Feeling Discouraged :-(

Options
I don't know if I made a mistake by looking in a full length mirror naked, but OMG. I'm now very discouraged. I've honestly been working out at least 6 days a week. Cardio and 3 days a weight machines.

I've been logging my diet and have been within my numbers, maybe a little high in the sodium department here and there. I guess what I'm trying to say is, although I am not perfect in the eating department, I'm trying and feel pretty confident that a 3 lb weight gain could not be due to excess fat? I've read it's probably carbs, which it could be, although I'm within my carb range.

Over the past 9 months I've started lifting weights or doing weight machines along with ample cardio machines and running.

The scale keeps going up, which isn't necessarily the problem. My Omron shows that I'm at a body fat that bounes between 28 and 29.5, which is down from the higher number of 31. something.

It's the fact that I still see so much chunk. I'm strong in appearance in my upper arms to my upper back, from my lower thigh to my feet, :-) But the area in between is really letting me down!

I have to keep telling myself that I am trying. I could make some changes in my diet, but it sure does hurt to workout so much and do the lifting for months and not see results.

Thanks for listening folks. My pitty party is somewhat over. Now to go workout on the stepper.

How does everyone else get past this? Would love to hear......

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Are you actually measuring your food with a scale and measuring cups? You may be eating more than you think.

Also high sodium will make you retain more water. It would be much easier if we could see your diary.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I so know your struggles. My recommendation would be to change things up. Diet or exercise or both. Sometimes when you do the same thing for too long your body gets used to your doing and adjusts your metabolism.

God bless,
    Karen
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all of your food and measuring free-pouring liquids?

Are you taking measurements?

Are you taking progress photos?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Its hard to give much advice without seeing your diary. What is your calorie goal, and how many do you eat every day? How many calories do you burn while working out, how do you calculate them, and do you eat them back?

Since your body fat % seems to be dropping, there might be a bit of recomp going on. How are your clothes fitting?

Working out is so good for you. It has many benefits, other than just for losing weight. Keep it up!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all of your food and measuring free-pouring liquids?

Are you taking measurements?

Are you taking progress photos?

This.

Also, assuming that you're logging very accurately, if you're not losing, then you may need to reduce your intake a bit.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The belly area is always the last to go for me or the first to put any weight on as well. Basically you can not spot reduce and the only way to lose it is to lose belly fat because I do abs 3 days a week and it took forever to flatten that area. The thing that made a huge difference was lowering body fat% and watching processed carbs. You will get there, but it can take a bit of time so don't get discouraged....just look at how far you have come and know that you are working towards something really great! Best wishes!
  • wvmark41
    wvmark41 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Like Karen said,

"
    I so know your struggles. My recommendation would be to change things up. Diet or exercise or both. Sometimes when you do the same thing for too long your body gets used to your doing and adjusts your metabolism.

God bless,
    Karen"

You will lose weight if you're watching the calories and exercising 3 - 5 times a week. Drink plenty of good, old fashioned water - especially first thing in the morning and following a workout. I plateaued for a month with no changes whatsoever, but I kept on the plan. I changed my workouts so that I began exercising different muscles and the same muscles differently. All of a sudden I was losing 2 - 3 pounds each week the next month.

You ARE on the right track by posting in the forums. That's what's great about this website! You can get support by so many people - many who have been in the same situation as you.

Don't give up. Don't look in the mirror again until after St. Patty's day. :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Diet is what matters the most... It won't matter how much you work out if you eat too much. Weigh and log everything you eat.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also over what time span did you gain 3 lbs?
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Chances are the weight didn't get there overnight, so you should expect that it will take time to get where you would like to be. I find that when I indulge in sweets, I see growth around the middle. Everyone is different - just mentioning this in case the same could apply to you. Don't give up! One day at a time. Lots of veggies and lots of water and of course routine exercise. You can do this! Many others have shown us it can be done! :flowerforyou:
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    The belly area is always the last to go for me or the first to put any weight on as well. Basically you can not spot reduce and the only way to lose it is to lose belly fat because I do abs 3 days a week and it took forever to flatten that area. The thing that made a huge difference was lowering body fat% and watching processed carbs. You will get there, but it can take a bit of time so don't get discouraged....just look at how far you have come and know that you are working towards something really great! Best wishes!

i second this and what everyone else said about your food logging.

i would like to help. i know a routine that will make your body burn cals/ fats 24/7
    rome is not built in a day.
    patience there young grasshopper!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I don't think any woman ( I don't know about men. They all think they're fine regardless.) think they look good naked. The mirror can be cruel and we're critical of ourselves. And that's too bad. We ought to love our bodies no matter where we are with out weight.

But exercise does not have any significant effect on weight or calories. It simply tones us, gives us muscle. A lot depends on your age. If you're young, you'll get your shape back. If you're older, maybe not. Meno causes us to keep a gut no matter what.

Bio electric scales really are not accurate. Calipers are the only accurate way to measure body fat.

But don't sweat how you look in the mirror. Consider only how you feel in your clothes and how you feel in general. You should be after good health and not especially a hot body.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! One Day at a time!!!

I didn't think I could do it ..I was so big, I couldn't even fit into a 3x anymore. Now I'm in a Small-Med-Max Large....If I can do it ..YOU CAN! I worked out at home constantly as being busy father..

