everything is an appetizer syndrome?

Options
Does anyone else get this:

So I'm not really hungry but can eat... I've got a small snack planned in the middle of the day (or even late at night). So I eat the snack, butonce I'm done it, I actually GET MORE HUNGRY??

It would seem that I'd actually feel better (less hungry) had I not eaten my snack!! (at least mentally)

I'm sure there's some kind of psychology to this but wondering if anyone can relate.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe it's an insulin thing?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's possibly hedonic hunger (which is a controversial subject but I think there is some merit to it)

See here: http://psychcentral.com/lib/are-we-slaves-to-hedonic-hunger/0001569
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I get this when I've undereaten. What seems to happen is that not eating enough (like if I forget to eat breakfast or lunch or something) causes the hunger signals to shut down temporarily, because it's not meal time. Then, when I do eat, suddenly my body's like woaah there's food around! and whatever shut down the hunger signals switched them on again and I get really hungry

well, not sure if that's exactly what's happening, but any time I feel more hungry after eating than before, it's been a sign that I haven't eaten enough earlier in the day. If I was getting that regularly during a cut, I'd increase my calorie goal.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I can relate. Certain foods, pasta and soup and salad leave me hungry but I tolerate it b/c I know that I just ate and "that's all you get for now" is my mantra. Water is very helpful to me to curb my hunger.
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, too. I keep my appetite in check with small rituals that signal my body (or my subconscious, I suppose) that we're done with eating for the time being: a black coffee, a cup of herbal tea (a touch of bitterness kills the appetite), a piece of hard candy (it's like a dessert), a small serving of citrus fruit. They mark the end of that particular eating session, and I stop there and go no further (most of the time).
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!! I think I'll try signaling an end to my meal, but I'm going to keep in mind all your suggestions. It could be anything!! Frustrating at the very least.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    100% relate. Which is why, over time, I've just gotten to the point where I don't even eat anything until about 6 PM and feast like a king until I go to bed. It works best for me, because I'm just hungry all day if I eat all day.