Intermitten Fasting - 5:2 diet? Anyone doing this?

Options
Hi,

Had a bad year last year and put on all the weight that I lost doing the Atkins (Keto) diet Jan last year.
Gave up Keto as found was having chest pains. Also left a large dent in my wallet.

Has anyone here tried the 5:2 diet?
One of my friends swears by it but I have my concerns.

Thanks

Replies

• Maegenrdy2bfit
    Maegenrdy2bfit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As you will find on most all success stories there is no dite that works well permanent any way it takes a lifestyle change hard work and dedication (:
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Check out the 5:2 diet groups on MFP by searching, there you will find all the help you need on this way of life/eating - it works and it is easy!
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Agree with Lynne. It has worked great for me. I've been doing it since I started on MFP. It is more of a lifestyle change and not a temporary diet. I really like it and find it's been one of the easiest plans to stick with and follow. The two message boards on MFP about it are really good for info. You can search for 5:2 and 5-2.
  • hannahbanana_1983
    Options
    I am trying intermittent fasting, but not the 5:2, I don't know what it's called but it's where you only eat for, say 6 hours a day (for me, skipping breakfast). Apparently works great but I haven't been doing it long enough to tell if it's working for me.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, IF is not a diet. It's a schedule. You still consume your daily calories (less your deficit) within a time window throughout the day, week, etc.

There are those that eat 3-6 times per day, that would be a schedule too, not a diet.

IF works for me on a 16:8 schedule or higher.

Eating 3-6 times a day didn't.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am trying intermittent fasting, but not the 5:2, I don't know what it's called but it's where you only eat for, say 6 hours a day (for me, skipping breakfast). Apparently works great but I haven't been doing it long enough to tell if it's working for me.

If your eating within a 6 hour window, that would be a 18:6 schedule.
  • hannahbanana_1983
    Options
    Oh I see, 18 hours fasting, 6 eating. Gotcha. I really thought I would be hungry in the morning, but I really haven't been. I do drink coffee during the fasting though, and drinking plenty of water.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I've started doing IF, only since the first of the year, and thus far, I like it. I haven't fasted as perfectly as I'd like, so there's room for improvement. I think this is something I can maintain, which is the key to lasting weight loss. :)
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was doing it before I researched it. I'm so busy I routinely find myself eating after 16-20 hours of fasting (little-to-no-hunger)

It works (if you're wondering) but if your life is stressful I wouldn't recommend it due to the stress causing massive cravings during the fasting period
  • HaniaW
    HaniaW Posts: 1
    Options
    Skipping breakfast its never a good idea, your metabolism need a jump start after night of fasting, it might work for a short time but it will comeback to haunt you.
  • murray2104
    Options
    <----18/6
    different strokes for different folks. I am curious about the evidence of skipping breakfast "coming back to haunt you" though, or are you just regurgitating what you've been told. Fasting is widely accepted in different cultures, some sports athletes, and many who's lifestyle is different than your own. It doesnt make it anymore wrong of a decision than your decision to eat breakfast everyday.
  • cheryl2926
    cheryl2926 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    HI
    I understand your concerns.. I am doing the Venus Factor program.. it starts with a 5:2 but it switches around... It is worth checking out if you have never read it before... There is a lot of support in the VI community and I am finding the workouts to be on spot

good luck
    cheryl
  • cheryl2926
    cheryl2926 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There is much more information out there than you think and fasting is safe natural and Biblical
  • suekelso1
    Options
    I did the 5:2 this summer and was losing weight and inches, but I found it to be really hard. I didn't sleep well on the 500 cal days. I'm going on a cruise next month so I am doing it again until then. On my eating days though, I am going to stay at 1200-1300 cal and hope to lose a bit more. I figure for a short period, it should be ok. And on my 500 cal days, I'll take a benydryl to help me sleep.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did the 5:2 this summer and was losing weight and inches, but I found it to be really hard. I didn't sleep well on the 500 cal days. I'm going on a cruise next month so I am doing it again until then. On my eating days though, I am going to stay at 1200-1300 cal and hope to lose a bit more. I figure for a short period, it should be ok. And on my 500 cal days, I'll take a benydryl to help me sleep.

This really is not how 5:2 works - 1200/1300 is way too low on an eating day. The whole thing about 5;2 is to eat normally on non fast days and to restrict your calories to 500 on fast days. Done properly it works like a dream.
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i just started.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting makes dropping weight so much easier. I fast all day (20hrs-23hrs) and consume my daily caloric allowance in 1-2 meals in the evening. The first few days feel a bit odd but stick with it and it becomes easy
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    HaniaW wrote: »
    Skipping breakfast its never a good idea, your metabolism need a jump start after night of fasting, it might work for a short time but it will comeback to haunt you.

BS.