Breakfast or No Breakfast?

Options
Is it bad to just have a cup of coffee for my breakfast? I logged the calories for the coffee, creamer, and sugar with measuring it all out. I have always been under the impression that I'm supposed to eat breakfast no matter what. But yesterday having breakfast in the morning made me feel horridly more hungry all throughout the day and going by my guidelines of not eating after 8pm to prevent picking and snacking was harder(I still did it but I felt really hungry). Would it be okay to consume all of my calories for the day just in lunch and dinner and small snacks throughout the day?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That's a;; I ever have for breakfast!! I haven't had any problems!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you feel better is what you should do.

Personally, I just drink coffee in the mornings because I'm not hungry and I'm not doing anything strenuous (just working at a desk). However, if I have a long run day, I get up a little early and eat some oatmeal for fuel.

Meal timing is about personal performance and preferences. Eat when it works for you.

This includes after 8pm, if needed. There is no start time in the mornings and there is no cut off time at night.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Whatever you prefer.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options

Personally, I just drink coffee in the mornings because I'm not hungry and I'm not doing anything strenuous (just working at a desk). However, if I have a long run day, I get up a little early and eat some oatmeal for fuel.

Meal timing is about personal performance and preferences. Eat when it works for you.

This includes after 8pm, if needed. There is no start time in the mornings and there is no cut off time at night.

Thanks! The reason I have myself a cut off time at night is because that's when I lounge around with my fiancé and I pick and snak on whatever junk I can find and I know that's not good for me. It's actually really working too! With my cut off time of 8pm I have a snack shortly before then to hold me off for the night and I just drink water. It also makes me feel accomplished like I'm beating myself at something that was a bad habit before and I love it. I even completely cut out soda, which was my main drink 24/7 and it was Mountain Dew code red. I cut it off cold turkey and replaced it with water and no water is all I drink. Yesterday was my first day of not getting a caffeine withdrawal headache so bad that it would bring me I my knees and bring me to tears. With drinking water (and the occasional cup of coffee) and cutting my junk binging I feel great!
    I appreciate your response, it was useful and I'll keep it in mind of eating breakfast for fuel when I know I have a strenuous day ahead of me :)
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast makes you more mentally aware throughout the day. I eat breakfast every day.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast makes you more mentally aware throughout the day. I eat breakfast every day.

I agree with other posters: this totally depends on each individual...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Thanks! The reason I have myself a cut off time at night is because that's when I lounge around with my fiancé and I pick and snak on whatever junk I can find and I know that's not good for me. It's actually really working too! With my cut off time of 8pm I have a snack shortly before then to hold me off for the night and I just drink water. It also makes me feel accomplished like I'm beating myself at something that was a bad habit before and I love it. I even completely cut out soda, which was my main drink 24/7 and it was Mountain Dew code red. I cut it off cold turkey and replaced it with water and no water is all I drink. Yesterday was my first day of not getting a caffeine withdrawal headache so bad that it would bring me I my knees and bring me to tears. With drinking water (and the occasional cup of coffee) and cutting my junk binging I feel great!
    I appreciate your response, it was useful and I'll keep it in mind of eating breakfast for fuel when I know I have a strenuous day ahead of me :)

If not eating after 8pm is working for you, then by all means go for it! :smile:

I just wanted to stress that there is no cut off time because many people believe that anything you eat after a certain time will turn to fat automatically. That's not the case. Our bodies work 24/7 to metabolize our food. They don't shut down at 6pm or 8pm or even 10pm. But behavior modification is a big part of weight loss, so if you manage your day better by having a cutoff at 8pm, good for you! That's why personal preference is so important.
  • kristenn9715
    kristenn9715 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel like everyone always says that you must eat a breakfast. idk i dont really think that. It's not like ur gonna gain weight from not eating breakfast lol. At least i don't. I'd eat breakfast one day then not another day. I dont think it really matters. But it's probably best to eat breakfast. Apparently that should be ur biggest meal of the day
  • lizj0nes21
    Options

If not eating after 8pm is working for you, then by all means go for it! :smile:

I just wanted to stress that there is no cut off time because many people believe that anything you eat after a certain time will turn to fat automatically. That's not the case. Our bodies work 24/7 to metabolize our food. They don't shut down at 6pm or 8pm or even 10pm. But behavior modification is a big part of weight loss, so if you manage your day better by having a cutoff at 8pm, good for you! That's why personal preference is so important.

Thanks! You've been a lot of help, I appreciate it! :)<3
  • albayin
    Options

Amen!
    :drinker:
  • albayin
    Options
    Isn't it the Kellogg's company who primarily promoted this breakfast idea? Just saying...
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do as well on my non-breakfast days as I do on my breakfast days. I eat depending on my mood and hunger.

Meal timing is a preference and does not determine success.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Coffee works for me :flowerforyou:

OP, if eating breakfast works for you, then, by all means, eat it. But you don't have to eat specific meals or at specific times to lose weight.
  • bbylaura22
    Options
    When you wake up in the morning your metabolism is at an all time high, that's the best time to eat a lot of calories because your body can handle it and it won't turn into fat. At night, I'd say anywhere after 8, your metabolism slows down and calories will be processed into fat cells, not energy cells.

If you're trying to be healthy, yes, eat breakfast. Nothing too big but at least something.

If you're trying to lose weight, no, you don't have to.

Personally I eat breakfast now because I go straight to my workout after and I'm exhausted if I don't eat anything. But if you're not doing much throughout the day, I wouldn't eat the calories. :)
  • albayin
    Options
    When you wake up in the morning your metabolism is at an all time high, that's the best time to eat a lot of calories because your body can handle it and it won't turn into fat. At night, I'd say anywhere after 8, your metabolism slows down and calories will be processed into fat cells, not energy cells.

If you're trying to be healthy, yes, eat breakfast. Nothing too big but at least something.

Personally I eat breakfast now because I go straight to my workout after and I'm exhausted if I don't eat anything. But if you're not doing much throughout the day, I wouldn't eat the calories. :)

How does my body know it's 8 pm and needs to slow down? just curious...
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options

No. Just...no.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    In for science :drinker:
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love a big breakfast and would become a serial killer without it. I need sustenance in the morning! My hubby, on the other hand, rarely eats breakfast and loves a big lunch instead. Find what works for you and just stick to it...Good luck :)
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    I only ever have a coffee, Actimel drink & a banana before going to work, I usually have my proper breakfast (oats so simple, weetabix or toast) about 2-3 hours after starting work. xXx