Grrrrr that last 10lbs!!!

Options
Well actually its the last 9! But who"s counting??? Me!!!!

I now weigh 149lbs, I am 5"3 and desperate to post my "reached my goal post" with photos etc...... like all the others that have inspired me.

I am aiming for 140lbs

I currently have my calorie goals set at 1500kcals (after losing most of the weight at 1750kcals per day) My BF % is 33.6.

I run, about 2-3 times a week and once a week I row for 40 mins (a whole episode of grey's anatomy) although I have fallen off the wagon slightly over the last 2 weeks.

I know that the last few pounds are the hardest to lose, but any ideas for how I can shake it up a bit, ideally I would like to do more exercise as I don't want to eat any less (I do believe in eating more!!) but I am not sure I have the time to fit that in, work full time +, 3 kids etc.....

Replies

• KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar place! Long story short, I've put on almost 8lbs after hitting 145lbs two years ago, and I'm still trying to reach 140!

I lost most of my weight power-walking, but I recently took up weight lifting, after someone recommended it to me, and I'm seeing some (slow) results, not on the scale, but in the mirror and my jeans! I fit into all my skinny jeans better and am working on being able to wear my yellow cocktail dress again. :wink:

Also, I do believe in eating. I'm currently maintaining (holidays, gotta eat, no dieting for me!) on 1850-2000 calories, and lifting heavy 3x a week.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm at the last 10 as well. I'm not really changing anything, just trying to log accurately.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've got about 12-13 more to lose. I'm 5'5" at 151+ and my goal is 139. I started at 198 on May 2, 2013.

I run for exercise, I'm starting half marathon training soon.

I've been dating someone and making terrible food choices, I haven't gained any weight, so I'm hopeful that getting back to nutritious eating will kick start my last few pounds.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    i gained back my "last ten" (on purpose) and now I'm losing it again, and I plan to do this many more times, so I feel you.

have you tried eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks, then starting up again?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be too hard honestly, if you're 5'3", 140 lbs is still pretty much on the high normal end of healthy.

Your body fat is pretty high so your metabolism is probably pretty slow for your weight. I'd probably start some weight lifting. And make sure you weigh everything you eat so you don't overeat.
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm 5ft 4, female, 43 yo, 129 lbs. My goal is just 4 lbs away and YES it is harder to lose now. But I AM losing - 0.2 lbs here, 0.6 lbs there! Tedious, but inevitable I guess. I just need to be patient.
  • sarzo14
    sarzo14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm at the last 7 pounds. Currently 167.3lbs (75.9kg as of today, took me 2 weeks to get from 76something kg to under 76), and I want to get to 160lbs (which is 72.5kg).
    I know this last few pounds will take longer to lose. I've already lost a little more than 40 pounds (started at 209lbs) since May. Some people say it's to fast but it's about 1,5lbs a week. Some times I lost more, sometimes nothing.
    I want to get under 160 (159.9 will be fine :D) till summer. That's another 6-7months and I need to lose way less than I did in the past 6-7 months.
    When I started I ate abou 1400cals, but I increased it to about 1600 hal way trough and I now try to stay under 1800. I know it's weird and I need less caories now that I lost weight but 1400 was just to little for me and I know that now. I'm 21 years old, and 5'10". I'm a student so my life is sendetary and I logg my exercise when I do it. I do eat more if I work out.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I know your frustration. I'm working on those last 8lbs, again!
    Suggestions:
    1. If you are not already lifting weights, start lifting. This is the best suggestion I could give you!
    2. If you are not doing so already, get a kitchen scale and weigh everything. When you only have a little left to lose, the margin for error is extremely small. You'd be surprised how off your measurements can be using measuring cups. Eyeballing is even worse.
    3. Try adding in something new - swim, bike, hike, kickbox.
    4. If you love to run, that's great. I run too! But change up your runs. Do some shorter distance at a quicker pace, and longer distance at a slower pace. Include some speed intervals and hill repeats. (These are killer, but they work wonders).

Good luck, and keep at it!
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The last 10 pounds are definitely the hardest. I am 5'4 1/2" and honestly it took me almost four months to go from 135 to 125. I was so excited to finally hit my GW since it took forever to get there but once I reached it I realized that I needed to lose more so I adjusted my new goal weight to between 116-118, which wil probably take me another four months!!!
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    I would change up your work outs. Try HIIT for your runs instead of running at a steady pace. I am doing speed intervals and hill intervals once a week each. I would add strength training too. You can do it while watching tv. I've recently started some of Jillian Michael work outs available on YouTube or amazon prime and that's helped some.

I am completely sympathetic. I have gained and lost these same 10 lbs countless number of times. When you are short like us it's very hard. For me the goal is always 1/2 lb. a week. Anything more than that is impossible. The holidays are hard. If you've you've managed to maintain without gaining give yourself a pat on the back.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose 10 lbs as well. I'm 147 and 5'8. I got down to 135 about 6 months ago workout out with a trainer and watching what I ate over a 4 month period. But once I stopped with the trainer I kinda let myself go and gained it all back. So starting over again.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I wish I were 10 lbs from goal. But anyway, I once was, and it took me 4 months to get there. I stuck with the calorie level it took to lose (1200 for me); but I upped my exercise even more. I was running a lot already. I started increasing my longer run day, which was 6 miles, to 8-10 miles (usually it was on Sundays). One other thing that really helped me back then was adding in more strength training. I hated it, but I did it for 30 min 3-4 x a week, along with my cardio. This alone really helped me get the last 10 off.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    In the same position I aim for another 7lbs to go - I've started strength training which I haven't done consistently but is definitely challenging me! Keep it going!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I lost my last ten pounds just as quickly as I lost the first eight. Because I created an appropriate deficit for my current weight at each point in the process. That meant stepping down in calories as I got closer to my goal. The calorie deficit that helps you lose early on quickly becomes a much thinner margin as you lose the weight. You have to recalibrate. If 1500 has slowed your progress, step down to 1400. If that's still a glacial pace, step down to 1300. And if all else fails—gasp!—you could always step down to 1200. And if you're really short, you could step down beyond that, but not too much. So yeah, do the math, and lose weight. If the weight's not coming off, you haven't done the math properly.
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 153...I struggle just to get out of the 150s and into the 140s! It happens for a day and then I am right back at 150 and stay there. I've increased, decreased, changed up the exercise, you name it...140 is my goal weigh,, at this rate, I'll never hit it, but I'll look good trying. I'm tired of thinking about a number, if I'm happy with the way I look then I've met my goal. Unfortunately, I only feel this way a couple days a week, ha ha. The remainder of the time I've got my eye on that 140! We will all get to where we want to be, just need to figure out the right recipe to get there.