when did losing weight become difficult?

Options
I'm 34 years old. I lost 70 lbs with a combination of mononucleosis and weight watchers and I've kept it off for the last 10 years without much effort. I still weigh in weekly and whenever I go over my happy weight I would diet for a week or two and drop 7-10 lbs. I haven't had to diet for the past two years or so, but a combination of job change, and going back to school added about 10 lbs over the last year, so when I started my winter break from school I thought it would be a good time to knock those lbs off. I've been running 4-5 miles a day and eating at or under my calorie goal 6/7 days a week. Today marked the end of week 4 of this routine and the weight is coming off, but not nearly as fast as it used to. I've dropped 7.8lbs I know for some people this would be good progress, but for me this is very slow weight loss. I know metabolism slows as you age, but it's frustrating that what I used to do in a week or 2 now takes 2-3 times longer.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You're right, I would give anything to lose 2 lbs. a week. It took me a year to lose 20.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    losing weight stopped being difficult when i stopped focusing on aesthetic goals, and started focusing on performance goals. instead of looking thinner, i started wanting to be faster and stronger and more agile. thats when losing weight became easier for me.

i felt pretty awesome dropping my sprint triathlon time by a minute in three months, and squatting my body weight, and increasing my ability to boulder more difficult problems. when you start getting better, you start feeling better.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    When I hit my 50th Birthday
  • KarenMichaels123
    Options
    I guess that age does affect weight issues. I have also read that same old routine doesn't have the same effect after certain period of time, because the body gets used to it and resists losing the weight, so to speak. Maybe a change in exercise routine would help. Like, instead of jogging, go for a swimming, or hiking, or cycling. You can find other ideas here on the forum as well as on other weight loss sites or blogs (hiit blog is awesome). Good luck!
  • granolagirl
    granolagirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In my late 30's!! :/
    Before that I used to drop 10-12 lbs very quickly by watching calories and just a little exercise. Now, I have to watch EVERY bite carefully and exercise TWICE as much to lose.

Have to keep reminding myself that slow and steady wins the race!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    losing weight stopped being difficult when i stopped focusing on aesthetic goals, and started focusing on performance goals. instead of looking thinner, i started wanting to be faster and stronger and more agile. thats when losing weight became easier for me.

i felt pretty awesome dropping my sprint triathlon time by a minute in three months, and squatting my body weight, and increasing my ability to boulder more difficult problems. when you start getting better, you start feeling better.

This man speaks the truth!

Just focus on being awesome and keeping a moderate deficit and fat loss will be a pleasurable side-effect.
  • ColoradoCountryGal
    Options
    Thanksgiving Day ;)
  • t73reed
    t73reed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say this: the older you get the harder it gets. I hit 40 last January and just figured I could drop my 40 pound weight gain like that. Ummmm, it's been 8 months and I've managed to lose 16. I'm also a woman which is a double whammy....so sorry, but the older you get the harder it gets...especially when you factor of life's complications as well. You are doing great in my opinion...just keep at it and be Patient!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's probably the amount of time you had the weight. Before it was probably mostly water weight. What you're losing now is actual fat.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It was explained to me this way too:

When you lose weight you lose primarily fat and some muscle (as long as you are doing it healthy)
    When you gain weight back, it comes back in all fat
    You do that multiple times and it makes it harder to lose the weight because you have less muscle

more muscle burns more weight (and more fat )

welcome back =)