Olive oil vs. Vegetable Oil

Options
I enjoy making a light meal after my work out. Usually it consists of an egg and a slice of toast. While cooking today, I noticed that we had vegetable AND olive oil in the cupboard. I've used both, and they generally taste the same, but I was curious if one was healthier than the other.

Also, any good after work out meal/snack that you enjoy and is easy to make? :) Thanks!

Replies

• rjgazray
    rjgazray Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hear olive oil is better for you than vegetable oil. And I like having fruit (almost any kind) after workouts and crackers or stir-fried veggies (in very little oil). I like your egg and toast idea.
  • mysteryfoxes
    Options
    Oh I adore stir-fry! Vegetables are fantastic. haha
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    olive oil is better for u
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil is healthier for you than Vegetable Oils. Vegetable Oils are also not as natural as Olive Oils.

I pretty much only use Olive Oil in my house, I use Olive Oil, and I use Olive Oil Pam, and my butter is even made out of Olive Oil.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I cook my eggs (and other pan fries) in PAM

Sorry I know that was not the topic. Just saying :bigsmile:
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil is healthier for you than Vegetable Oils. Vegetable Oils are also not as natural as Olive Oils.

I pretty much only use Olive Oil in my house, I use Olive Oil, and I use Olive Oil Pam, and my butter is even made out of Olive Oil.

same here. although I bought this bottle/pump/sprayer at kroger to put my olive oil in and it sprays it for me :) I love it :D
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    EVO has better for you fats in it. However, EVO should not be used for high temp cooking/frying. Save the EVO for low heat sauces and cold dressings and dipping. Use the vegetable oil for high heat cooking and grilling. The high heat changes the chemical make up of EVO and changes the good fats to bad fats. EVO also has a much lower burn temp than vegetable oil.
  • mysteryfoxes
    Options
    Oh I forgot they had Olive Oil PAM. Nice! :)
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is better, as many comments have stated. I use egg beaters to defy cholesterol, fat & calories with Pam Olive Oil spray. I generally don't use oils at all, not even butter. I use I can't believe it's not butter spray instead, and ICBINB Light Olive Oil Spread if it's necessary. I prefer not to spend my calories on fats :) Post workout I usually like something with complex carbs & protein plus lots of water, sometimes with a crystal light tube in the bottle too!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    EVO has better for you fats in it. However, EVO should not be used for high temp cooking/frying. Save the EVO for low heat sauces and cold dressings and dipping. Use the vegetable oil for high heat cooking and grilling. The high heat changes the chemical make up of EVO and changes the good fats to bad fats. EVO also has a much lower burn temp than vegetable oil.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing cause I was using olive oil for everything I cooked.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I cook my eggs (and other pan fries) in PAM

Sorry I know that was not the topic. Just saying :bigsmile:

I use blue menu low sodium chicken broth...you can't taste it ( I asked my family if they could tell)
  • samiko
    samiko Posts: 34
    Options

That is true, olive oil does have a low burn point, better to use for light sauteeing OR in salads ect...A better oil to use rather than vegetable oil is COCONUT OIL. It has a high burn point and is a Healthy Saturated Fat. Google it and read up on it..LOTS OF GOOD STUFF!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

I thought all oils changed composition in high heat, which is what makes fried foods quite so bad for you as they are?

For me personally, I generally use PAM but I'll use which ever oil I think goes best with the flavor of what I'm cooking(I can taste a distinct difference in the oils). Cuz I do wut I want, it's just how I roll.
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I typically work out right after I get home from work so I don't lose any momentum. Then I have a nice sandwich with some baked lays for dinner. My favorite is a ham bagel with honey mustard cream cheese.

1 100% whole wheat Nature's Own bagel
    6 slices Oscar Meyer Virginia brand ham
    Enough honey mustard cream cheese to spread on both sides of bagel thinly
    1/4 avacado sliced thin

Honey Mustard Cream Cheese
    1/2 of an 8 oz tub of Whipped Cream Cheese
    2 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 tbsp honey

So simple and delicious!
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I always use olive oil, we don't even buy any other type of oil.

For after workout snack lately I've been having a serving of 0% fat greek yogurt... it's low cal, high protein, and tasty.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I thought all oils changed composition in high heat, which is what makes fried foods quite so bad for you as they are?

For me personally, I generally use PAM but I'll use which ever oil I think goes best with the flavor of what I'm cooking(I can taste a distinct difference in the oils). Cuz I do wut I want, it's just how I roll.

I don't know about the change in composition, but I always figured that fried foods are bad because of the sheer volume of fat that cooks into it from being submerged in the oil.

Also, on an unrelated note, another oil that has a high smoke point and is good for high-heat cooking is peanut oil. No, it doesn't taste like peanuts. :)