Name My Future Kids...!

Options
Okay. So, I recently got engaged (cue applause.) While the wedding would be, at this point, probably two-and-a-half years out from now, so we're not really into the logistics of THAT particular mess yet, we've been talking about last names.

I don't want to take his (it's not terrible, but it would sound ridiculous with my first or first+middle) and he really doesn't care if I take his name or not. We would both keep our own names, but he says he wouldn't feel right if/when we have kids and they get his last name alone instead of mine. Neither of use are terribly fond of hyphenation.

One thing we thought of was to take either his mother's or my mother's maiden name as our last name. They're both nice-sounding Irish names, and still have "family significance" so it wouldn't just be picking something random.

Has anyone had a similar difficulty figuring out married names? Wanna name my future kids? Wanna name me? How'd you figure things out?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Please name them something trendy so they can be properly dated and chastised by HR for a job application...
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "Dotcom" goes well with anything. Hannah Dotcom, Jared Dotcom, whatever.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Inky, Boo and Mo.
    Could always go for Thing1 and Thing2 if you have twins.
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be so original here..... SPARTA!!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Soda
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I've met a number of people who have their mother's maiden name as their middle name.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    I wanted name my daughter Superfly Dangerzone, but I got overruled. When we got married, my wife took my last name, but now legally has 2 middle names, with the second being her maiden name. Our daughter has my last name.
  • Tigerman999
    Options
    Voltron
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Superfly dangerzone... I like that!
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Father Lanigan works for Irish families.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    Superfly dangerzone... I like that!

So did I. Unfortunately, the rest of the family (including her mother) were not as enthusiastic about the name as I was. ;)
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Seven
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Beyonce.
    Male, female, last or first name.