't log your lifting. For a few weeks, eat back all your cardio calories. If you lose, great. Keep doing what you've been doing. If you plateau (or gain), only eat back a portion of your cardio calories.

No one can give you a "magic number" of calories to eat & lose weight. Everybody's different, and the calorie counts & burns are only estimates. It takes a while to find what works for you.

Edited to add that if you're too hungry, you should reduce your weight loss goal. With only 8 lbs. to lose, you should be set to lose .5lb per week.
  • crparada
    Options
    Personally I use a heart rate monitor to get an accurate count of calories burned, I'd recommend that.

If you can't get one, I've found this calculator to be fairly accurate. I workout for about 60 minutes a session spending between 650 and 750 depending on resting time, muscule group (leg day beats me up). The calculator estimates 637 calories for an hour using "Lifting weights - vigorous"

http://www.healthstatus.com/perl/calculator.cgi

I hope it helps.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    As stated a few times above, a HR monitor is the best way. I have a MIO Alpha wrist monitor that I pair with Digifit, an app on my iPhone. I leave it on the entire workout, and it gives an accurate calorie count, as well as other useful stats.
  • crampt
    crampt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I might look into the MIO Alpha thing.

Thanks Again, Everyone