getting up early to work out!

Options
I have such a hard time getting up to workout but, altimatly this would be much better for me and my family if I did. Please help me with more incouraging words!!!!!

THANKS

Replies

• dukesduchess350
    dukesduchess350 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just think after you get up and work out you'll have that extra energy to make it through the day.:happy:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Get your workout clothes ready the night before, everything you need. Set your alarm (and have the coffee pot set to be done 5 minutes before the alarm).. don't hit snooze. Once the workout is done you don't have to worry about fitting it in later.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
    -Nike
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    If you need more motivation, go here http://www.gym-pact.com/ (no affiliation). Does the idea of loosing a 100 usd by being lazy motivate you to get out of bed.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've found that its better to ease into the morning workout rather than going full force. Maybe start with just two times a week for a month, then add a third day, etc until you are used to it. It is so nice to have that time to yourself in the morning and not have to find a way to squeeze it in later in the day.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time getting up to workout but, altimatly this would be much better for me and my family if I did. Please help me with more incouraging words!!!!!

THANKS

Go to bed early. It is the only way. However, sleep trumps early morning workouts. If you are skimping on sleep just to be able to work out, that's really not good for you in the long run. Cortisol and all that other stuff blah blah.
  • atactic
    atactic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just remember this is only hard for the first 21 days, after that it's a habit...
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The first couple days that you do this suck!! realize that you aren't alone and that it gets better. Once you get in a routine (like someone said above-- 21 times) it gets easier. You can do it!! plus morning workouts are the best because you start your day in an awesome way!!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Get everything together the night before. Move your alarm clock so you are forced to get out of bed to turn it off. If mornings are really tough for you, easing into it might help. You could start by breaking up your workout and only doing 15 min the first few days, then increasing the time as your body adjusts, doing the rest of your workout later in the day. It might cut down on the shock of the adjustment and help you stick to it more than going cold turkey.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for year and love it. I agree with the others you have to prepared the night before. Try it you will like it!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    almost daily i say i am getting up early to work out and i very rarely ever do. i am just one of them people who love to get up early but do not like to move fast early. my daughter and her husband have two toddlers who have to be shuffled off to daycare like by 7am and then the parents both are off to work so no time in the morning. my daughter tried early first thing but would wake the kids up by working out and then they would get in the way as most kids do at that age. she finally decided to workout after work and go straight to her friends house where they work out together in peace.
  • baristagirl7
    baristagirl7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I got up early! I am so proud of myself! The best part is the program I started is 30 minutes daily. No more No Less.. So I don't have to change the clock for longer/shorter workouts!

I am a busy Mom of 2 boys who I have to get up get them dressed, feed them, pack lunches and bundled them up!

I LOVEEEE Sleep. But I also love to workout!

Thanks for all the ideas!
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Good job.. Ive been working out for about 7 years at 5:30... I had the opportunity to switch to afternoons and I was so excited! However, after about a week I went back to mornings...
    I found that I love getting it done early, out of the way, dont have to shower again!, sets the tone for a healthy day and I was sleeping better! It is never fun getting out of bed... but you just do it!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Good job! I've been doing early AM workouts since March -- first it was outdoor running. But when winter began and it was really cold out, I tried to switch my workouts to after work. No good! Too much to do with hubby and kids at that time of day! So now I'm back to 5am wakeups and indoor workout videos. I consider it "cross training." Some days I bounce out of bed, some days I whine. But it NEVER FAILS that by the end of the day I'm GLAD I got up early and got that part of my day out of the way.

Keep it up! It's worth it!
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    Yeah!!!
    Ive found once you get into a routine in the AM..you stick with it better.

I get up at 5AM to do my 30 minute workout, feed my animals outside, get a shower, get kiddo up, make breakfast and out the door by 7:30..

its alittle more tempting to hit snooze on these COLD mornings when Id rather stay snuggled in bed next t DH..but I know its hard for me to do my workout in the evening due to everyone being up and around..
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Light helps stimulate your brain and let your body know it is time to get up. I get up before dawn around 5:15/5:30am to workout, but I don't want to wake up my husband by turning on the lights, so I grab my phone (which charges on the nightstand) and take a quick peak at something right after my alarm goes off. It doesn't really matter (look at the weather app/ check email/ look at facebook or myfitnesspal/ check the headlines of your favorite online newspaper), but once you look at that bright screen for a minute of two, you'll find yourself more awake and alert. That is also why I try *not* to look at my phone (or any electronics) right before going to bed.

I also lay my workout clothes out the night before and place a glass of water on my night stand so I can have a drink first thing before getting out of bed.

If you still find you are having trouble -- You can download an alarm clock app to your phone (if you have a smart phone) called Sleep Cycle. You give it a 30 minute window of when you'd like to wake up and you place your phone at the top of the bed (right above where you sleep). It senses your movement and gauges what part of your sleep cycle you are in so that it can wake you during your lightest possible sleep state. For instance, it is much harder to wake up if your in a REM stage or deep sleep. It's pretty cool. I use it sometimes.

Good luck.
  • aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This morning was my first morning workout. I got up at 0530 (I usually get up at 0630) so I could do my Jillian Michael's 30 day shred first thing in the morning. I started the 30 day shred on 1/1 but the only TV with a DVD is always occupied so I struggle with getting in an afternoon/evening workout. I kept missing days. The only way I can fit it in to my life is early so I tried it today and it was awesome. Although I did try for 3 days to get up early with total failure. Hopefully this will motivate me to continue and make it a routine.
  • aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    And two mornings in a row!
  • baristagirl7
    baristagirl7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Keep it up!
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person, but I forced myself to get up every day to work out on the gym quality elliptical that my husband and I purchased. (Best investment ever). I had to to do it everyday without exception - it didn't matter whether I was having my period, or had a cold, or a headache or whatever - no excuses. That worked for me. I even did it on the weekends when I got up. I made it the first things I did. I got to the point, that when I didn't do it, I didn't feel good. I just know myself, and if I didn't do it this way, I would have fallen off the proverbial wagon.

So figure out what works for you and be consistent. You can do it!