I started with 10 sit ups a day sixteen months ago, continued to gradually increase the sits up! Started using barbells! Doing these reps twice a day for 12 months only doing 100 in the morning 100 at night ..I lost over 183 Pounds! I still ate what I wanted, but it's what I want to work off! I never though I'd have a six pack, but this hasn't taken long at all! I was too over weight to even tie my shoes or walk up the stairs without sweating! If anyone is reading this who was me a year and a half ago! Start with basic situps! I'm a father of three! So were always busy! If you can eat a bag of chips, you can afford 5 minutes a day for sit ups ...No one ever though I would loose the weight!Everyone - give it a shot ....thanks for all of the motivational help!

BTW - No Shakes, nothing extra. Only vitamins! C,D,B12...
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you have been lifting for 9 months, part could definitely be muscle. If you have been overestimating your calories, maybe you did an accidental little bulk :D Maybe the lifting is showing great progress, lol!
  • ebbandflow
    ebbandflow Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You (ccmzone) just wrote the same message to my post not two minutes ago. Yawn.
  • ebbandflow
    ebbandflow Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! One Day at a time!!!

I didn't think I could do it ..I was so big, I couldn't even fit into a 3x anymore. Now I'm in a Small-Med-Max Large....If I can do it ..YOU CAN! I worked out at home constantly as being busy father..

I started with 10 sit ups a day sixteen months ago, continued to gradually increase the sits up! Started using barbells! Doing these reps twice a day for 12 months only doing 100 in the morning 100 at night ..I lost over 183 Pounds! I still ate what I wanted, but it's what I want to work off! I never though I'd have a six pack, but this hasn't taken long at all! I was too over weight to even tie my shoes or walk up the stairs without sweating! If anyone is reading this who was me a year and a half ago! Start with basic situps! I'm a father of three! So were always busy! If you can eat a bag of chips, you can afford 5 minutes a day for sit ups ...No one ever though I would loose the weight!Everyone - give it a shot ....thanks for all of the motivational help!

BTW - No Shakes, nothing extra. Only vitamins! C,D,B12...
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hey there Lady!!!!

You know....we all have down days.......depending on the light ( can you say dressing room???)....being naked in a mirror? Not so much fun. But though we all look at ourselves with a critical eye, do you make a point of addressing your good points too? I used to hate that I have big butt, big thighs. Now? Love. It is the way God made me, and I embrace the way I look ( most of the time), naked or dressed!

I have to agree with the PP: Measure and weigh all food. I can help you tweek your TDEE and BMR if you want. That way you can make sure that you are at enough of a defecit ( but not too much) to lose. Also--don't beat yourself up for feeling like you're not eating the right food. The best way to make changes that are sustainable is to decide what small change you want to make ( giving up soda, for example), and just do that one thing. It takes between12-30 times of doing something to create a new habit. And just as much to break a habit. When you feel like that one change is under control? Pick the next change!

Take PIx and measurements of yourself. You would probably be amazed at the side by side comparisons that you have gotten used to on a daily basis!

Keep on working out. Keep on lifting....give yourself a new goal....something out of reach but within your grasp--if that makes sense! HTH!!!! Chin up!
  • BJW64
    BJW64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Buddy! One of these days, I'm gonna message you and see if you can help me! I've been lifting and I think reading too many different suggestions on how to tone up, lose weight, gain muscle. I love the Eat More 2 Weigh Less site and the New Rules of Lifting.

I feel like I'm at the in between time, where you try to eat at TDEE, and to which I haven't actually checked to see where I stand, just know my total eaten, but also see the scale going up. (Along with the weight that I'm lifting).

I do not drink enough water.

I know I eat too many carbs.

I'm still in the Weight Watchers Points Plus mode, which started to fail me in September. My "wrestler weight cutting" tactics stopped working. Yeah, If I told everyone about them, they'd know I was obsessed with the scale for sure.

So, recently, I stopped taking water pills a couple times a day and taking laxatives, and wearing plastic suits... all the crazy things.... So, I ok with a few pounds, but with the lifting and stopping of water loss stuff it's more like 15 lbs. So....

I also started to use creatine powder a couple weeks back and not sure if this is right for me, either. I'm now feeling very heavy on the inside if this makes sense. When I run, my legs feel like logs. My guts feel the same way.

I haven't given up, and I know I could tweak everything about my diet, workouts, etc. But I've honestly been working out hard, and doing my best to watch what goes in. Not all good, but I am aware.

So, I'm gonna see what you can do to help me! :-) That is, if you don't think I'm off the deep end!

Oh and if I didn't mention it, I do have a 21 year old special needs son at home, so I have to get it done in a certain amount of time, while I have someone to watch. At times, I do workout at home, doing dvds and that's not a problem with Matt Man. He cheers me on! :-)
  • BJW64
    BJW64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my post below is in response to conniedj, but is for everyone to get a peek at I guess the reason I am where I am today...

Any tips and pointers welcome.

I truly appreciate all the kind words and motivation everyone has given me today! <<hugs>>
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    you cant out workout a bad diet. a body can only take in so much calories dependig on height , weight and age of a person.

use this for reference only

calculate your BMI and find out your normal weight range. you can do that here...
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

once you know your target weight, now you can calculate your BMR. you can do that here....
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

next - update your diet profile on MFP.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

- type in current weight
    - adjust goal weight
    - adjust activities

- adjust goal (i.e lose 1lb/week)

for example if you have a 2400 calories suggested by MFP, eat 100-400calories deficit 5x/week and stay within your cals on weekend.

you can eat anything you want just like I do and still lose weight. but for the meantime, lets train your body to eat whole foods, drink plenty of water and stay away from processed foods 5x/week. you can eat them proceesed and some extra but not binge on weekends or feast.